Verizon closed upgrade Loophole for family share plan members?

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The key section being the following:

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?
We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee if we fail to negate the change after you notify us of your objection to it.

Bottom line: if they change the data plan, I can cancel service without paying an ETF.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They were able to remove the 20 month upgrade for current customers.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I see it says service which I think means your line, data is listed as a feature if you look online. I am under contract and I have the option to remove my data but I do not have the option to remove or cancel my line of service. If data is part of the contract I don't think we would be able to remove it.

If data is part of our contact how are we able to upgrade a line with a smart phone then cancel the data put a dumb phone on that said line, there would be a ETF for the data portion, Verizon only requires us to have the line of service for duration of contract. Verizon calls it alternate upgrade.

I'm looking for specific wording about data contract, but not finding it, so you could be right, but I wouldn't think Verizon would have alternate upgrades and allow us to drop the data part if data was part of the contract. It's a mystery and Verizon probably won't yank it while on contract anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
When you sign a 2 year contract you are agreeing to pay for that line of service and abide by the Terms of Service (which are subject to change ) for 24 months

Data is most certainly part of my contract. (I'm not telling you it's part of yours; I haven't seen your contract.)

The requirements
to have data or not had to do with the kind of device on the line. If you upgrade or sign up with a smartphone you have to have data but if you put a basic phone on the line you can remove it. Likewise if you sign up with a basic phone and switch to a smartphone you have to add it. You can change to any supported phone at any time and change to any current plan that supports that phone at any time

So you can't turn your data off without paying a ETF? I know smart phones require data but you can change to a dumb phone and drop the data.

Either way I'm sure Verizon won't take anyone's unlimited data away till their contract is up if they do it at all.

If too switch to a basic phone yes you can remove the data plan and no the ETF will not apply. However the amount of the ETF is assigned when you sign based upon the kind of devices you bought at subsidised pricing.

An exception is with some third party sellers like Amazon and LetsTalk who have additional strings where if you remove the data in the first 6 months and a fee is assessed by them directly.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
When you sign a 2 year contract you are agreeing to pay for that line of service and abide by the Terms of Service (which are subject to change ) for 24 months

The requirements
to have data or not had to do with the kind of device on the line. If you upgrade or sign up with a smartphone you have to have data but if you put a basic phone on the line you can remove it. Likewise if you sign up with a basic phone and switch to a smartphone you have to add it. You can change to any supported phone at any time and change to any current plan that supports that phone at any time

If too switch to a basic phone yes you can remove the data plan and no the ETF will not apply. However the amount of the ETF is assigned when you sign based upon the kind of devices you bought at subsidised pricing.

An exception is with some third party sellers like Amazon and LetsTalk who have additional strings where if you remove the data in the first 6 months and a fee is assessed by them directly.

So do you know the answer to the question, can Verizon remove unlimited data and not void the contract?

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I am no lawyer by any means but I find it hard to believe they would change the terms of a feature mid contract to something less than what you agreed and then require you to have that feature on a phone you paid for without letting you opt out of contract. Seems like a PR nightmare for verizon. Not that it matters to me being I have been out of contract for a while now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So do you know the answer to the question, can Verizon remove unlimited data and not void the contract?

If they were to do that while the line is under contract I believe they would have to let you out of your contract ETF free but they are smarter than that. If they do that they would wait till 24 months after the last person could have signed a 2 year contract grandparented in. At that point everyone with unlimited data will be month to month customers and it would not matter since they can leave at any time anyway. When you are a month to month customer they can do whatever they want since the contract is no longer in effect.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure we will lose unlimited eventually anyway. I just don't see where it's tied to a contract is all.

I don't think they will take unlimited away while in contract for the PR. What's going to be bad is the people that buy a phone at full retail so they can keep unlimited data and then Verizon takes it away

BRye

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure we will lose unlimited eventually anyway. I just don't see where it's tied to a contract is all.

I don't think they will take unlimited away while in contract for the PR. What's going to be bad is the people that buy a phone at full retail so they can keep unlimited data and then Verizon takes it away

According to the manager at the store I went to today, all unlimited data plans will default to 2 gig plans on September 1st or 2nd. I am not sure if he was trying to trick me out of my unlimited, but I told him we'll see.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
According to the manager at the store I went to today, all unlimited data plans will default to 2 gig plans on September 1st or 2nd. I am not sure if he was trying to trick me out of my unlimited, but I told him we'll see.

Won't be long if that rumor is true. Lol

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

They have got another year until the last of the grandparentrd unlimited plans will be out of contract so this is unlikely. Also like when they raised the price on Extended Warranty and Total Equipment Coverage we all had to get written notice 60 days ahead of it so I think he's blowing smoke.

I could see that happening next year though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

My guess is that the likelihood of this would be very low. Ask him to show you the documentation backing up this claim... If he can't or won't, chances are he is pulling your leg. Verizon usually leaks policy changes ahead of the actual change date.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Rumor has been refuted.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
. If they do that they would wait till 24 months after the last person could have signed a 2 year contract grandparented in.
I just got my unlimited data plan renewed for 2 more years starting 12/1/2013-12/1/2015 by doing an upgrade transfer to and upgrading on my dummy line then switching the new phone to my UDP line. So they will have to wait another 23 months to kick me off of unlimited data!