upgrade from bestbuy.com question

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I don't have an eligible upgrade, but my friend is willing to let me use theirs (and they'll use mine when mine is eligible).

If i order the Evo at bestbuy.com and ship it to me (when they're in stock), can i just activate it on my account? Will this affect my friend's account at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
No. He will have to activate it to his account. This begs the question will he then port his number to this device? Then he'd have to swap it to your account while swapping back to his old device all while not losing phone numbers in the process. If it was easy, more people would do it. Not worth the risk of $ and loss of number in my opinion.

Don't take advantage of a loophole, this just drives device costs higher before subsidy. Also, why are you posting about a Hero in an Evo 4G section?

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I meant Evo... corrected it.

So if he activated the Evo, then switches back to his old phone, it's good to go?

Yes, it's a loophole, but the carrier gives the subsidy for the contract extension, which is implemented on my friend's account when i use his upgrade. So it's all the same. He'll be using mine in the future.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how it works through best buy. I know with sprint and the rebate, he has to activate the phone under the number thats being upgraded and keep it for a month, otherwise he loses the rebate.

My guess is that sprint won't really care. They are getting their 2 year contract either way. However I have no official word on this matter and I am just guessing. They could end up marking the ESN on the phone making it impossible to activate on a new line.

seraphemz

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually, its not the phone that he has to have activated for a month, its the PHONE SERVICE. So as long as he doesnt cancel, he will get the rebate, and you dont really have to worry about the rebate, because Best Buy does instant.

So he goes to best buy, gets the phone, activates it, then switches back to his old phone, and you get the EVO. thats it..

Really nice friend btw.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Thats not what the store or the website says. For new phones that may be true, but for upgrade it says that phone, not service has to stay active.

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did the same thing. He just activates the phone for a slightly second and can switch right back to his without losing anything. He needs to activated on his account to make the you're show on his account. After that it doesn't matter. I did the same for a friend. I use my evo I got from the google convention and he uses my upgrade and his white evo. No problem at all.

seraphemz

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Thats not what the store or the website says. For new phones that may be true, but for upgrade it says that phone, not service has to stay active.

Well its really a moot point since hes getting it from BB. He doesnt have to deal with the rebate.

( but ive done it before, and i got the rebate. for them the "phone" equals account. )

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes I did the same thing. He just activates the phone for a slightly second and can switch right back to his without losing anything. He needs to activated on his account to make the you're show on his account. After that it doesn't matter. I did the same for a friend. I use my evo I got from the google convention and he uses my upgrade and his white evo. No problem at all.

Beautiful!

Thanks everyone

RBorden629

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Go to radio shack, I got two evo's Both phones were instant rebate. Will from now on upgrade only at Radio Shack! That was one week after launch.

thewisteron

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar question. I have 4 phones on my account. Mine (primary line) is eligible on 10/1. The others are eligible on 9/1. I want to swap mine with one of the 9/1 phones so I can get it a month earlier.

So what I am hearing is that I can go to Radio Shack/Best Buy, order the phone on the other number and activate it on my number? Or do I need to activate it on the other number first?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582