Using s pen on samsung galaxy note 3 heats up the phone

ARNIE CHAN

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I noticed that the use of raises the battery temp very quickly ? I don't think this was the case with note 2.
I installed the batetry widget (from elvision) and noticed that as soon as i start drawing something using s pen the temp of the batter starts going up
and when it reahces like 90 deg F you will start feeling the back of the phone (near camera) getting warmer.

is this normal ? Please share your thoughts , i still have a week to go to return the phone.
A

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This is the first I've heard that but I keep my phone in case too. ...and have not used the S-Pen a whole lot since I got the phone. Thanks for the heads-up.

ARNIE CHAN

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Can you test it and let me know ? I don't have a case and feel my phone getting warmer when it reaches 90F. Can you try S PEN with case and without case ?

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
This really shouldn't be surprising in general. The Wacom digitizer that the S pen works with and the software that drives it will take extra operation and processing power, plus the screen staying on longer for the pen use. That means a draw on the battery. how big that draw is, and that the temp rise is about 15-20 degrees from where it started, just doesn't seem that significant.

I frequently run my Note 3 in bursts, 20 minutes of web work, reading book, playing a casual game. Nothing really intensive and it heats up like you describe. Not hot, but warm. So did my old phone in the same use. Seems normal to me.

johnmares

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. I just got my note 3 with at&t. It heats up when I play games an I don't play long because my phone heats up around the top back by the camera. What's wrong?

DrSavant

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I just got my note 3 with at&t. It heats up when I play games an I don't play long because my phone heats up around the top back by the camera. What's wrong?

Nothing - just a fast processor, in a plastic body. Many Note 3s tend to heat up quickly, when in high cpu consumption mode. Some games would do that, some won't. Dead Trigger 2 is a great example - cooks things up very quickly.

Posted via Android Central App

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Never with the s pen but definitely with high end games. I remember my iPhone 5 would almost burn when I played 3d games, but it wasn't really a problem for me

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
We want phones that have extreme processing power and are super thin, but that comes at a cost. The heat that is generated by the processor/screen/gpu/etc needs to be dissipated and that is why we feel the phone getting warm. I wouldn't worry about it all unless it gets very hot, but I will tell you this, I have not noticed mine getting hot when using the S-pen. If you get a chance, stop by your carrier's store and play with another phone and see if the same happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86