U11 Screen Issues -Beware HTC Service!!

fflintstone10

Aug 9, 2017
Visit site
I had the U11 for about 5 weeks, enjoying it immensely. It’s protected with Spigen Liquid Crystal case. One day, I had the phone sitting in cupholder of my car while I drove. I later pulled it out of my (front) pocket in the evening to discover crumbled glass on the side of the screen which quickly spidered out across the screen. The spot where the glass crumbled is exactly where my thumb sits when using the edge squeeze feature. The case covers this edge and does not have a scratch or a mark on it. I searched online for other people who may have experienced glass breakage. Seems to be growing concern over durability of the U11, see the test at https://youtu.be/DdRxmu2jcMs . There are some complaints about breakage from just a small fall, but my phone was definitely not dropped!! I've never had a screen crack on any smartphones in the past and I'm pretty sure that it's a defect in manufacturing. Expect that we will be seeing more complaints over coming weeks and months. It appears that HTC has had issues with parts supply, particularly glass, so also expect long waits and expensive repairs.

After hearing from HTC support that parts for the U11 were now available and repairs were running 7-10 days, I got an RMA and sent the phone back to them for repair on 7/17. I activated my older HTC One M8 in the meantime, which gives me no end of trouble with cellular radio signal and connectivity. I am barely able to make calls and rarely get data, while my wife's and daughter's iphones have no issues at our location.

Attempting to use their online repair tracking tool, I checked daily to see if the device had advanced to status of "shipped" at their repair center. After several days there was no indication that it was received so I contacted them and asked directly. On 7/25, they requested that I provide a tracking number which I did, via both phone and their online messaging system (you can't email them directly, they communicate only through their ticketing system). I tracked the package via USPS and got proof that it had been delivered to their facilities on 7/20. They advised me "not to worry" as the repair tracking tool is frequently not updated. They assured me in a message that my case was escalated to their "especial team project (SPT3)".

On 8/2, now 13 days from their receipt of my phone, I messaged them to ask about status. Their reply, which is usually delayed by at least one day, came back on 8/3 as follows: "Unfortunately, we still need to wait until the next, because we are experiencing a delay on our repair center". For the next several days, we went back and forth with me trying to get an ETA for repair of my phone and HTC sending me vague messages telling me not to worry. I did begin to worry when I realized and told them that I was going abroad at end of the following week and needed a working phone. They still could not give me any status update or cause for delay, so I told them that I would need either my phone back or a replacement by end of week. Their response included: "I would like to ask from you a bit more of your generous time to bring this event to the best results in your favor".

I tried calling HTC Support in hopes of better information. Typical hold times range from 15-20 minutes. They then asked me for tracking information all over again and I was on the phone with them for 56 minutes with no one able to provide any sort of update. I asked for a supervisor, who put me on hold for several minutes, and then assured me that someone from their repair team would call within 10 minutes. No call, so I sent another message via their ticketing system that I would have take my phone back without repair if they couldn't provide any status or ETA. This time, I got a fairly quick response saying that they will return my phone sometime in next 48 hours in its current (broken) state. They updated their ticketing system to reflect that I had closed the ticket.

In short, I'm ready to throw this phone out and go to Samsung or Apple, not because it's a bad device but because HTC is clearly struggling and can't keep up commitments, quality or service levels to remain competitive.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear that screen parts are in. Let me know what the cost is. Mine broke on day 3 of ownership. They predicted $187 repair cost. I will let you be the guinea pig for now. Good luck. I, too, have an M8 to go back to while repair is ongoing.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I had the U11 for about 5 weeks, enjoying it immensely. It’s protected with Spigen Liquid Crystal case. One day, I had the phone sitting in cupholder of my car while I drove. I later pulled it out of my (front) pocket in the evening to discover crumbled glass on the side of the screen which quickly spidered out across the screen. The spot where the glass crumbled is exactly where my thumb sits when using the edge squeeze feature. The case covers this edge and does not have a scratch or a mark on it. I searched online for other people who may have experienced glass breakage. Seems to be growing concern over durability of the U11, see the test at https://youtu.be/DdRxmu2jcMs . There are some complaints about breakage from just a small fall, but my phone was definitely not dropped!! I've never had a screen crack on any smartphones in the past and I'm pretty sure that it's a defect in manufacturing. Expect that we will be seeing more complaints over coming weeks and months. It appears that HTC has had issues with parts supply, particularly glass, so also expect long waits and expensive repairs.

