updates and others

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a refurb 4.7. It has a notice that there is an update available and it looks like system.
The Samsung site says 5.1.1 is downloading now.

I finally figured out what tablet I had, and there was a security update which also included some system that started being downloaded in Feb. I still want to know what else for system was in that download. I've been bitten before. I asked Samsung and no joy.

Also, the Tab I have is 8G, I have no problem getting and using an SD card. but how does it work?
Years ago, you downloaded App2SD and just ran it. That was Froyo and Gingerbread.

Until fixed, you have to jump through hoops with an SD card on Marshmallow. Either apps or media.

This tab is running 4.4.2 Kitkat. What's the best method for an SD card on this device?

I had Chinese Feature phone that only had 3G for apps, but apparently it only put the executable part of the app in main memory and the rest in internal memory. It worked. Is there a system like this for US SD cards?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
System updates specifically from Samsung are usually security patches. It's difficult to get an itemized changelog for those.

App2SD (App Mgr III) and Link2SD require root in order to move apps to SD (on devices that don't otherwise allow it). Be aware that moving an app to SD only moves a portion of it, since a substantial part of the app has to remain on Internal Storage to function correctly.

That Chinese phone you're referring to may have had its internal storage partitioned into an App Storage area and an "internal SD," which is part of the Internal Storage that acts like an external SD card. See here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The Chinese phone was set up as you described.

What's the best way to use a card for extra storage without rooting? I know about media, but I have apps with large databases.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're pretty limited, unless you root the device. Even then, I'm not sure how much of an app you can move to the SD card using Link2SD or App Mgr III.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886