Trade in value disparity...

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Just went to the att store and picked up my phone and traded in my old note 10+. Got home and looked at the paperwork. The trade in paperwork said tradein value was 95 dollars????? What gives? thought I was supposed to get 1000 in credits!!! or did I miss something? Since I live in another town from the store, I tried calling the store. Found out I cannot call the store directly but got to go through a call center in Texas. I am not opening the new phone box till there is some sort of clarification. Any thoughts while I am waiting for a call back???

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure you get the rest of it in Bill credit that's how it is when you buy a carrier phone... with that said why don't you speak to Verizon and ask them instead of bunch of strangers

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So, many many years ago, they used to lock you into Contracts. They subsidized the phone to near FREE (if not FREE) to lock you into a contract and then charge you a Early Termination Fee if you tried to break it.

Now, contracts are pretty much gone, so, they now give you insane amounts to trade in and buy a subsidized phone, but not "locked" into a traditional contract. They can lock you in now with a Bill Credit they pay you for over time. However, if you terminate, you have to pay whatever balance is due.

Same same, just a different way to do it and calling it anything other than a contract.

Get clarification and go from there.

When I traded in my Z Fold 3, T-Mobile only gave me $161 trade, but total gave me $1000 in credit applied monthly to my bill over 24 months brining my phone payment down from $50/mo to $15.04/mo. If I leave, I have to pay the remaining finance balance and the remaining of the bill applied credit.

Not ideal, still locked in, but if you don't plan on changing, then all good.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I understand trade in credits and all of that because I have always done it on my own. This time I decided to go through a store for the first time. So let me understand, are you saying I am still getting the 1k credit in spite of what the paperwork says.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The initial trade-in value for the iPhone 14 Pro Max when the phones first went up for preorder was $720. Now Samsung has upped it to $800. I may trade in my iPhone for the S23 Ultra now.

BTW, I hope people start suing Verizon and carriers because giving you your trade-in credits over a period of 24 or 36 months is ridiculous. If I give up my fully paid for phone now, I expect the trade in credits now, not spread out over 24 or 36 months. And Verizon told me that if I upgrade that phone within that time period, I lose the credits. So not only do they take my phone, they also screw me out of trade-in credits.

Such BS. This is why I only buy unlocked phones.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Pretty sure you get the rest of it in Bill credit that's how it is when you buy a carrier phone... with that said why don't you speak to Verizon and ask them instead of bunch of strangers

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

didn't quite read my whole post, did you. I said I was with att and was waiting for a call back ;-) I was only asking here doing some advance work from others who did trade at their store.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
The initial trade-in value for the iPhone 14 Pro Max when the phones first went up for preorder was $720. Now Samsung has upped it to $800. I may trade in my iPhone for the S23 Ultra now.

BTW, I hope people start suing Verizon and carriers because giving you your trade-in credits over a period of 24 or 36 months is ridiculous. If I give up my fully paid for phone now, I expect the trade in credits now, not spread out over 24 or 36 months. And Verizon told me that if I upgrade that phone within that time period, I lose the credits. So not only do they take my phone, they also screw me out of trade-in credits.

Such BS. This is why I only buy unlocked phones.

Whats to stop someone from walking away with the new phone if they gave you the whole trade in credit up front? The carriers have to protect themselves somehow.

fuzzywuzzywazzafuzzy

Nov 17, 2022
Visit site
I hate that they lock you into 3 years now on device installment agreements, credits notwithstanding. I've never had a phone more than 18 months. In fact, my S22 is 13 months in and I'm itching for a new device. If they still did 2 year payment agreements I'd get an S23.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
This is why I didn't do the carrier deals. It's not such a good deal if there's a chain around your neck lol.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Value and Credit are 2 different things in this situation. They're only actually valuing your device at $95. But because you're trading it in with them directly, they're giving you $1k credit, spread over time, to your cell bill. Kind of like a car trade-in. The value of the said vehicle may be more or less in value vs the amount they give you towards your new vehicle. The main difference, in this case, is that you can't pay it off early or they penalize you by taking away the credit and you end up paying more in the end.

Sent from my SM-N986U using AC Forums mobile app

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I hate that they lock you into 3 years now on device installment agreements, credits notwithstanding. I've never had a phone more than 18 months. In fact, my S22 is 13 months in and I'm itching for a new device. If they still did 2 year payment agreements I'd get an S23.
Do the numbers I've done it, for my deal on S23U with the $500 trade in versus Verizon $1,000 trade in credits. I have it figured out that around 18 months if you pay the phone off losing the remaining credits you will be around what I'm paying for the phone thru Samsung with the trade in.

So you're probably not going to be at a financial loss compared to what some of us are paying up front now. You're just going to pay it 18 months later if you upgrade sooner. At the 18 month point you might was well wait for the S series that will come out around 6 months later and save another $150 at the 24 month.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Whats to stop someone from walking away with the new phone if they gave you the whole trade in credit up front? The carriers have to protect themselves somehow.

That's your argument? If I give them my device, I should get that credit right away, no questions asked. It's been paid for. They're going to turn around and sell it as "like new" for more money anyways.

Bootlicking for corps is annoying.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That's your argument? If I give them my device, I should get that credit right away, no questions asked. It's been paid for. They're going to turn around and sell it as "like new" for more money anyways.

Bootlicking for corps is annoying.
But they are giving you a premium over what any one else is giving you for that trade in. They are protecting themselves in keeping a customer for a certain amount of time, or recouping their cost if you leave early.

If they were giving the same amount as Samsung then there's an argument there.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
But you aren't really locked in. Well at least on T-Mobile I'm not. If I want to upgrade my phone. I have to pay the remaining balance on the phone. But I can turn around and sell it and then continue to get a credit every month until the promotion is finished.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
But you aren't really locked in. Well at least on T-Mobile I'm not. If I want to upgrade my phone. I have to pay the remaining balance on the phone. But I can turn around and sell it and then continue to get a credit every month until the promotion is finished.
Really.. Verizon you lose the remaining credits

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Really.. Verizon you lose the remaining credits

Unless something recently changed, you don't on T-mobile.

Back when the s9 line was released, we traded our old phones in at T-Mobile for a new s9+ and s9 & received monthly bill credits for each device. My husband didn't like the s9, so next year, when the s10 line came out, he paid off his s9 at T-Mobile. He then took his paid off s9 to Best Buy & traded it in on an unlocked s10+. We continued to get both sets of bill credits. As long as he kept his phone line, there was no problem. On top of it all, we have a really cheap plan.
:)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Unless something recently changed, you don't on T-mobile.

Back when the s9 line was released, we traded our old phones in at T-Mobile for a new s9+ and s9 & received monthly bill credits for each device. My husband didn't like the s9, so next year, when the s10 line came out, he paid off his s9 at T-Mobile. He then took his paid off s9 to Best Buy & traded it in on an unlocked s10+. We continued to get both sets of bill credits. As long as he kept his phone line, there was no problem. On top of it all, we have a really cheap plan.
:)
Another reason T-Mobile is overtaking Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire