Update #2 L710VPLG2

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I am just now noticing that when I long press the menu button and start typing Nav (for Navigation), only Google search results are displayed.

So, did this last update remove universal search?

mrdynamite

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
If you got used to this feature, its a pain in the butt to lose it, especially that if you want to search contacts, you have to go into contacts, then search, versus just using the global search

to fix it, install GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

here is that file
I was able to install successfully, thanks!

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Not rooted here and successfully added the old google search and got my Google bar functionality back .
FU Apple!!!

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk

SprintGuy

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I've gotten the "Security Update" (and yes my Google Search is busted), but...I have a much bigger issue and am wondering if u guys see it too.

I've noticed much worse battery life. Also, my SystemPanel monitor show a consistent CPU usage of around 5% no matter what, even when the phone is quiet for a bit.

Even worse...looking at the processes running via Quick System Tools, I see a VERY persistent process of the following label:

Android System
- DrmEventService

This thing NEVER quits and it is always registering between 2% & 5% day and night.

It appears to be something related to copyright protection on like movies and music, etc.

Could it have been added with the update? It didn't do this before. Reboots don't kill it either.

I did call Sprint support, got to level 1, rep didn't know about it, but he called "somewhere" and they did know about it. Got over to level 2, they didn't know about it, they wrote it all up and were sending it on for further testing.

U seeing anything guys???

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Feels like my battery life is better and the phone charges faster since the update. Thanks for the search apk. Installed it successfully

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
exactly..

it used to before the update

If you are rooted it's easy enough to add it back. Using a root file explorer such as root explorer or es file explorer, copy the attached file to your system/app folder (make sure you authorized read/write. It should ask if you want to replace the current file. Say yes. when it's done re-boot your phone and the search you had before the update is back.. Very simple...

If your not rooted you can still use this to get your search button back by downloading the attached file to your phone, click on it and choose install. It will work but you will have to redo it every time you restart your phone

Last edited:

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Not rooted here and successfully added the old google search and got my Google bar functionality back .
FU Apple!!!

How do I install the old Google search file? I've been avoiding the update so I don't lose the search function. I've got the old file downloaded, but don't know how to get it installed. Can somebody explain how to do that? (And I mean e-x-p-l-a-i-n, since I don't have a clue) Thanks.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
This is why I love android! Apple sues. Wins. Google makes appropriate changes. But changes can be reverted back due to killer developer support! What a slap in the face of apple with the right hand while giving them the finger with the left!

Awsome!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
How do I install the old Google search file? I've been avoiding the update so I don't lose the search function. I've got the old file downloaded, but don't know how to get it installed. Can somebody explain how to do that? (And I mean e-x-p-l-a-i-n, since I don't have a clue) Thanks.

if you're unrooted the best you can do is download the file provided. Click on it. Choose install when it opens. It will work regardless of your root status. But you would have to do it every time you reboot your phone.

The only way to get it to stay is by replacing the app in the system files. The only way to do that is by being rooted.

So while you can get it working being unrooted, it isn't a permanent fix. For that you must be rooted.

Last edited:
Reactions: kgilbertsen

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
FU Apple!!!

Could you tell us how you did this without being rooted? Have you restarted the phone yet and does it still work? Not to be a party pooper but to load it and make it stick, it must REPLACE the apk in your system folder and for that you must be rooted.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
if you're unrooted the best you can do is is download the file provided. Click on it. Choose install when it opens. It will work regardless of your root status. But you would have to do it every time you reboot your phone.

The only way to get it to stay is by replacing the app in the system files. The only way to do that is by being rooted.

So while you can get it working being unrooted, it isn't a permanent fix. For that you must be rooted.

Thanks. I guess I could just email the file to get it from the pc to the phone? I don't think I'll be rooting the phone right away - you see how much help I need just getting a file onto the phone...