Vizio CoStar: Broken, Working, Happy, Pissed?

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well it seems that there are not a lot of positive reviews about the CoStar. I just got mine today and after reading many of your posts, I expected very little. Mine came DOA. I get a splash screen and then blackness. Nothing works.
How about you. Did yours turn on? Does it still work? Does it do what you wanted?

I hope to read some positive posts, but I bet they will be in the minority.

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Sadly I hope you don't get my experience and they will get you a unit quick or actually refund your money properly.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Things like this just look bad for Google TV. If Google wants to be serious about this they need to test these things and have standards. Maybe with the nexus Q not shipping they are making it a Google TV type device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

rom1966

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Man I hope so. I've always wondered why Google has never made / branded their own box. Maybe with the phone and tablet out they'll focus on the box for a cool hat trick...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Least you got to setup. Pretty sure they just have a bad batch of boards on them or something. Enough worked to get past QC (If there is one), but a bunch of bad parts got out. Just hope my replacement will have fully working parts. It needs to stream video from my Buffalo CloudStor NAS. It uses a PogoPlug app which I have already been told, is not available for it yet. Hopefully it will just recognize it on the network and anything else is gravy. I may even use OnLive on it.

thegalapagos

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
mine sent to a unit with no physical address. complaints after complaints still have not got it yet. very lousy customer service department. bad start, really.

shibumi

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with mine. I already posted in another thread so I won't repeat that all here, but so far I like it more than my Revue.

Just wanted to let folks know that all hope is not lost - and they're not ALL bad.. :D I do hope those that have had a bad experience so far get some help from Vizio.

kenbarnum

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I am getting a new one shipped via UPS now...I assume ground but am crossing my fingers for 2 day.
I liked it when I tested before it died so I'm hoping I just got a lemon because it was the 1st batch.
Customer service was helpful for me.

wicketr

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I think i had the same issue as some of y'all. After I did the update, it rebooted to a black screen. I unplugged it and tried again, and got the same thing. Tried it again and the third time seemed to be the charm and it booted all the way up. I've tried several times since, and it's worked every time since then.

Considering the thing has a power button to turn it on/off, I wish there were a light in the front telling you what state it was in.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am getting a new one shipped via UPS now...I assume ground but am crossing my fingers for 2 day.
I liked it when I tested before it died so I'm hoping I just got a lemon because it was the 1st batch.
Customer service was helpful for me.

Mine was also shipped UPS, made the order yesterday and got the shipping number. Still has not been picked up after over 24 hours and they told me 8-11 days so we will see. Not even sure if they have the boxes to ship out yet.

Phillykef

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problems as everyone else, but the Customer Service guy said to do a hard reset on the box, and after that it's been working really well. Not perfect (still some lag), but 10x better than the first time I set it up. Weird, I know, but I'm actually happy with it now.

terice1978

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I got mine today and it has been a headache. The initial setup was OK. Then came the update and reboot. And then it was a $100 coaster for a while. Several hard resets later, still nothing. Then I powered it up and held the reset button on the bottom for a LONG time. It came back to life, but I had to do the setup all over again, and now the TV codes that worked during the first setup don't work. I hope there will be better software soon, and I hope the next update goes better than the first. So far, I'm not impressed.

Ron Zombie

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
As said already Shipping SUCKED!
Installed mine and it never went to a setup screen.
A Google Play Account was already created with an email that isn't mine.
It is stuck in a loop of updating.
I am wondering if somehow I got a returned unit?
Called Vizio and after about an hour I was told they have no idea and will send me out another unit when the next shipment comes in!

deeteroderdas

May 19, 2011
Visit site
We've had ours for two weeks now, and it's meh, coming from a Logitech Revue, which we loved.

Still getting used to the remote, which I swear is made for right-handed users (I'm left-handed). Flipping the remote over to access the QWERTY and it's always upside-down for me.

Still adding apps.

Functionally, haven't had any problems with it, except for we have another streaming media (SkyAngel) box connected to the HDMI Input and it doesn't seem to want to pass a good signal through. Don't really use the SkyAngel box much, so haven't taken a lot of time to troubleshoot.

For sure, "cutting the cord" has definitely helped to wean us away from the boob tube, and on to other pastimes, like reading.

Concho Pete

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have remote issues. Nine days ago, Vizio tech support came to the conclusion that the remote was indeed bad, and will send out a new one. The replacment will be here on Wednesday of next week.

Hopefully the new remote will solve the problem, and I can try out the CoStar. The device itself has been a paper weight for the last two weeks. If the problem is not resolved with the replacement remote, I'm boxing it up and sending it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kazank