Trying to get on Verizon before 7/7

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Another 7/7 Thread

My mother in law had a flip phone on Verizon prepaid. Last night I JUST switched her over to my family plan and switched her to my old BB Tour. She now has a unlimited data, and she is eligible for an upgrade at any time.

With that said, if you can get on another person's family plan and get a used smartphone, you will be able to have an automatic upgrade eligible right away. I do not know if this will work with a NEW plan. Personally I would go and ask if you can get a new plan with a used smartphone and be able to keep the "Discounted Upgrade" price for later or not.

If not, just go buy the Charge now, it is a good phone. You have until tomorrow.

Edit: Sorry I originally mis read your post as not having VZW, Just buy a used phone today, have the owner email you the ID code and activate it tomorrow so you will have unlimited since it will probably not get to you before 7/7 now. and jsut deal with being without a phone for now.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Well after doing more thinking on it than I should for a just a phone, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Costco membership and a Charge from them today. If I don't like the Charge, I'll exchange it for a Bionic (or Function?) when it comes out. Annoying because Amazon Wireless is so much cheaper and I wasn't planning on joining Costco again, but I think several years from now I could be kicking myself for letting this unlimited data window pass. :p

Thing is bud you don't HAVE to lock in a phone if you are already on a smartphone data unlimited. If you are on a feature phone yeah you need to go grab an old android/blackberry phone fast but if you already have unlimited Smartphone (Blackberry and Android are one data package now) you are ok.

libertao

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thing is bud you don't HAVE to lock in a phone if you are already on a smartphone data unlimited. If you are on a feature phone yeah you need to go grab an old android/blackberry phone fast but if you already have unlimited Smartphone (Blackberry and Android are one data package now) you are ok.
Thanks, but I was on AT&T, that was the problem.

I think there's a catch with the Costco plan though, the guy at the kiosk said that you can get cash back for the phone before 90 days, BUT after 14 days have passed you cannot get the discounted upgrade from Verizon so really you are SOL. In other words, if I return the Charge on August 4th, they'll give me back $179 but switching to the Bionic will cost the ~$700 out-of-contract price. So I had to decide between unlimited data and the Bionic -- went with unlimited data since it could have lasting effects. The Charge is no slouch anyway. :)

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I was on AT&T, that was the problem.

I think there's a catch with the Costco plan though, the guy at the kiosk said that you can get cash back for the phone before 90 days, BUT after 14 days have passed you cannot get the discounted upgrade from Verizon so really you are SOL. In other words, if I return the Charge on August 4th, they'll give me back $179 but switching to the Bionic will cost the ~$700 out-of-contract price. So I had to decide between unlimited data and the Bionic -- went with unlimited data since it could have lasting effects. The Charge is no slouch anyway. :)

oh didnt have that factor that you were not VZ to begin with. then yeah you do need to get one then LOL.