Upgrade from S7 Edge

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm in a bit of a quandary, I'm planning to upgrade from my Edge to either an S9+, when released, or Pixel 2XL. The problem is, I can't decide since they both have things that I want in my next phone.

First, the Samsung. I really like the Samsung experience, not TouchWiz so much, but just the overall package and the screens are the best. Also, the cameras are top notch and that's important to me as well.

The Pixel has timely software updates, something that Samsung struggles with but I really want. It also has a great camera and I like the feel of it in my hand better than I like the S8+. (I compared it to the S8+ since it is reported to be essentially the same design as the S9+.) I realize the screen is suspect, to say the least, but the one I looked at in person, was perfectly fine. The final thing is the FPS in the center of the back away from the camera lens is a plus as well.

There you have it, my criteria as it were. I want it all, but can't seem to get it in a single phone in 2018.

So my question is if you were going to upgrade your S7 Edge, which of these two would you choose and why? Or if there is another option you'd consider, lay it on me.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm kind of in same boat this year at some point. Have the s7 edge as well, which ive enjoyed. The extra bloat and samsung apps kind of bother me a bit so the pixel 2 appeals to me, sort of. However, so used to wireless charging now, dont think i can live without. Pixel 2 doesn't have. May just have to be the s9. Headphone jack is not a big deal for me personally, as i use bluetooth; im assuming both s9 will be without just like the pixel 2.
Might really regret it, but may even try an apple device, but will maybe look at other android options first, like the oneplus 5.

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I really like wireless charging as well and I'm not sure I want to do without it. I'm also leaning towards the S9+, but I keep going back to the guaranteed software updates and I'd really like that too. It's all about which compromise I want to make I guess.

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store and tried the Note 8 for size and man is it tall! I'm 6'2" with large hands and I found it difficult to one hand it. The S pen is cool, but I think the S9+ is as tall as I would like to go.

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store and tried the Note 8 for size and man is it tall! I'm 6'2" with large hands and I found it difficult to one hand it. The S pen is cool, but I think the S9+ is as tall as I would like to go.
If you want to save a bit of cash im hearing good things about the one+ 5t. Has oreo now. I think im just going to wait till black friday even though my contract is up at end of may. S9+ is supposed to be pretty pricy.

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
wait for Google Pixel 3, Note 9, or OnePlus 6 see what they have to offer.
if you like Apple then wait for iPhone X XL

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I really like wireless charging as well and I'm not sure I want to do without it. I'm also leaning towards the S9+, but I keep going back to the guaranteed software updates and I'd really like that too. It's all about which compromise I want to make I guess.

The software updates to the latest Android version are sure nice, but in Sammy's defense while they are clearly not as good as Google on full OS releases (and especially when you add carrier limitations in), they have a good track record of keeping phones up to date with security patches for a solidly good amount of time - and are reasonably good at getting them out within a month or two after release (sometimes a little more, but they do get critical stuff out pretty quick usually).

I have a Note 4 that finally ended security patches on 1 August 2017, and my S7 Edge is currently rocking the 1 January 2018 patch that includes Meltdown/Spectre. They are late on February for sure, but then again people are starting to see Oreo on the AT&T update server, so they may have skipped Feb to work on Oreo - time will tell.

It's no "Nexus" experience, but 3 years of security patches is reasonably good. Sure beats what Lenovo did to the Moto X 2013 and Moto X 2014 as soon as they bought Moto from Google - and there were a lot of broken promises in that transition. Even security patches stopped almost immediately.