Verizon and Samsung: Get with the HD calling already!!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The feature rolled out to both the Droid Turbo and the LG G3 (right now for $30 with Verizon) during the week, yet one of the most expensive phones in Verizon's line up is still sitting here without the Advanced calling. Both Samsung and Verizon say each other decides when it is pushed out.

I don't care who decides. Just get it done. We've spent the money. Do you jobs!!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's just annoying because I already had the feature on a 14-month old phone and now I sit and wait on the most expensive phone I've ever owned. Someone needs to do the shout out to the two giants who call the shots. Maybe they are not listening, but I am willing to make the effort.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It is voice over LTE and it works similar to Face Time and Hangouts but it is in perfectly clear HD audio and video. Of course, the person you are speaking with must also have VoLTE or the function does not work.

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
... but what makes the voice "HD" other than going through LTE. Does it actually sound better? I doubt it. It mostly helps Verizon cut cost by eliminating CDMA.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
... but what makes the voice "HD" other than going through LTE. Does it actually sound better? I doubt it. It mostly helps Verizon cut cost by eliminating CDMA.

Actually it does sound way .. Way.. More clear. It is very noticeable and isn't a gimmick.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

The quality of HD (high-definition) voice is similar to the voice quality of a Skype-to-Skype call, if you've ever made one of those.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
It is voice over LTE and it works similar to Face Time and Hangouts but it is in perfectly clear HD audio and video. Of course, the person you are speaking with must also have VoLTE or the function does not work.

We enabled it on my wife's GS5 and it was horrible. No one could hear her, ever... We are much better off without it.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I had it with my Droid Maxx. Honestly, it was AWFUL. It's NOT ready for prime time yet. I NEVER drop calls with traditional calling. With Advanced Calling I was back to, "Can you hear me now?", unfortunately the answer more often than not was no. I cancelled it not long after I turned it on. No lie, I dropped every single call I had at least once per call. Some more than once. I live in a suburb of Cincinnati. It's not like I live in the sticks or a place filled with mountains and hills.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had it on my Maxx and calls made to other HD voice phones were MUCH better. They were very clear and it sounded like the person was right next to me. Calls made to non HD phones sounded a bit like in a tin box, but no worse than current calling. Also, the video between HD phones is much better. I used to call my niece with Hangouts and it was always grainy and it lagged. She has the S5 and when we did the HD video is was super clear and smooth.