Unable to connect to my home wireless network

tjomac

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
It depends upon which password is being used when the wifi connection on the tablet is being set up. If the Windows log-on password is used, the wifi connection setup has not been completed. When one tries to modify the connection setup, it will show (unchanged) against Password. This is because the Home Networking Router WEP Key is to be input as the password, not the windows log-on password.

I too had the same problem. My Home NW SSID would show up with full signal strength but would drop to negligible when I set up using the logon password. The wifi option would show "Obtaining IP address..." but would never connect. It would connect if I did not enable the Wireless Network Security in the "Configure the Wireless Network" screen of the Home Network but would again drop the moment this option was enabled. I realized that the password being required was the WEP key as is usually required when setting up new devices/computers on the home network.

Please give a try and let me know. It should work fine and :D

You are amazing!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!! I have a Droid Razr and a DIR-825 router and I have tried everthing for over 14 days, resetting my router to factory defaults, different security, returned a really great phone, (new phone screen not good), this worked perfectly! Thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Verizon tech didn't get this, Motorola didn't get this.

Tammy

songboy

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue too. Excellent to good signal strenght until trying to connect to my secured home network and then the strength would drop dramatically and the tablet would try to connect unsuccessfully and repeatedly until I stopped it. The solution was unbelieveably simple. I had been entering the NETWORK PASSWORD when asked. As soon as I entered the NETWORK KEY instead I was almost instantly connected. Thought I'd share to perhaps save someone else the aggravation.

deedee05

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Pls i'm still confused. you said u had been entering the network password instead of the network key. please what is the network key and how can i know it??

Smokey520

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello, i am having a similar problem..i recently bought a android phone and i cant connect to my router (I have a Linksys WRT120N) ..anyway i have tried to get my phone to connect to my wi-fi but whenever i try it just says "Authenticating..." the whole time and doesnt change , every few seconds it flashes "Saved, secured with WPA2" in between but thats it..anyway i went on the site where you manage your router and i saw that my MAC filtering is turned OFF, so i dont know why i cant connect Any answers would be apprecheated if send to my email [email address removed] because i often forget to check forums for replies..please help and thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
First thing with Linksys is to be sure you are running the latest firmware on the router, if you are not update and see if that helps.

hadeer tarek

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It depends upon which password is being used when the wifi connection on the tablet is being set up. If the Windows log-on password is used, the wifi connection setup has not been completed. When one tries to modify the connection setup, it will show (unchanged) against Password. This is because the Home Networking Router WEP Key is to be input as the password, not the windows log-on password.

I too had the same problem. My Home NW SSID would show up with full signal strength but would drop to negligible when I set up using the logon password. The wifi option would show "Obtaining IP address..." but would never connect. It would connect if I did not enable the Wireless Network Security in the "Configure the Wireless Network" screen of the Home Network but would again drop the moment this option was enabled. I realized that the password being required was the WEP key as is usually required when setting up new devices/computers on the home network.
i tried that but it still saying "saved, secured"
Please give a try and let me know. It should work fine and :D

okimar

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I was having this issue with my Vivid. It would attempt to obtain an IP address and fail over and over.

I tried rebooting and resetting everything based on the worthless worthless suggestions here and nothing changed, so I started thinking for myself.

I knew AT&T would likely figure out a simple way to toggle unsuspecting users to back to their network so they can charge them as much as possible based on the limits they now have on most calling plans.

So, I approached it from that most calling plans, so I approached it from that angle...

I'm now connected to my network with no help from this forum.

What I figured out is that if I go into my phone's main SETTINGS, and disconnect (turn off) my MOBILE NETWORK (that's the AT&T network that I would like to keep from using when I am at home) and then turn ON the Wi-Fi function.

Once my network has been found by my phone and I enter my password..... *****BAM!!!***** IT WORKS!!!!

The little Wi-Fi icon then comes to life at the top of my phone's main screen and I'm surfing the web across my network. YAY!!!!

All people have to remember to do is turn off the WiFi (to conserve battery power) when they leave their house and turn the MOBILE NETWORK back on so they can communicate when they are out and about.

Now why am I the only one to find this solution and post it here?????

SERIOUSLY???? LOL

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting your tip. But it really isn't necessary to criticize other people's posts. Maybe you're joking, but the tone doesn't quite come across that way.

backham

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
hello Dear,
I have Q mobile a8 when I want connect to 3g evo wifi cloud it cant be connect signal stength is Excellent
link speed Mbps
it show WPA problem
Pleas give me information about it please help me

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
hello Dear,
I have Q mobile a8 when I want connect to 3g evo wifi cloud it cant be connect signal stength is Excellent
link speed Mbps
it show WPA problem
Pleas give me information about it please help me

Welcome to Android Central! Please clarify what you mean by "3g evo wifi cloud." Are you trying to connect to a wifi network or to your wireless provider's 3G mobile network?

Since you mention a WPA problem, I will assume for now that you are trying to connect to a wifi network. If this is the case, is it your home network, or one elsewhere (like at work or at a cafe)? If you're at home, first try rebooting your router by unplugging its power, waiting 10 seconds, then plugging it back in. Wait another 10-15 seconds for the connection to reestablish. If this still doesn't work, then you probably have to modify your router's security settings. This requires you to log into the router using your computer's browser. It would be important to know the make and model of your router. If you don't have the manual, then you can usually look it up on the web.

Ramakrishna Potluri

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the Solution!
I also faced the problem. It says connecting for a long time and then gives a message saying "Network turned off. poor connection".
I tried with WEP key instead of password and it connected.

How do you get WEP Key :
Try from your laptop or PC.
1) Open Network and sharing center.
2) Click on the link of your wireless network connection
3) Click on wireless properties
4) Click on Security tab
5) Take the Network Security Key and type in your phone for password while connecting to network
If you do not see any numbers here, select the checkbox "Show characters"

tippy20052000

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
this is a posting i did for another site but do me a favor and go over what i wrote it just might help..............................I as well have the stealth trio 10.1 and i as well kept getting dropped off my wifi so i connected my trio to my computer and kept usb off then i had to go in to my router settings go to wifi protected set up and then i had to go to my trio go to settings and then go to wifi and then there is three little grey dots on the top right corner put your finger on the tree squares you see and slide your finger down you will see three options scan,.............. wps pin entry,............... advanced, you want to press on ..........wps pin entry.......... and you will see an 8 digit pin after obtaining that pin go to your wifi security on your router page and put those numbers in the empty box and then press enroll and just below that you will see a button that says start pbc press on the pbc button and your trio should now say connecting to wifi and it will tell you if you succeeded in connecting your device........... .this is also known as pushing the wifi. let me be clear on one thing my router is a Belkin router so if you router is a different type of router you setting my be different so don`t forget to call tech support for your router if you are having trouble with this set up it`s worth the effort.

molenx2

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
It took me awhile but I also figured out the whole turn off the data, turn on the wi-fi. Unfortunately, today when I came home and turned off my data, turned on my wi-fi, my ASUS ZENFONE2 keeps saying "authentication problem" and refuses to connect to my wi-fi. I tried re-connecting using the WPS button on my router- says it's connected and then disconnects when I try to use the internet. I unplugged my router then plugged it back in to reset it.... didn't fix the problem. I re-started my phone, then I completely turned off and left alone for about 30 min. turned on and tried all over again- won't connect. The last time this happened it took me 3 full days to reconnect to my internet. I agree, it has to be AT&T toggling users back and forth- or there's a serious glitch with the Android systems. Does anyone have a 100% work around to prevent this problem in the future?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thewhitecarno