After hearing from HTC support that parts for the U11 were now available and repairs were running 7-10 days, I got an RMA and sent the phone back to them for repair on 7/17. I activated my older HTC One M8 in the meantime, which gives me no end of trouble with cellular radio signal and connectivity. I am barely able to make calls and rarely get data, while my wife's and daughter's iphones have no issues at our location.

Attempting to use their online repair tracking tool, I checked daily to see if the device had advanced to status of "shipped" at their repair center. After several days there was no indication that it was received so I contacted them and asked directly. On 7/25, they requested that I provide a tracking number which I did, via both phone and their online messaging system (you can't email them directly, they communicate only through their ticketing system). I tracked the package via USPS and got proof that it had been delivered to their facilities on 7/20. They advised me "not to worry" as the repair tracking tool is frequently not updated. They assured me in a message that my case was escalated to their "especial team project (SPT3)".

On 8/2, now 13 days from their receipt of my phone, I messaged them to ask about status. Their reply, which is usually delayed by at least one day, came back on 8/3 as follows: "Unfortunately, we still need to wait until the next, because we are experiencing a delay on our repair center". For the next several days, we went back and forth with me trying to get an ETA for repair of my phone and HTC sending me vague messages telling me not to worry. I did begin to worry when I realized and told them that I was going abroad at end of the following week and needed a working phone. They still could not give me any status update or cause for delay, so I told them that I would need either my phone back or a replacement by end of week. Their response included: "I would like to ask from you a bit more of your generous time to bring this event to the best results in your favor".

I tried calling HTC Support in hopes of better information. Typical hold times range from 15-20 minutes. They then asked me for tracking information all over again and I was on the phone with them for 56 minutes with no one able to provide any sort of update. I asked for a supervisor, who put me on hold for several minutes, and then assured me that someone from their repair team would call within 10 minutes. No call, so I sent another message via their ticketing system that I would have take my phone back without repair if they couldn't provide any status or ETA. This time, I got a fairly quick response saying that they will return my phone sometime in next 48 hours in its current (broken) state. They updated their ticketing system to reflect that I had closed the ticket.

In short, I'm ready to throw this phone out and go to Samsung or Apple, not because it's a bad device but because HTC is clearly struggling and can't keep up commitments, quality or service levels to remain competitive.

Please provide updates. I was considering switching to Sprint for one of these bad boys.

turboblk_hb

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me with a Motorola G (first generation) and it never got resolved. They essentially stole my phone and I decided to give up being so stressed about it since it was literally worth probably a hundred bucks and my sanity is worth more than that. The U11 however is a different story and I would be unrelentless with them or even take them to small claims court if this isn't resolved in a timely fashion. Keep on them like the flea they can't shake! Please update us.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to find one manufacture that has a good repair / customer service department. Are there any?

I was going to say: if you visit the forum for any manufacturer and any device, you'll find a similar horror story. I'm not minimizing the impact on the OP, it sucks royally. It's just that I don't there's a manufacturer of just about any tevch product that doesn't have similar issues. No idea why that is, unless these things are just that complicated and difficult to make and support at these sorts of prices.

