Update soon to fix EVO 4g LTE connection issues?

crimedog1989

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I was informed about three weeks ago by my Sprint guy that the LTE on the phones has a slight issue with its connection software. He did tell me that an update was coming out to address this issue. I have seen what is coming in this update which includes a fix for the LTE software. It should be out this week.

Sent from my EVO LTE

lrn2swim

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had zero connection issues, sprint is great in my area. The one thing I can tell you for sure is that the EvoLTE doesn't have any major connection issues, anything that does turn up is probably either a random glitch (happens to everyphone from time to time) or an issue with Sprint's network in that area. I also much prefer the radios in the EvoLTE to those in the GSIII, good radios is not something Samsung is well known for.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

that's false. i'm on my second EVO LTE. my first one would just randomly drop data signal repeatedly all day long. took the phone back and got a new one. low and behold, no connection issues. i've read about the same thing happening all over the country. i think a great many of these phones were shipped out with faulty radios. what a major f-up. love the phone though, btw. so glad i got it, now that this new one works properly.

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
that's false. i'm on my second EVO LTE. my first one would just randomly drop data signal repeatedly all day long. took the phone back and got a new one. low and behold, no connection issues. i've read about the same thing happening all over the country. i think a great many of these phones were shipped out with faulty radios. what a major f-up. love the phone though, btw. so glad i got it, now that this new one works properly.

My phone drops a data connection all the time but I noticed it only does it where I'm going in and out of a 4g areas. It will not reconnect until I turn my screen back on. I had it swapped out and this new one does the same thing. I'm gonna wait for another radio update and see what happens.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought,, your wifi router at home may not be good. Maybe it is, just throwing something out there. Have you used wifi at a local wifi spot? If so does it continually disconnect there also? If it does then you have a bad phone.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

I used the same router with my 0G Evo and never had a issue, and yes I've tried it in other places but I was never there long enough to test it out fully. I don't have as many problems on the wifi it disconnects from time to time but not a constant issue as with the 3g.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I've seen a lot less of people with connection issues than those without, so I'd go with you guys being the unlucky ones rather than us being unlucky.

Anyway, your issue sounds like either a network issue or just a bad phone, rather than a design or software flaw across all devices.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I could of sworn I said you are one of the lucky few? Any ways as I stated before I don't know what the issue is, I just want them to get it together!!

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any connectivity issues here. I wouldn't think a sprint rep would ever try to encourage someone to not buy a flagship phone but who knows.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

HTC doesn't even support that device any longer in the states once they saw how poor the initial sales were. Reps hate to process returns, which affects their commission and is a time waster anyway, so it's beneficial to them to encourage customers to purchase devices with low return rates.

247TEK

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
My phone is superb! I am San Diego. Connection is great. I usually switch to wifi at home but even when I don't, it excellent.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I was one of those on the first order. I was soo stoked to get this coming from my trusty OG Evo. What a disappointment it was. From day one I had connectivity issues. The signal bar did more flips than a Russian gymnast. I held out and waited to see if Sprint/HTC would admit there was an issue and get a fix out for it. In the 2 weeks I had it not a peep from either of them. On my last day I sent it packing and jumped into that Tmo 30.00 plan with an unlocked Gnex. Gnex with JB now makes this a great phone. But I still want my LTE back if it was fixed.

oldrtyfrog

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Terrible connection issues for me in Richmond, VA. One minute I have 3G, the next minute I don't. LTE isn't available yet, so I have it set to CDMA only. I love this phone, but the connection issues drive me bat $hit crazy.

Klotera

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
It definitely has issues with how it searches for and maintains an LTE connection. Most believe that its "threshold" for dropping from LTE to EVDO is too high. This seems to be the case, as when i use Elixir2 to change to "LTE,CDMA" mode, I can hold onto a 4G connection, but in its default "auto" mode, it will often drop back to 3G if it's not an extremely strong connection. They need to change it so that it will stick with even a weak 4G signal. I'd take 1 bar of LTE over 4 bars of 3G.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm always on multiple forums, and this is not a major issue like some would make it. There are very few with actual phone signal problems. They are most definitely the unlucky few, not the other way around

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

platinumrugg

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely the PHONE in this case. With my EVO Shift, I was able to ALWAYS be connected to Sprint, and even when they were working on towers in my area, I never once dropped any signal. Only time I dropped a call on my shift was when I was in a basement or a random dead zone. Where I work, I was able to get full bars with 3G and it was fast enough to watch YouTube videos in HD with very little buffering. With this 4G LTE bull , my 3G symbol disappears often AND it's slow as . I've went to the store multiple times and have called sprint headquarters multiple times. It is indeed the phone and not the network (at least for some people, me included). Absolutely disappointed that HTC would up something as simple as the damn antennae for their phones. Now I have to buy a whole new phone out of pocket because HTC ed up.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreeded,, if your having 3g issues its the network. They are working on it everyday. I had your issue for 2 weeks straight. I could not stream anything. 2 weeks later everything was fine, work was done in my area, and coincidentally a month later I had lte.

Sent from my EVO using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

d0g

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think 2 things are important to keep in mind:

1. Only people that have 2 phones to compare side-by-side (Evo vs SG3, or Evo vs iPhone 5) can really say whether the Evo suffers in comparison. Lots of people with Evos "think" everything is OK, but then when they see a friend's/wife's/etc SG3, suddenly realize their connection isn't nearly as good.

2. People "without issues" tend to stay quiet; they don't go to forums and start a thread called "My Evo works fine on LTE!" So it's hard to gauge what percentage of Evos actually have this problem.

Lots of useful info on this subject here: EVO LTE 4G connection issues - contact Sprint? - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates -- where many people say, "I was getting LTE, but then I saw my coworker's SG3, and he gets LTE in more places, finds it faster, drops connection less ... "

I'd be interested to hear from people that have tested with TWO LTE devices...

ananniia

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had really bad connection issues here in San Antonio lately. For the past week or so, I've also noticed more 4G in my immediate area (Sea World area). I've had it go from no connection, to 3G to 4G randomly while I've just been sitting on my bed or driving around here. So I'm assuming its the towers around here they're updating. I'm also pleasantly surprised to see more 4G around town also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zalauf