Use your EVO as a "Desktop PC", Now With CM7 Goodness!!!

Would you like the option of a "Desktop UI" web browser?

• Total voters

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
CALLING ALL DEVS: This project has spread all over the internet. It has been translated and shown up on tech sites in Germany, Italy and Russia, . I'm still looking to work with developers on a "Desktop UI" browser option. Please PM or email me to discuss details.

Example of mobile browsers vs my suggested "Deskop UI" browser skin/theme. All browsers are showing how much screen space is needed to have the equivalent features of the suggested UI. lFor a real comparison view the image fullscreen.
Browser%20compare.jpg

Last edited:

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Sweet! I need to invest in a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse!

Great write up :)

Thanks for the compliment. Sam, of FullHDMI fame, and I had been talking about this for a while now. Well more me than Sam as I miss being able to do this. I used to have something like this with a Toshiba E740 and the A/V dock.

The KB/Mouse you see here cost me $36US with shipping. I have the links to everything on the site.

There are a lot of business applications for this as well as the wow factor. It gets even better when you add in the "Gamer's" Config. If the wife will allow, I'm going to replace my Clarion Mind based CarPC with an Evo dockable Carputer.

Nice! Got a video of it in action?

I will be posting a video in the next day or two on the website and Youtube then update the first post with links.

Reactions: SmokeCrawler

EvoSickness

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Nice. I just posted a thread on a wheather or not 2.3 wil have the mouse pointer code so you dont have to have go with Cm6. There a guy who uses Andriod 7 and Full Hdmi to use the Evo as a desktop. What do you think about 2.3 having the code. And so is your browser going to become ab app anytime soon.

Heres the vid
YouTube - Using the Evo like the Atrix

Last edited:

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Nice. I just posted a thread on a wheather or not 2.3 wil have the mouse pointer code so you dont have to have go with Cm6. There a guy who uses Andriod 7 and Full Hdmi to use the Evo as a desktop. What do you think about 2.3 having the code. And so is your browser going to become ab app anytime soon.

The mouse pointer support for CM7 had already been submitted and rejected for mainly cosmetic reasons. Granted mouse point support has regained some interest since I posted this and maybe cyanogenmod will revisit the idea. Part of the problem is that CM7 has more pressing issues to address.

HDMI mirroring is kind of a small world so I'm guessing you're referring to bradleyw's vid of Android 7? He and I are subscribed to each others Youtube channels.:) Android 7 is nice, And-Win Home is much prettier though. The only issue I see from an end user stand point is the switching back and forth of launchers a couple times a day. After a while most will just end up using their regular launcher.

There's really no code to give. It's all based off of existing code with purpose specific changes that are easy to follow just by looking at end result.

The browser , xScope from x-Labs, is currently available and is not mine. Unfortunately there has been no response from x-Labs for over a month and any further development of xScope may be dead with no source code available. I'm trying to see if I can get Maxthon on board but only time will tell. Until then there's still an open call for devs.

EvoSickness

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
The mouse pointer support for CM7 had already been submitted and rejected for mainly cosmetic reasons. Granted mouse point support has regained some interest since I posted this and maybe cyanogenmod will revisit the idea. Part of the problem is that CM7 has more pressing issues to address.

HDMI mirroring is kind of a small world so I'm guessing you're referring to bradleyw's vid of Android 7? He and I are subscribed to each others Youtube channels.:) Android 7 is nice, And-Win Home is much prettier though. The only issue I see from an end user stand point is the switching back and forth of launchers a couple times a day. After a while most will just end up using their regular launcher.

There's really no code to give. It's all based off of existing code with purpose specific changes that are easy to follow just by looking at end result.

The browser , xScope from x-Labs, is currently available and is not mine. Unfortunately there has been no response from x-Labs for over a month and any further development of xScope may be dead with no source code available. I'm trying to see if I can get Maxthon on board but only time will tell. Until then there's still an open call for devs.

Wow thats crazy that they would have rejected something that should be more than simple enough for them and really is a want but could becoming a need in order to have something to keep up with newer phones like Atrix and not be rendered obsolete. And so what do you think about 2.3 having the pointer since you did answer that. They have to be implementing this they will look stupid if they dont.

By switching launcher do you mean apps. Because Android 7 and Win home which I had never herd of I will be looking that up now are apps. You dont need to switch launchers for that.

I did not know about Xscope I thought it was yours. And thats crazy that they havent answered you hopefully they will at one point because it looks very well built.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion as someone that has been using similar tech for ten years now. Any device that has mirroring capability at a core level with HID support should have full mirroring and mouse pointers.

Android 7 and And-Win are no different than Launcher Pro or ADW.

UPDATE:
The guide now has links to the apps and hardware now. I won't link CM6.1.2 Alpha 3 though as there's no source available unless the mods say that I can.

Last edited:

EvoSickness

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion as someone that has been using similar tech for ten years now. Any device that has mirroring capability at a core level with HID support should have full mirroring and mouse pointers.

Android 7 and And-Win are no different than Launcher Pro or ADW.

UPDATE:
The guide now has links to the apps and hardware now. I won't link CM6.1.2 Alpha 3 though as there's no source available unless the mods say that I can.
Thats what Iam saying. They were slacking by not implementing that in 2.2. So does that mean you think 2.3 will have that ability.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Need feedback
There is a way to assign scripts to hardware keys. So yes or no guys? If yes, what would you liike to see.

Thats what Iam saying. They were slacking by not implementing that in 2.2. So does that mean you think 2.3 will have that ability.
On a stock ROM, never. CM7, yes.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Update: "Desktop UI" browser poll added. I may be able to get Maxthon Browser on board with this project by giving a "Desktop UI" option in their browser. They do ofcourse want to make sure there is a demand first.

EvoSickness

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you using win home because I looked it up and cant find it on the market. It looks good but very similar to Android 7. What are the main diffrences.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you using win home because I looked it up and cant find it on the market. It looks good but very similar to Android 7. What are the main diffrences.

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you. I'm both here and on xda, helping out the Maxthon guys A LOT, and so on.

To answer your question And-Win Home is only available via the And-Win site. I agree that it is very nice looking but it really eats up CPU cycles. OC'd to 1152 on my stripped out ROM it is still slows the phone down greatly. The one advantage is that it replicates windows better but should really only be used for showing off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa Oliver