Typing is frustrating on S22U

pj737

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm not having the same "hanging" issues that others are having but the phone is very frustrating to type on. It's as if it's not keeping up with my typing speed. It has a very noticeable lag in response to typing. Sometimes the lag is so bad I have to stop typing in order for the input to catch up. Something I never experienced with any other Samsung phone I've owned at least as long as I can remember. Coming from the Note 20U this is a major downgrade in performance. It's quite frankly impossible to use. I have done what everyone on the forum has recommended and still the lag persists. Waiting for the phone to "stabilize" has not made a difference.

My return window closes shortly so I'm wondering if the opinion here is most believe an update will be provided to fix the lag issue?
Or is this is as good as it gets and is more of a hardware issue (apparently the new chip is substandard).

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having the same "hanging" issues that others are having but the phone is very frustrating to type on. It's as if it's not keeping up with my typing speed. It has a very noticeable lag in response to typing. Sometimes the lag is so bad I have to stop typing in order for the input to catch up. Something I never experienced with any other Samsung phone I've owned at least as long as I can remember. Coming from the Note 20U this is a major downgrade in performance. It's quite frankly impossible to use. I have done what everyone on the forum has recommended and still the lag persists. Waiting for the phone to "stabilize" has not made a difference.

My return window closes shortly so I'm wondering if the opinion here is most believe an update will be provided to fix the lag issue?
Or is this is as good as it gets and is more of a hardware issue (apparently the new chip is substandard).
Are you using Samsung Keyboard or 3rd party? I've not really used the stock keyboard as I always use SwiftKey and of all the complaints I've made on here about my S22 Ultra typing wasn't one of them. I can type as fast as I like and it appears instantly.
With regards to the lag I was having an awful time in my 1st 2 weeks with the phone and wanted to return it but thought as a last try I'd factory reset the phone and set it up as a new phone (not restored from a former backup) and I'm glad I did because it's been fantastic ever since. Everything now performs like it should and expect of it. Mine is the UK 128/8gb Exynos version

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

This is strange behavior at this stage. At the beginning I did experience what you were mentioned, but it was during the period of it downloading all my apps and restoring my data. Soon after, I didn't get the lag and hesitations much anymore and if I did, it was perhaps updating something. I've seen moved to GBoard keyboard and I haven't had any lag. I usually go between GBoard and Swiftkey myself. That said, I don't get the lag on the Samsung keyboard either. The experience actually has been pretty good.

pj737

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm using Google keyboard (Gboard). I tried the stock Samsung keyboard and it's also just as laggy. I'd like to note that I'm a fast typer. If I type slow it wouldn't be a problem but that's not how I type naturally. If I typed at a more "normal" pace I probably wouldn't notice it much and this would be a non issue. It's just disconcerting typing when the letters come out milliseconds after you enter it. And sometimes but rarely I have to go back and correct words because the keyboard didn't even register the key press. Just never had this issue on any Samsung phone.

Jell Lee

May 27, 2021
Visit site
reproduce the issue for both keyboard and submit error report to samsung members app > get help > error report.
might be display lag, not sure what the cause might be but the engineers at samsung might be able to look into it for you.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm using Gboard but I don't notice any lag whatsoever, and the extra width (compared to S21U) lets me type even faster. I don't have much experience with the Samsung keyboard though to be fair.

I have read of some people having issues who did a data transfer from their previous phone to the S22U, rather than a completely fresh start, but so far anyway I am not noticing any problems (I did a physical cable transfer from S21U to S22U).

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I setup my ultra fresh. I did not transfer from my note 20 ultra. I have not had a single issue with lag typing. But I use SwiftKey. I also use several edge panels.

The only lag I have had at times is this ac app loading. And couple times with certain things in Galaxy theme store. But not anything to worry about

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a fast typer.
That shouldn't matter. The phone is a thousand times faster than it needs to be to keep up with human typing with zero lag. Something highly abnormal is happening. Does it also occur in Safe Mode?

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you able to take a video where you capture your typing speed vs the keyboard input speed? Would be interesting to see the discrepancy, as I doubt a human would be able to type faster than a keyboard would be able to input characters.

But let is know how the factory reset goes. If it's still slow, is return it for another.

13Flossy

Apr 30, 2022
Visit site
I am having similar issues on my s22 ultra. It doesn't seem to want to type the first two words. I have to go back and add them. And it does lag. Does it matter if you're typing or talk to text or if you're fast it's still just too slow

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Gboard but I don't notice any lag whatsoever, and the extra width (compared to S21U) lets me type even faster. I don't have much experience with the Samsung keyboard though to be fair.

I have read of some people having issues who did a data transfer from their previous phone to the S22U, rather than a completely fresh start, but so far anyway I am not noticing any problems (I did a physical cable transfer from S21U to S22U).

I use g board and am getting my phone tomorrow. Not sure how to go about transferring stuff just yet. I usually just go to back up on phone and then restore was told I can do smart switch wirelessly.

jpen10

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with SwiftKey, terrible lag, erase last character in a word andwould enter erroneous characters. I emptied the cache, went to settings, Typing, Clear typing data. Seems to have helped immensely!

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Just picked mine up today and installed Gboard right away and no typing issues at all. I also downloaded Android 13.