Verizon Confiscated My Phone???

Hottuba

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
So I am no longer with Verizon and gave a friend of mine the bionic I was using. I bought it off of ebay brand new and sealed and have had no issues with it. My friend doesn't have an LTE phone so he called and the person he spoke to said he had to go into a corporate Verizon store to get an LTE sim for free since we get a corporate discount. He took the phone in with him and the rep had already popped out the sim and was getting ready to transfer everything when he said that he had to run it through a couple of databases and then took the phone and said that it came up in either the unpaid contract database or the stolen phone database but wouldn't say which one. The rep said they would keep the phone at that location but that he couldn't activate the phone. I have never had a problem with activating a LTE phone when I was on Verizon and this is the first time I have had this happen. Was wondering what I could do to resolve it. Any help would be appreciated.

Hottuba

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
The thing is my line was part of a family plan that is still active and in good standing. I thought that with their LTE network everything was tied to the sim card, not the phone itself. I don't know why they would have even needed the phone.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The thing is my line was part of a family plan that is still active and in good standing. I thought that with their LTE network everything was tied to the sim card, not the phone itself. I don't know why they would have even needed the phone.

They still use the phone's ESN, so if it comes up as stolen or a problem with the bill, the phone is unusable.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Hottuba

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Do they have the right to take the phone though? Like I said I never had a problem with anything when I had the phone. I put my sim in and it worked just fine. He should at least be able to go in there and get the phone back without activating anything right?

Hottuba

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I just checked with the store down the street from my house, which is not corporate, and he looked up my account history and it shows that I activated and used it just fine and that the Thunderbolt I am using is whats active on my account, so there should be no reason why they couldn't have activated it. I think when he gets back I will have him demand the phone back and take it to this location and have him call customer retention to get the sim card charge credited to his bill, at the least.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I just checked with the store down the street from my house, which is not corporate, and he looked up my account history and it shows that I activated and used it just fine and that the Thunderbolt I am using is whats active on my account, so there should be no reason why they couldn't have activated it. I think when he gets back I will have him demand the phone back and take it to this location and have him call customer retention to get the sim card charge credited to his bill, at the least.

Any update?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Did you give your friend your phone or loan it to him? The reason I am asking is because I want to know who owned the phone. If you owned the phone, you need to file a police report. If you gave it to your friend and he owned it by virtue of a gift from you, then he needs to file a police report.

Even if you only loaned the phone to your friend, he needs to come with you to file the report and list himself as a witness.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
They are try to re coup their loss. That's why they kept the phone.
Oh lord. You don't have a right in this country to take someone's property to recoup a loss you claim they caused you.

What your remedy is if you claim that someone owes you money is to file a complaint against them in a civil court and win a judgment against them. After you do, then you can go through all the processes available to you to recoup your loss, none of which entitles you to steal someone's property. You can place a lien on someone's property and foreclose on the lien or in certain instances like an auto loan you can repossess the property.

But he bought the phone off of ebay, not from VZW. They cannot take his phone.

If the phone he bought off of ebay is stolen, their recourse is to call the cops. But they can't take possession of the phone themselves. The cops can, but they can't.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's pretty lame. They don't just get to keep the phone. I bet there were some "extra" photo's on there of your girlfriend or something.

Go get it back.

On a side note, i'm curious as to why LTE needs a SIM card. I can understand maybe if its due to ESN can't register 3G & 4G at the same time, but Sprint doesn't use SIM cards for 3G & 4G WiMax, and they are the another CDMA carrier...

I wonder if it was just a design call, "hey were gonna do it this way" type of thing.

Odd though..

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that's pretty lame. They don't just get to keep the phone. I bet there were some "extra" photo's on there of your girlfriend or something.

Go get it back.

On a side note, i'm curious as to why LTE needs a SIM card. I can understand maybe if its due to ESN can't register 3G & 4G at the same time, but Sprint doesn't use SIM cards for 3G & 4G WiMax, and they are the another CDMA carrier...

I wonder if it was just a design call, "hey were gonna do it this way" type of thing.

Odd though..

LTE is technically a variation of GSM (really more of a hybrid of CDMA and GSM because it includes some of the things that make CDMA superior), but really it's just the way the carrier chose to implement it. Believe it or not there are CDMA carriers overseas that use SIM cards (well they call them something else actually).

My personal belief is that Verizon chose to implement LTE with SIM cards to facilitate international roaming on not only LTE networks but also legacy GSM/HSPA+ ones as wel,l as we are about to see that feature added (via a software update) to the LG Spectrum and Droid 4.

ILL REPUTE

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
This is very fishy, I work for a premium retailer,the programs we use are the exact same as corporate. There is a tab to check the device and see if it is lost or stolen, and it gives you a reason (i.e. insurance claims,theft,suspended, etc..) if the account was in good standing, and you put a Thunderbolt on your line and it still active, they have no right to take that phone. go the to the store and demand it back!

P.S.
The LTE network is tied to the sim, but now we have to enter the device ESN so it's compatiable(probably to cut down on skrinkage) please let me know how this goes:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers