Trying to get on Verizon before 7/7

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought the Black Berry uses a different type of dataplan. And once to switch over to Android or Iphone you essentially change your type data plan which basically puts you into tiered rate after 7/7.

Or did they decide to allow going from Black Berry to Android without killing the unlimited.

ClemC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I thought the Black Berry uses a different type of dataplan. And once to switch over to Android or Iphone you essentially change your type data plan which basically puts you into tiered rate after 7/7.

Or did they decide to allow going from Black Berry to Android without killing the unlimited.

I just got off the phone with Verizon customer service because your question made me nervous and inquiring minds want to know (my smartphone is a Win Mobile, but hey, if it get's me grandfathered in I'm cool!) . The rep I talked to said that as long as you are switching to another smartphone you will not lose the unlimited data plan. Of course all that may or may not change between now and the 7th. Here's hoping not!

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If so that is good. What I mentioned I had heard when the pricing details first came out but I didn't find anything that proved otherwise. Hopefully your source was correct. I activated today an old win mobile omnia i910 on one of our vacant lines through the website. I was a little concern because it came up as a blackberry plan.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wait so can you or can you not activate a used phone and then use the discount on a bionic/function later? Is there a consensus?

You cannot. You would HAVE to be under contract with the phone in order to retain your unlimited data when you sign the new contract for the bionic.

ClemC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You cannot. You would HAVE to be under contract with the phone in order to retain your unlimited data when you sign the new contract for the bionic.

Not saying you're wrong, but when I look at my account on Verizon's website it still shows that I am eligible for an "Upgrade at Discounted Price + $50 Credit". Here's hoping you're wrong good sir!:D

SpaceCracker

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store yesterday and explained that i wanted to activate an old phone with unlimited data before the 7th and later get the Bionic when it comes out because i didnt like any of the phones they had right now and the lady said I would be grandfathered in. I'm still nervous though.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
They are very clear that you have to be under contract prior to 7/7 with unlimited data if you want to keep unlimited after 7/7. If you are not currently under a 3G or 4G unlimited contract I would buy a cheap phone and activate your unlimited data plan now.

ucop27

May 10, 2011
Visit site
They are very clear that you have to be under contract prior to 7/7 with unlimited data if you want to keep unlimited after 7/7. If you are not currently under a 3G or 4G unlimited contract I would buy a cheap phone and activate your unlimited data plan now.

Call me confused, I have 2 OG droids, I am currently not under a 2 yr contract as that expired a couple months ago. So if I undertsand you correctly, when I upgrade to the bionic I then would loose unlimited data on both phones?

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Call me confused, I have 2 OG droids, I am currently not under a 2 yr contract as that expired a couple months ago. So if I undertsand you correctly, when I upgrade to the bionic I then would loose unlimited data on both phones?

You need to Take your Droid(s) and get yourself on a contract. If you go in after 7/7 to sign a contract on Lets say the Bionic, you will be forced into Tiered Data because you were not locked into a contract prior to 7/7.

I am eligible for my last NE2 on 7/6, but my contract isn't up until 11/6. So as long as I "renew" or "upgrade" my existing contract before my contract expires I will be fine. But lets say I went in on 11/7 one day after my contract expired and I wanted to buy the Bionic, I would get forced into Tiered Data.

rustymini

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I left Sprint on June 27th I got the 450 minutes($39.99)-250 texts($5)-unlimited data($29.99). I know tax and such is added on after,but my bill is not any bigger than with Sprint- it's actually a little less.:D I was going to get the iPhone,but I got the DX2(I had the evo4g). I might go for the iPhone in the future who knows.:-\
I left because my bill was getting messed up,I was a premier member until the gold and silver(you guessed it I wasn't paying enough and I hadn't been with them since the stone age),and finally, CS was lousy,etc. I'm not bashing Sprint just stating my experiences.
You get grandfathered in before July 8th,and even if you upgrade in the near future you still get unlimited data. I asked the mgr..............So if you want to switch-hurry.........................
And yes, you only get 1 return and you keep your 2nd phone. I hope I helped or informed someone. I'm new to these forums.:)