kidgoofy

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I'm sad to say that I also had a similar experience. I purchased my phone in June and 32 days later, I took my phone out of my back pocket and realized that my screen cracked near the power button. Apparently the case I'm using isn't effective.
I called HTC and inquired about the "UH OH Protection" and I was told that the "UH OH Protection" only covered the M10 and that the program was no longer valid. WTF??! No longer valid? You create a phone of glass and you discontinue the program?
I asked the rep to provide me an estimate to get the phone fixed. He said that I would need to mail it out to Texas and that after they received that phone they would contact me with a price to fix the phone. I was upset that I couldn't get a reply regarding the repair cost. I then requested to speak to a supervisor. I spent an hour and a half waiting to speak to a supervisor because "all supervisors are busy". The rep kept suggesting to allow them to call me back but I refused. I requested for a clarification on the repair process which was confirmed by the HTC rep.
The entire repair time could last a month before you even see your phone again.
1. you request for a RMA. (the RMA is only valid for 14 days. If they do not receive your phone the RMA in not valid and they will send your phone back to you.
2. you send your phone to Texas. Depending where you live it can take 3-4 days.
3. Once they receive your phone they have to process/log the receipt and diagnose the issue with phone. 2 days not counting weekends.
4. Once they diagnose your phone they will send you an email with the cost to fix your phone. (I called screen fix-it shops and they said that the cost would be about $200.) 2 day turn around depending on how fast you reply to the email.
5. Then they will ship your phone back slow route. Again Depending where you live it can take 3-4 days.
6. Don't forget to account "anything can happen" time.

In the end before I hung up with HTC I did receive an RMA for the phone, but have decided not to send it in.
I called around to see if anyone could fix it. All the fix-it shops told me the same thing, "They do not have the screens yet". Because the phone is new to the market, they have yet to provide screens to the aftermarket repair shoppes. The cost will still be the same $200'ish.

Just like the rest of you I am also very upset at HTC customer service. I even twitted about it. HTC seem to care less what their customers experience. They seem to only care about selling the product as long as it keeps them afloat.

wildclip

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
uh oh was discontinued after the U Ultra.... you should have known that when you bought the phone. the official reason was to keep the cost lower.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm sad to say that I also had a similar experience. I purchased my phone in June and 32 days later, I took my phone out of my back pocket and realized that my screen cracked near the power button. Apparently the case I'm using isn't effective.
I called HTC and inquired about the "UH OH Protection" and I was told that the "UH OH Protection" only covered the M10 and that the program was no longer valid. WTF??! No longer valid? You create a phone of glass and you discontinue the program?
I asked the rep to provide me an estimate to get the phone fixed. He said that I would need to mail it out to Texas and that after they received that phone they would contact me with a price to fix the phone. I was upset that I couldn't get a reply regarding the repair cost. I then requested to speak to a supervisor. I spent an hour and a half waiting to speak to a supervisor because "all supervisors are busy". The rep kept suggesting to allow them to call me back but I refused. I requested for a clarification on the repair process which was confirmed by the HTC rep.
The entire repair time could last a month before you even see your phone again.
1. you request for a RMA. (the RMA is only valid for 14 days. If they do not receive your phone the RMA in not valid and they will send your phone back to you.
2. you send your phone to Texas. Depending where you live it can take 3-4 days.
3. Once they receive your phone they have to process/log the receipt and diagnose the issue with phone. 2 days not counting weekends.
4. Once they diagnose your phone they will send you an email with the cost to fix your phone. (I called screen fix-it shops and they said that the cost would be about $200.) 2 day turn around depending on how fast you reply to the email.
5. Then they will ship your phone back slow route. Again Depending where you live it can take 3-4 days.
6. Don't forget to account "anything can happen" time.

In the end before I hung up with HTC I did receive an RMA for the phone, but have decided not to send it in.
I called around to see if anyone could fix it. All the fix-it shops told me the same thing, "They do not have the screens yet". Because the phone is new to the market, they have yet to provide screens to the aftermarket repair shoppes. The cost will still be the same $200'ish.

Just like the rest of you I am also very upset at HTC customer service. I even twitted about it. HTC seem to care less what their customers experience. They seem to only care about selling the product as long as it keeps them afloat.

Ugh. Unacceptable.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I was going to say: if you visit the forum for any manufacturer and any device, you'll find a similar horror story. I'm not minimizing the impact on the OP, it sucks royally. It's just that I don't there's a manufacturer of just about any tevch product that doesn't have similar issues. No idea why that is, unless these things are just that complicated and difficult to make and support at these sorts of prices.

Apple. You go into the store, and it's handled. Period. They crush all Android OEMs in this regard.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Apple. You go into the store, and it's handled. Period. They crush all Android OEMs in this regard.

