Voice Typing not Working

philipdepalo

Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
The title says it all. I press the microphone icon, it lights up, there is the audible prompt, I start speaking and nothing happens. It finally times out as of I haven't said anything. Just started about 5 days ago. Pixel 6 Pro with latest updates. Doesn't work in any app.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The title says it all. I press the microphone icon, it lights up, there is the audible prompt, I start speaking and nothing happens. It finally times out as of I haven't said anything. Just started about 5 days ago. Pixel 6 Pro with latest updates. Doesn't work in any app.
I have to restart my phone to get it working, but only until it stops again.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Are you using the correct microphone icon? There are two in the messaging app. One for a voice recording, one for voice typing.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Now I noticed that the keyboard microphone button doesn't change color when you tap it, but it does appear to be working now.

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I too have had this problem. And, clearing the data and the cache does allow voice typing to work. However, SwiftKey works all the time.

Last edited:

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the key to this is that it's somehow connected back to Google Assistant. So is it an issue with the keyboard, or GA?

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
I think the key to this is that it's somehow connected back to Google Assistant. So is it an issue with the keyboard, or GA?
Upon working with GA, I too found that voice typing worked when GA functioned properly. Go figure.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
And right now, it's working for me in multiple apps. I'm speaking this response right now. I do notice you can't say send when trying to finish up, it tells you that command is not available in this app. I guess that's only available in Messages. But the clear function is available, if I say clear it erases the last sentence I spoke out.