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I left Sprint on June 27th I got the 450 minutes($39.99)-250 texts($5)-unlimited data($29.99). I know tax and such is added on after,but my bill is not any bigger than with Sprint- it's actually a little less.:D I was going to get the iPhone,but I got the DX2(I had the evo4g). I might go for the iPhone in the future who knows.:-\
I left because my bill was getting messed up,I was a premier member until the gold and silver(you guessed it I wasn't paying enough and I hadn't been with them since the stone age),and finally, CS was lousy,etc. I'm not bashing Sprint just stating my experiences.
You get grandfathered in before July 8th,and even if you upgrade in the near future you still get unlimited data. I asked the mgr..............So if you want to switch-hurry.........................
And yes, you only get 1 return and you keep your 2nd phone. I hope I helped or informed someone. I'm new to these forums.:)

yeah that has been pretty much the concensous is that as long as you are on a "smartphone" unlimited data package you will be ok post 7/7 to keep your unlimited.

ClemC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
This isn't a whole lot more clear, but this is what I got from a customer service rep at Verizon a few minutes ago.

I specifically told her that my two year contract obligation was up over a year ago and had just signed up for the unlimited data plan feature. I then asked her would upgrading to another smartphone and signing a new two year contract in the process force me to go to a tiered data plan. She said, based on current information they as customer service reps have, I would not. The reason being, according to her, is that the unlimited data plan is a feature that can activated or cancelled at any time.

I'm not completely mollified, but I think I'm just going to take my chances and if they force me to go to a tiered plan I'll just go back to a feature phone.:-\

libertao

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well after doing more thinking on it than I should for a just a phone, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Costco membership and a Charge from them today. If I don't like the Charge, I'll exchange it for a Bionic (or Function?) when it comes out. Annoying because Amazon Wireless is so much cheaper and I wasn't planning on joining Costco again, but I think several years from now I could be kicking myself for letting this unlimited data window pass. :p

wjporter6

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Another 7/7 Thread

Hello all,

I realize that there are many many threads about the upcoming Tiered Data implementation, but I have not been able to figure out exactly what I need to do in order to lock into unlimited. I am currently using a feature phone on one of four lines on a family plan.

Will I need to open a new line on a new plan, or can I simply acquire a used smartphone and activate it along with unlimited data on my existing line by Thursday? I'll be eligible for an upgrade on my existing line by the time the Bionic comes out, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get the Bionic at the upgrade price on my existing line if possible.

I realize people are probably getting tired of answering questions like this, but I trust you all more than my local Verizon reps.

Thanks in advance!

ffac789

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Another 7/7 Thread

As far as I know, you need to have a data package and it has to be for a smartphone, not a feature phone, in order to be locked into unlimited.

ShockHouse

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, you must have a smartphone and not a feature phone with unlimited data. I was in the same boat as you and so i got a used blackberry with unlimited yesterday to lock in for the Bionic. So just look for a used one off craigslist or something is your best bet.

jaymelanie

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, you must have a smartphone and not a feature phone with unlimited data. I was in the same boat as you and so i got a used blackberry with unlimited yesterday to lock in for the Bionic. So just look for a used one off craigslist or something is your best bet.
wjporter6, I did just as you were thinking about (and reiterated by ShockHouse). I had an LG ENV3 feature phone so I needed a smartphone data plan and didn't want to use my upgrade discount until the Bionic comes out. So I got an Incredible on Craigslist ($125), activated it with the unlimited data plan and I'm good to go once the Bionic comes out. Then I'll just relist the phone I'm currently using.
I had inquired at Verizon if I could simply put an unlimited data plan on my feature phone and still be grandfathered in and they told me that it would definitely not be grandfathered in. You absolutely need a smartphone plan. So go check out Craigslist or eBay for a cheap 3G phone. Best of luck.