Well, I would disagree just a bit. It's covered if Apple recognizes the issue, that much is true. Granted, Apple's retail stores are a huge advantage for them, just like Microsoft's Stores are an advantage (I've found my local Microsoft Store to be excellent in this regard as well, but god knows Microsoft has issues with its Surface machines).

But there are some issues (yellow screen discoloration, wi-fi issues, etc.) that Apple has simply refused to recognize until/if suddenly they admit it when they actually have a fix. In the meantime, I've known of Apple customers who were just as frustrated.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am so sorry that this has happened to you, OP. As someone who really wants a U11, I must say that this is a worrying issue; especially since the device would be purchased unlocked.

Please keep us informed of your situation. Hopefully HTC will be able to sort out these issues.

Also, as someone who works in customer service, a supervisor being vague and putting you on hold for several minutes is not really a good demonstration of professionalism nor customer appreciation - especially since you'd been trying to contact them about your phone's status for weeks.

Again, please keep us informed, and good luck.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, I would disagree just a bit. It's covered if Apple recognizes the issue, that much is true. Granted, Apple's retail stores are a huge advantage for them, just like Microsoft's Stores are an advantage (I've found my local Microsoft Store to be excellent in this regard as well, but god knows Microsoft has issues with its Surface machines).

But there are some issues (yellow screen discoloration, wi-fi issues, etc.) that Apple has simply refused to recognize until/if suddenly they admit it when they actually have a fix. In the meantime, I've known of Apple customers who were just as frustrated.

I have had better CS from them than any other brand. I went through the Note 7 debacle (2 devices over months). It was disastrous. HTC's CS leaves a lot to be desired. That's why I think it's way safer to buy through Amazon here, but that's not going to help you for the down the road issues.

fflintstone10

Aug 9, 2017
Visit site
Update to my earlier post. After repeated calls and messages, I was able to escalate this situation to get it resolved by HTC. They ultimately acknowledged the issue and made good on it. Kudos to HTC for recognizing my frustration and acting to rectify. I'm again a believer in the product and the company. Word to the wise, make sure you have a backup plan while you wait for a repair, and allow for a more time to get it back.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Update to my earlier post. After repeated calls and messages, I was able to escalate this situation to get it resolved by HTC. They ultimately acknowledged the issue and made good on it. Kudos to HTC for recognizing my frustration and acting to rectify. I'm again a believer in the product and the company. Word to the wise, make sure you have a backup plan while you wait for a repair, and allow for a more time to get it back.

After Huawei told me that they're simply not going to fix boot-looping Nexus 6Ps that are out of warranty, even for money, I've been using my backup iPhone 6. It's good to have a backup phone, even if it does suck.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

So glad your issue is getting resolved and that your phone is getting repaired! Keep us in the loop!

timhawes

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
If it makes any difference to anyone, I also have a spigen case in the black fully armoured version on my U11, and after my son dropped it no more than 2ft tonight, its all now cracked on the top left side. Hairline cracks in the upper corner suspecting they will grow. So, not even a spigen case on your U11 will help protect this badly designed piece of thin glass. I unfortunately got sent this as a replacement when my M9 went wrong. I'm not sure if I now should prioritise speed over durability. I dropped my M9 a fair few times over 23 months with never an issue...! And my Desire HD lasted 5 years! Based on this article, I will likely see how long I can last with the damage, perform regular backups & get a spare one up and running before even considering a repair... Hopefully I can get it done locally, I'm not looking forward to the bad service HTC are offering! Plus, they'll wipe my phone after I've just spent 4 days setting it up again! Screen protector purchase on list after the repair too!

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Spoken case on mine as well. The rugged armour "w/ carbon fiber design". $12 on Amazon. I dropped it twice yesterday, both times on a hardwood floor. The first time I was standing up, grabbed it off the counter and just lost it. But it landed flat along the edge where the volume buttons are. Later that night I knocked it off the arm of the couch and don't know how it landed. No scratches. No cracks.

I'm not saying it's the toughest phone out there. I know that it's not. But for every person who has a story about the phone shattering into a million pieces after dropping onto a pile of cotton balls, there's somebody out there who's dropped their phone a bunch and not had it shatter. That holds true for pretty much every phone out there. The one thing I am concerned with is HTC's lack of repair parts for this device.