[UPDATE] Canadian Customers - Nexus 5 Not Getting Voicemail Notifications

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, since I was off today (god loves those of us who only work 7 days a month) I ran around and did a bunch of leg work for Tech Support on the Nexus 5.

As many of you know my Nexus 5 isn't getting voicemail notification icons when someone leaves a voicemail. The only time I get them is when I power down the phone and then turn it back on again. Annoying right? So I called Virgin Tech Support and they walked me through a few steps and nothing fixed it. They checked my account and "Yep, everything is right on the network on our end" so they transferred me to Technical Support. Apparently Tech Support is run by Bell (either Canada or the USA I don't know) and they couldn't find the issue so they opened a ticket.

Now, what they DID say that I could do to help was the following...

Go to a Virgin Mobile Store
Take my SIM card out of my Nexus 5 and put it in another Nexus 5 at the store: This lead to the SAME issue on the Demo phone as on my phone. No Voicemail until power cycle
Take my SIM card out of my Nexus 5 and put in a new SIM card and register it on the network: This lead to the SAME issue on the new SIM card as the old one

So, what did we learn here? Well, it could be several things

HARDWARE issue with Nexus 5 phones and Virgin Mobile Canada
SOFTWARE issue with Nexus 5 phones and Virgin Mobile Canada

I'm leaning more towards SOFTWARE issue since I CAN technically get the notification (power cycling the phone). The phone just doesn't check after a missed call which leads me to believe it could be a software incompatibility.

What did we eliminate here?

That it is a HARDWARE issue with my specific phone
That it is a SIM issue with my specific phone

I will update this post as more information comes along or if any other Canadian is having the same issue and gets information faster than I do.

Last edited:

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: [UPDATE] Virgin Mobile Canada and Nexus 5 Not Getting Voicemail Notifications

Ok, the results of the ticket are

"This is a software issue and we are currently working with the manufacturer and the carrier to fix it. There is currently no known permanent work around however customers are being advised that they can power cycle the phone for the notifications to pop up". (Ummmm, I would rather just randomly call my voicemail than turn the phone on and off all the time, but hey, he isn't wrong he just isn't right either LOL)

And there you have it fellow Canadian Virgin Mobile Customers. The wait begins!

twinmgmt

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: [UPDATE] Virgin Mobile Canada and Nexus 5 Not Getting Voicemail Notifications

I'm having a similar issue with my rogers voice mail. On the phone with rogers now to see if I can sort it out.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. Post here what the outcome is (and welcome to the Forums).

Perhaps a mod can rename this from VIRGIN MOBILE CANADA to "Canadian Nexus 5" or something like that since it appears that this issue is no longer specific to Virgin.

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Wow... didn't realise it wasn't working until I read this. I am on virgin mobile Canada as well.

Hope it gets fixed. On the plus side at least we still get a notice for the missed call. Will just have to reboot my phone more often in the interim.

Posted via Android Central App

twinmgmt

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

Thx for the welcome ! :) . So we need to have the collective figure this out for us. Another thing i noticed that when i called my 5 (which was plugged and alseep) from a land line the call went directly to voice mail. Not good.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Thx for the welcome ! :) . So we need to have the collective figure this out for us. Another thing i noticed that when i called my 5 (which was plugged and alseep) from a land line the call went directly to voice mail. Not good.

Tested on my Nexus 5 with Rogers. Wasn't getting the voicemail notification, rebooted the phone and voila it showed up right away. will test some more

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Same problem here with Sprint. I even had them reset my voicemail, but that didn't help. I know I can use Google Voice but that doesn't fix the problem, it's just a work around. What's different for me is power cycling still wont give me the notification.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

Same problem here with Sprint. I even had them reset my voicemail, but that didn't help. I know I can use Google Voice but that doesn't fix the problem, it's just a work around. What's different for me is power cycling still wont give me the notification.

Now THAT is odd since everyone I have reached out to can power cycle it and get it working. I know anyone on Virgin and Rogers (so far about 6 people between the two) are able to power cycle and get it to work. I would imagine though that the Sprint issue is the same; a software bug. Google hopefully will release a bug PDQ as business folks require this most very basic of tools. Yes, one could do Google Voice but we should expect what we paid for yes? No more, no less.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if Canadian carriers handle their voice mail differently than US carriers.....

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I wonder if Canadian carriers handle their voice mail differently than US carriers.....

I'm in the US and having this issue with Sprint, so it's not just our neighbors up north.

bbgolf

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't get any voicemail notification, even if I power cycle. I'm on Fido. Can't get Visual Voicemail Plus app to work either, Fido verified I was correctly provisioned for that.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I went ahead and installed Google Voice to get voicemail working, but that wont work for me. Google Voice only lets you "link" a number to one account, and I have my cell linked to another Google Voice account for call forwarding to have a separate phone number - so by setting up Google Voice on my personal gmail it removed that phone number link. What a PITA.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I went ahead and installed Google Voice to get voicemail working, but that wont work for me. Google Voice only lets you "link" a number to one account, and I have my cell linked to another Google Voice account for call forwarding to have a separate phone number - so by setting up Google Voice on my personal gmail it removed that phone number link. What a PITA.

This sucks man! I am not touching my voicemail until any patch or work around or official response because one thing I have learned in my 3 days of Androidom is that if something is broke, and I attempt to fix it, more than not I F it up worse than it was before.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Ya, this is now a real problem for me. I have no issue using the "old method" of dialing 1 to listen to my voicemail - too bad notification doesn't work. Right now my only option would require me temporarily deactivating my alternate phone number to setup Google Voicemail on my primary line.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Ya, this is now a real problem for me. I have no issue using the "old method" of dialing 1 to listen to my voicemail - too bad notification doesn't work. Right now my only option would require me temporarily deactivating my alternate phone number to setup Google Voicemail on my primary line.

I would avoid messing around with it for a week or so. Give them a chance to get a patch out. Setting up all that Google VMail stuff sounds like a real chore, easy or not, and the current issue WILL get fixed, one way or another. No phone on the market today (that I know of) says "You've got everything but voicemail. Kthxbye"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaacmause