Trade in value disparity...

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The trade in credits are part of the agreement so what exactly would anyone sue for?

1. My iPhone is 100% paid for - full retail price.
2. I trade it in to Verizon to upgrade a phone for a quote of $800, I no longer have the phone.
3. I upgrade to a new phone.
4. Verizon will use that iPhone to sell as refurb
5. I no longer have that phone.
6. Verizon will give me the trade-in credits over 36 months for a phone I no longer have.
7. If I upgrade phones next year, I lose that trade-in credit that Verizon profited from and I no longer have that phone. '

See a pattern? They take my phone, sell it, make a profit, and I get screwed out of the device cost if I upgrade.

It's like I'm explaining this to children.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Yeah these contracts are ridiculous.

I bought my note outright through Samsung, and I checked out with Affirm (I've done this with my last 3 phone purchases and it kills the hassle of having to worry about these leased plans) but they only gave me like 400 for my phone

At least Samsung.com gives out trade-in credits RIGHT AWAY instead of the asinine 36 months that Verizon is doing.

I'm going back to T-Mobile. Eff Verizon.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
But... if you don't like the deal, then don't upgrade. If the deal doesn't work for you, then don't upgrade. Find a deal that works for you. They are saying though you want the deal we are offering, then you are commited to x months and this is how it's done. They are not holding a gun to your head to upgrade. :confused:

Most people don't go trading in their phone the next year and happy to stay with the carrier and hold on to the phone for next 2 to 3 years they are offering a deal that is convenient to that customer.

I'm perfectly happy with the deal AT&T offered to get an S23U.
I am perfectly ok with giving them my iPhone 8 for $1000 trade-in instead of using my S22U.
I am perfectly ok with sticking with them for another 36 months.
I've been with them as far back when my invoices said CINGULAR so no plans on moving anyways.
AT&T plan doesn't work for everyone too. If not, go elsewhere.

Does sound like you should go to another carrier or buy from Samsung directly. Good luck.

2. I trade it in to Verizon to upgrade a phone for a quote of $800, I no longer have the phone.
6. Verizon will give me the trade-in credits over 36 months for a phone I no longer have.
7. If I upgrade phones next year, I lose that trade-in credit that Verizon profited from and I no longer have that phone. '

See a pattern? They take my phone, sell it, make a profit, and I get screwed out of the device cost if I upgrade.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Then it's simple.. Carrier trade in credits aren't for you, nobody said carrier trade in credits are good for yearly upgrades. We are beating a dead horse by now I think.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
As I see it, if you don't like the trade in deals, sell your old device yourself, take the money you get along with extra cash and buy the device outright.

That is what I used to do back in the hay-day of the early days of Android. I would upgrade every 6-8 months when something new and shiny came out and rather than going for the subsidized deals, I would buy them outright. Yes, it cost me more money out of pocket, but it worked for me.

Now, I am tired of upgrading every year. I jumped in on the S23 Ultra because I knew it would be a phone I would want to keep for at least 3 years, which is longer than the 24 months of trade-in credit so it's no impact for me at this time.

It has been well established that trade-in deals have string attached, and you you don't want them, then there are other ways. No one is forcing you to take their deals. It's most certainly NOT a lack of options, lack of funds or GOOD options, maybe, but definitely not a lack of options.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

That's why I always sell my newer phone on Swappa or EBay. Any newer phone you're better off selling it yourself. I buy an old Pixel 5A 5G for $135, trade it in to tmobile and get $800 over 24 months. Sell my newer whatever phone and get my money up front for it

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The S23 phone cost $800, but ATT is giving me $1000 credit spread over 36 months. So, $1000/36 = $27.78. Then, $27.78 x 24 = $666.67. $800 - $666.67 = $133.33

Sent from my SM-S911U using AC Forums mobile app
So, ATT was supposed to give me $1000 credit for my S21 trade-in, but when I check my account online it shows I'll be getting $800 credit instead. I hope this is a glitch on their website, as I'm expecting monthly credits for $1000/36 = $27.78. I won't know for sure until I see my first bill.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up, to hopefully give some others some hope or peace of mind. Sent my trade-in last week. It was received yesterday in TN. Just got a text and email confirming my trade-in for the full trade-in value. N20U for $350 direct with Samsung.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Seems al the TIV have gone up in the past few days.. my Note 10+ was 210, now 410, since I returned to the original S23U to change color, might have to jump in again.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I hope people start suing Verizon and carriers because giving you your trade-in credits over a period of 24 or 36 months is ridiculous.
Sue them for what? They clearly advertise the terms of their offer, and you can decide whether to accept it. For people who want to keep their phone and their carrier and their plan for three years, it's a great deal. For others, it isn't, and there are lots of alternatives to choose from.

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Sue them for what? They clearly advertise the terms of their offer, and you can decide whether to accept it. For people who will keep their phone and their carrier and their plan for three years, it's a great deal. For others, it isn't, and there are lots of alternatives to choose from.

I guess it is a great deal for some and me and my husband I always like to own our phones outright and now have our bill be any higher and don't keep our phones over 2 years but now I am worried cause I have a friend on my account and she has an S10 and I chatted with 2 people over the weekend and got different answers. Then yesterday went to Best Buy and their Verizon paper said up to $800 but their $100 gift card promotion had ended the day before. So down the street we go to Verizon and the guy there said go through your app you may get a better deal and he took my phone and punched everything in and said something about loyalty and he goes oh you will get a $1000 for your phone so the S23 plus will be free and everyone said she is good on her start unlimited plan no plan change and my bill will be the same after 1-2 billing cycles. I hope so! My friend keeps her phones for a long time as you can see she has her S10 from when we were on Sprint way back. I called and got the $35 upgrade fee already credited it was noted in my account from the chat guy so she only owes taxes of like $62 so I guess it is a good deal for some people.

I just hope my bill does stay the same cause one chat guy after saying everything was free and she owed taxes and upgrade fee he said and your new bill total will be and it was like 8 to $10 more. But everyone else her phone is free bill will stay the same you will see $27.77 for 36 months with a credit after so we will see. She did buy 3 accessories their and got 20% off and she liked my lavender but it's on B/O so she won't get it for a couple weeks he only had one plus in stock and it was black. She got a Symmetry clear glitter a Zagg and a 45W brick.

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Sue them for what? They clearly advertise the terms of their offer, and you can decide whether to accept it. For people who want to keep their phone and their carrier and their plan for three years, it's a great deal. For others, it isn't, and there are lots of alternatives to choose from.

It's just amazing people here just support this and don't care. It's a goddamn ripoff and borderline theft, that's what it is. They literally take your phone and give you payments over 36 months instead of immediately, and if you upgrade your phone, you lose out on its value. They literally steal it, resell it for money, then don't give you what you're owed. Just because they show that in the fine print doesn't make it ok. How do people not get that?

This is why I moved back to T-Mobile. I trade in my phone and I get instant credit for a new phone - no BS. I will not go back to Verizon until they fix their trade-in scam. I even sent an email to my state Attorney General alerting him of this practice. It is NOT okay.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up, to hopefully give some others some hope or peace of mind. Sent my trade-in last week. It was received yesterday in TN. Just got a text and email confirming my trade-in for the full trade-in value. N20U for $350 direct with Samsung.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

It's amazing that you received a response already....They received mine last Thursday