Unable to save custom ringtones for individual contacts

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've got a Pixel XL on Android 9 Build number PQ3A.190505.001. For one of my starred contacts I created a custom ringtone. I recently made a new one and tried to set it as that contact's ringtone but it did not save. I deleted the old ringtone so that only the new one was present but that didn't help at all. Now when I view the ringtone that's set for the contact is says "Currently set 122325". No file that I choose saves to the contact. Even if I choose the dealt ringtone and go back in to check if it's saved it shows 122325. I've hard booted, cleared the cache of both the Contacts and Sounds app and nothing has worked.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Numeric ringtones like that mean "it was set to some file, but there's no file by that name" (and I think the number is part of the inode number where the file used to be). You'll have to choose a different ringtone file.

dradano

May 23, 2019
Visit site
You're missing the issue. Nothing that is chosen gets saved. I hit Save and go back in to verify the new ringtone and its the random one. No changes are saved. Even when I choose the Default ringtone.

dradano

May 23, 2019
Visit site
Not trying to set a default ringtone via the Settings menu. Trying to set a ringtone for a specific contact. It was originally set to a custom ringtone. When trying to change it, no changes are saved. None. Can't even set it to the Default.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Not trying to set a default ringtone via the Settings menu. Trying to set a ringtone for a specific contact. It was originally set to a custom ringtone. When trying to change it, no changes are saved. None. Can't even set it to the Default.
I understand you. To find a solution, follow the steps I posted above and post your result. A screen shot of the view where you are unable to change the ringtone would also be helpful.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, clearing the system cache partition is not an option with the Pixel XL, since the phone supports seamless updates (and therefore has duplicate system partitions without a cache partition).

Did you also clear the app data from the Contacts app? Also consider clearing the cache/data from the Contacts Storage app. To see it, you have to tap Menu>Show System first.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would try couple steps
1.clear phone app storage/cache/force stop
2.clear contact app storage/cache/force stop
3.clear app preference in settings>search bar >type reset app preference
4.go to settings>apps>find sounds >clear storage/cache/force stop

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately, clearing the system cache partition is not an option with the Pixel XL, since the phone supports seamless updates (and therefore has duplicate system partitions without a cache partition).

Did you also clear the app data from the Contacts app? Also consider clearing the cache/data from the Contacts Storage app. To see it, you have to tap Menu>Show System first.
I remember having this pixel cache partition discussion before.
The following link says what it says. If you have a pixel, I don't, can you confirm or rule out these articles? Tia.

https://www.techjunkie.com/how-to-clear-cache-on-google-pixel-and-pixel-xl/

dradano

May 23, 2019
Visit site
I would try couple steps
1.clear phone app storage/cache/force stop
2.clear contact app storage/cache/force stop
3.clear app preference in settings>search bar >type reset app preference
4.go to settings>apps>find sounds >clear storage/cache/force stop

This seems to have worked. I did;
1. Phone > Clear storage, clear cache, force stop
2. Contacts > Clear cache, force stop
3. Reset app preferences
4. Sounds > Clear storage, clear cache force stop

I've had crap luck with the Contacts app in the past so I was reluctant to clear the storage. I was able to set the newly created ringtone and it saved to that contact. Now my WhatsApp is all screwy but I'll take it. Thank you for the help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@methodman89, I've tried that before on both my current Pixel 3 XL and my previous 2 XL, and it's the same thing -- the Recovery Menu comes up and there is no option to wipe the cache partition. This is due to the dual system partitions that are used for seamless updates. I don't have a 1st gen Pixel XL to test, but since that also supports seamless updates, the same thing should apply (as it should for any other device that supports seamless updates, as listed here: https://www.xda-developers.com/list-android-devices-seamless-updates/). I've definitely seen this issue discussed for some of the recent Moto phones in that list, and those users have also confirmed there is no system cache partition to clear.

I've encountered sites like the one you link -- I think what happens is that the people who run those sites assume the process works for every single phone, and they simply copy the steps from other devices. But all of that being said, there's certainly no harm in trying the procedure. If you get to the Recovery Menu and don't see the Wipe Cache Partition option, then simply reboot the device.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This seems to have worked. I did;
1. Phone > Clear storage, clear cache, force stop
2. Contacts > Clear cache, force stop
3. Reset app preferences
4. Sounds > Clear storage, clear cache force stop

I've had crap luck with the Contacts app in the past so I was reluctant to clear the storage. I was able to set the newly created ringtone and it saved to that contact. Now my WhatsApp is all screwy but I'll take it. Thank you for the help!

Glad it worked out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exoduss