Use your EVO as a "Desktop PC", Now With CM7 Goodness!!!

Would you like the option of a "Desktop UI" web browser?

• Total voters

EvoSickness

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about taking so long to get back to you. I'm both here and on xda, helping out the Maxthon guys A LOT, and so on.

To answer your question And-Win Home is only available via the And-Win site. I agree that it is very nice looking but it really eats up CPU cycles. OC'd to 1152 on my stripped out ROM it is still slows the phone down greatly. The one advantage is that it replicates windows better but should really only be used for showing off.

No problem everybody today is busy trying to make money lol. Ok I will check it out but it eats up that much cpu then I will just use Android 7 which does a very nice job at replicating windows. What are you helping them out with. And qestion that has nothing to do with desktop abilities of the Evo. There is a guy on android forums that was able to re write a code to make the Camera app Lgcamera be able to record video with AAC audio which before I found out the only way was with Cynogen6 Rom.
He said you only have to be rooted on the stock rom and re write this code.
What exactly did he do and where did he put the code.

"I did it! AAC recording with lgCamera on a basic stock rooted EVO. No kernel, no rom, just clear sound and 720p!

I just grabbed the libomx_aacenc_sharedlibrary.so from the Warm Z 2.2 2/23/11 Rls1 and tossed it in the system/lib folder, then made sure to add AAC entries into the build.prop and media_profiles.xml(which may not be needed if lgCamera is just looking for the library file) and sweet sweet sound coming from the video file.

The regular HTC camera app still records with the low quality AMR codec. It actually crashed the first time I tried it because I tried to add 720p recording to H264. After restarting it, it seemed to reset it's options to default.

Maybe if I replace it with the HTCCamera.apk from the same rom I got the aac encoder from it will record with aac. Just a guess, though. I'll stick with lgCamera for now and test it a bit more tomorrow.

Thank You Mr. Ed for pointing me to the Z port!"

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It works with HDMwIn as well. I put FullHDMI in the instructions due to me being so closely associated with FullHDMI here on A/C. If you would like I can change the software list to something less app specific.

No it's fine. I was just wondering if it would be aq waste of time for me to try with HDMI Win. So I can just follow your instructions but substitute HDMI Win for Full HDMI and it should work?

Excellent job compiling this by the way.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I will be handling port requests through my website. If there is enough demand and the device can support it I will work with developers to get this ported to your device. Start a thread in your respective device's forum to see if there is enough demand and refer them to this thread and the website for details.

To make things easier you device needs the following:
The ability to run a CyanogenMod 7 ROM
High resolution video out (HDMI preferred for ease of porting)

I have also updated the first post with this information as well.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys. The project is at a standstill right now as my regular PC's power supply died. The power supply is specific to the case so I will have to rebuild vs replace. I was working on getting ALL the keys on the keyboard working by editing the kcm.bin files. This cannot be done via a text editor so no on Evo edits. As soon as I can get the power supply rebuilt I'll pick up where I left off. Also, until then, site updates will not be happening. It's not that I can't do it (Evo Destop PC) but the updates have to be hard coded on the Evo then uploaded one file at a time. Sorry guys.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about your PC man, i know how that feels.

Anyways, appreciate all the work youve been putting into this. Just keeps getting better and better. From your benchmarking of HDMI apps, and now this your work isnt going unnoticed by me at least!

Great stuff.

herrerarivera

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
How do you get the mouse to work

On your video, your left click opens applications, this is not what my left click does.

How did you get it to work?

Thanks.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
On your video, your left click opens applications, this is not what my left click does.

How did you get it to work?

Thanks.

Nothing. By default, left click is the same as touching the screen. So left click should open the app unless you have changed the settings in the launcher.

herrerarivera

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Where are the settings in the launcher. Could they got changed by error? I cant explain what the left click does but it is not like a screen tap for sure. I had this working fine on CM6.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Where are the settings in the launcher. Could they got changed by error? I cant explain what the left click does but it is not like a screen tap for sure. I had this working fine on CM6.

There seems to be some bugs in the mouse pointer for CM7 with regards to certain keyboards and mice. It's being looked into and an update should come soon. Post your issues over in the CM7 Mouse Pointer thread on the CM forums. As soon as there is an update I'll update the files in the OP. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

herrerarivera

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
So now the only thing to be done is to have one of the RDP apps or logmein to implement or add mouse support to the apps and then do a remote desktop to your work or home pc, and then you can actually convert your Evo into a workstation! Come on guys, you can do it!