WebOS > Android.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Since we are asking about WebOS--> Android usage questions here:

One thing I would like to know is does Android have a universal search feature? On the Pre you just open the keyboard and start typing. It then lists any contacts that match including bookmark shortcuts saved on the launcher, then apps that match, then gives the option to search Google, Wikipedia etc...

It is intuitive for me. I can just type the first few character of an application then select and launch it really fast this way.

I can also select a contact and hit the SMS icon next to their name and send a text really fast.

Does Android allow this type of usage?

kalldrexx

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Since we are asking about WebOS--> Android usage questions here:

One thing I would like to know is does Android have a universal search feature? On the Pre you just open the keyboard and start typing. It then lists any contacts that match including bookmark shortcuts saved on the launcher, then apps that match, then gives the option to search Google, Wikipedia etc...

It is intuitive for me. I can just type the first few character of an application then select and launch it really fast this way.

I can also select a contact and hit the SMS icon next to their name and send a text really fast.

Does Android allow this type of usage?

Yes. If your phone has a search button on the phone hardware then you just hit that and the search window will come up (most phones have this). If not you can just use the search widget on the home screen and start typing. It will search for apps, contacts, and any other information that it has avaiable to it (mint.com transactions if you allow it, contact addresses, music, etc..)

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, yes I already pre-ordered my Evo. I am just trying to learn as much as I can beforehand. I have yet to actually use an Android device, sad to say i:(i

kalldrexx

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The biggest thing to get used to coming from WebOS, IMO, is that you have to realize that multi-tasking on Android is automatic. You do not need to kill and manage tasks, the Android OS does it for you (and much better than you can).

glamisfanatic

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The pre is laggy when its stock, but if you add the 800mhz patch it runs pretty smoothly. Ive had it on for months and never had an issue. Ill probably switch to the EVO unless an uber palm device is announced this summer. WebOS i think has the potential to be the best smart phone OS out there. Android would come in second for me though. I shouldn't even be talking cause ive never even used an android phone for more than 2 minutes.

le_seus

May 18, 2010
Visit site
wow great thread.exactly what i was looking for. does anyone else have any experience with android after using webos? did you think it was a smooth transition? r u satisfied in general? and specifically...how is the speed dial? if i want to assign like 12-15 speed dials is that easy to access?

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
A Pre user about to jump to the Evo. So as the pathetic, information starved, can't wait for it person that I seem to be, I looked through the Droid Incredible's user manual to see what type of transition I have in store. I noticed that when the phone is locked and a call comes in, you slide down to answer or slide up to ignore. Just a warning for those of us on WebOS who will probably ignore a few calls by mistake while we're getting accustomed to the new OS.

dvargas72

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I found that on the 2.1 version software, with the Hero at least, a quick double tap on the home key brings up all open windows, "cards" in a circular view. I came over from WebOS also and this is the closest you're gonna get.

pcon

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Another user here moving from the Pre to EVo. My question is about the mail app, can I use and regularly receive emails from my 5 work accounts coming from our Linux server and use my personal gmail as a secondary account?

DerekHall

May 17, 2010
Visit site
wow great thread.exactly what i was looking for. does anyone else have any experience with android after using webos? did you think it was a smooth transition? r u satisfied in general? and specifically...how is the speed dial? if i want to assign like 12-15 speed dials is that easy to access?

I just came over from a Palm Pre recently and now have a Samsung Moment. Personal preference, but I could.not.stand the Pre. I wanted to smash it so many times it's lucky it lasted.

It was a smooth transition. I still look for the on/off button at the top of the phone, and I have caught myself swiping up to kick an app into its card, but that's slowing down. I suppose I miss that ease of the cards. In general, I LOVE Android, and my Moment specifically.

Speed dial is pretty easy. I set up one of my home pages with a shortcut for each contact I often dial (or message). It's a widget-like shortcut that I think came when I upgrade to 2.1. So I definitely like speed dial on Android better than WebOS.

Hope that helps a little.

TrueDrooid

May 22, 2010
Visit site
This is an interesting thread and im glad to see so many fellow WebOs ship jumpers chiming in. I am interested in knowing if the Android can use a talk to sms feature? I heard something of it but havent got to see anything like that in action.

I am looking at getting the Evo in June Im going to miss the simple slide switch to silence the alerts (although whats the point of the switch if the music players volume overides it anyways??) anyhow, Is there a quick & easy way to silence the phone volume settings?

Trailblazer

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am also coming from Palm PRE. I have gotten used to the Pre and WebOS. My biggest concern is the mail integration with Exchange. All my mail, contacts and calendar are stored on an exchange server. Once I set up my phone to sync to the server, everything gets downloaded. No backup needed and no transfer of contacts from one phone to another. Does Android (and EVO) work at least as well as the PRE for exchange? I dont care for automatic phone lock. Actually if there is a hack to bypass it, that would be a plus.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I had a Palm Pre along with quite a few smartphones before my Droid. The WebOs platform is actually pretty nice. I do like my Droid better but I did like the idea of having the multiple cards on the screen. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
This was all great info, one of my concerns is for memos. I use the memo app on my Pre a lot, go in to get info while on the phone, then go back to the call without any problems. Is Android able to do this ? Also, does it come with a memo app ? I've been trying to load up on Android info as much as possible before my EVO on June 4th.

FuManChuu

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This was all great info, one of my concerns is for memos. I use the memo app on my Pre a lot, go in to get info while on the phone, then go back to the call without any problems. Is Android able to do this ? Also, does it come with a memo app ? I've been trying to load up on Android info as much as possible before my EVO on June 4th.

Yiiiiikes, Memos on the Pre was a horrid horrid step backwards from memos on Palm OS... so knowing nothing about android - I'm going to assume you'll be able to find a comparable featured messenger :>

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I also need a good memo application. I found one called "Note Everything" and it looks promising.
I liked the idea that it says it imports palm memo pdb files, if so that will be GREAT!

Note Everything - Android app on AppBrain

If it works well I will probably get the Pro-Add-On for it.

Also came across one called "3banana Notes" that I want to try out.
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.threebanana.notes

Another one called "AK Notepad"
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.akproduction.notepad

Hope this helps! I cannot test them until I get my Evo though.

Last edited:

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I also need a good memo application. I found one called "Note Everything" and it looks promising.
I liked the idea that it says it imports palm memo pdb files. if so that will be GREAT!

Hope this helps! I cannot test it until I get my Evo though.
Note Everything - Android app on AppBrain

If it works well I will probably get the Pro-Add-On for it.

Looks promising, hope it works well.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's a tip: While using the stock browser, hit" menu" then " windows" and it brings up something r that looks quite familiar.
That was one of my main concerns using the browser

Dolphin hd was not an option for me. I hated it.