(VM701) How to use wired headset contols with music apps

muskamj

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
NOTE: This is my first mod and first attempt at a tutorial, so please let me know if any of the directions are unclear

I work in an electronics store and was thinking about purchasing the Klipsch S4a headphones with controls for Android devices and was disappointed to discover that the controls only worked to open up my call log and dial the last number listed. This is the same functionality I get with my Monster iSport headphones with controls for iPhone. I did some searching and nothing was really helpful, but I did eventually, through trial and error find a solution that worked. Below is the process I used for my VM701:

Tested only on VM701 running the Gelato rom. I am not sure if the procedure will work the same way on other roms. You must be rooted for this to work.
1. Download the button remapper apk from XDA here and install it.
2. Open the Button remapper and find entry number 226 named (headsethook). Tap to edit the entry.
3. You will see a drop down menu "Action" which contains all of the possible functions a hardware button can perform. Select "Media Play Pause" and leave the "State" drop down menu at "WAKE"
4. Press "OK" to save the changes. Hit "Apply" which will reboot your device. Now the middle button on iPhone headphones and the single button on Android or Blackberry headphones will play and pause your music.
5. Download and install the Klipsch Control App for free in the market here. This app is designed for use with Klipsch's S4a headset, but I have tested it with many brands of iPhone headphones and universal sets as well and can confirm it functions as it should with most, if not all, of them.
6. Open the app and make sure the "Enable Headset Control" is checked. Open "General Settings," open "Default Music App" and select which music app you want the headset to control. You can try leaving this blank, but I did not get the buttons to function properly this way.
7. Open whichever music app you chose and test the buttons.

If anything goes wrong, open the Button Remapper app, hit your menu button, and hit "Restore." This should restore your default keylayout. If this does not work, you could, through CWM, clear your cache and dalvik cache and reflash Gelato (or whichever custom rom you are on) and the keylayout will be returned to default.

The default control scheme is as follows:

Single click: play/pause music or answer incoming call
Double click: skip to next track
Triple click: skip to previous track or end call
Press and hold: Gradually increase volume

There are many different ways to customize what the buttons do. In the Klipsch app, click "Volume Settings" or "Button Settings" to see the options and choose which ones will work best for you. For example, my single click skips my music forward because I do that most often, double click plays and pauses, and triple click opens voice search so I can make calls without taking the phone out of my pocket using voice dialing.

Ask any questions you may have in the thread below and I'll try to answer them as soon as possible.

Final notes: There are several paid apps in the market which do the same thing the Klipsch app does. All of them have trial versions. I would recommend trying these out as well and if you like them, purchase them to support the developers. You can only have one control app installed at a time, though. Otherwise they will interfere with each other, so make sure to uninstall whichever one you have installed before trying a new one. My favorite paid control app is Headset Control, but there are others as well.

Also, this should work on any Android device. You would just have to find where the (headsethook) button is mapped. It was 226 for this device, but I'm guessing that number would be different on other devices.

Credit for the Button Remapper goes to appelflap on XDA forums. Here is a link to the original thread about the app. This app can, in theory, remap any of the functions of your phone's hardware buttons which is pretty cool. You could do this by editing the button layout script yourself, found here: system/usr/keylayout/gelato_keypad.kl, but I found using the app to be much easier.

Reactions: funnybrains12

DreamPCs

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so I read your tutorial and I installed Button Remapper, problem is I don't have a 226 or a headsethook. I tried running the app with and without the iPhone headphones connected, it made no difference. Any suggestions?

(screenshot included)

muskamj

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad someone finally had a use for this, but unfortunately, as the last person said, if you have a different phone it probably won't work. It looks as if your phone doesn't have this capability at all.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

muskamj

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I also wanted to make a note that I have been unable to get the answer and end call function to work. The whole reason I did this was to be able to answer calls without taking the phone out of my pocket. Apparently the slider does not have the capability to do that. If anyone can help figure out how to do this, I would appreciate it very much. This is probably the only iphone feature I'm slightly jealous of.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thompson