Update #2 L710VPLG2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I guess I could just email the file to get it from the pc to the phone? I don't think I'll be rooting the phone right away - you see how much help I need just getting a file onto the phone...

go to this page from the browser on your phone and download it directly to your phone. No need to put it on your computer at all. Or you could use tapatalk forum app from the playstore and do it from there instead of your browser.

Reactions: kgilbertsen

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted it's easy enough to add it back. Using a root file explorer such as root explorer or es file explorer, copy the attached file to your system/app folder (make sure you authorized read/write. It should ask if you want to replace the current file. Say yes. when it's done re-boot your phone and the search you had before the update is back.. Very simple...

If your not rooted you can still use this to get your search button back by downloading the attached file to your phone, click on it and choose install. It will work but you will have to redo it every time you restart your phone

How exactly do you authorize read/write in order to copy the googleseacrch.apk file to the system/apps folder?

Thanks.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
How exactly do you authorize read/write in order to copy the googleseacrch.apk file to the system/apps folder?

Thanks.

are you rooted? If so, the steps to do this depends on the file explorer you are using. If you're not rooted you can't copy the file to the app folder. Period... let me know which file explorer you are using and I will try and help you. The stock My Files app won't work.

If your unrooted all you can do is click on the apk and choose install. This will still work but it won't stick through a reboot.

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted and I downloaded ES file explorer. At first I used Androzip and was able to get to the system app folder but it said I did not have permission. When I tried ES file explorer I couldn't get out of the sd card folder to get to the internal folder.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted and I downloaded ES file explorer. At first I used Androzip and was able to get to the system app folder but it said I did not have permission. When I tried ES file explorer I couldn't get out of the sd card folder to get to the internal folder.

In es file explorer, click on favorites and then the phone icon. That's where you will find the system folder. Sorry it took so long to respond but I was traveling today.

Fisack23

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I must be missing something somewhere. I have downloaded GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk directly to my phone from the web page here.

I go to "DOWNLOADS" and click on it.

I get an error message at the bottom of my screen - "Cannot open file".

Is there another program that I need to install on my phone to open this? I am not rooted.

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
In es file explorer, click on favorites and then the phone icon. That's where you will find the system folder. Sorry it took so long to respond but I was traveling today.

Thanks worked like a charm.

Edit: I spoke too soon,I was able to replace the file but now it appears I am unrooted now. Not sure what happened. Plus the Google search isn't working any differently either, guess I'll have to re-root. That's strange.

Last edited:

thegodfaza

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If you got used to this feature, its a pain in the butt to lose it, especially that if you want to search contacts, you have to go into contacts, then search, versus just using the global search

to fix it, install GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

here is that file

My Sprint Galaxy Nexus gives me a "Cannot open file" error when I try and run that apk.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted it's easy enough to add it back. Using a root file explorer such as root explorer or es file explorer, copy the attached file to your system/app folder (make sure you authorized read/write. It should ask if you want to replace the current file. Say yes. when it's done re-boot your phone and the search you had before the update is back.. Very simple...

If your not rooted you can still use this to get your search button back by downloading the attached file to your phone, click on it and choose install. It will work but you will have to redo it every time you restart your phone

Thanks Skunk, worked perfect on my rooted GS3

dreich83

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I like my S3 very much, but I was going to return it to the store sometime this week. I still might, but since the google search has been fixed cause of that awesome file, I will probably end up keeping it. Thanks a lot.

David

cmwilkerson

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
are you rooted? If so, the steps to do this depends on the file explorer you are using. If you're not rooted you can't copy the file to the app folder. Period... let me know which file explorer you are using and I will try and help you. The stock My Files app won't work.

If your unrooted all you can do is click on the apk and choose install. This will still work but it won't stick through a reboot.

My Sprint S3 randomly reboots when this application is installed! I guess that is the work of Sprint or Samsung. When I don't install the application my phone does not reboot.