What do you think of the Galaxy Gear smartwatch

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes you are probably right but I couldn't help buying it

Gesendet von meinem SM-N900 mit Tapatalk

Me either but I see no reason why those same features in as yet to be announced Gear 2 could not be brought to this Gear via software update. Happy with my purchase.

Posted via Android Central App

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Think of it as a very cool $300 watch and everything else it does is just a huge bonus!

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I wound up missing it. So I corrected the mistake.

P.S. The Gear also works with the S4. I don't think too many people know this though. The AT&T rep showed me his Gear and S4 happily paired and working. You'd think Samsung would want to publicize this.

from a Note 3

The Galaxy Gear doesn't work fully with the Galaxy S4 yet. The Gear will make and receive phone calls with the S4, but text message and email(?) notifications don't come through. Weather information doesn't load, either. There are some other threads that detail what works and what doesn't work with the S4.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I think it makes sense from a business perspective on Samsung's part. As an OEM that's in direct competition with Motorola, LG, Sony, or HTC they have no incentive to make a product that enables people to buy anything other than a Samsung product.

Like you I wish they would have considered making it compatible with other OEM's so people like me wouldn't be so limited in our device choices. But Samsung is banking that their smartwatch is such a superior value over the other alternatives that people will buy into their ecosystem and thus not just sell watches, but more and more smartphones along the way.

It's a gamble on Samsung's part for sure, but with their resources they are probably the only OEM that could afford such a gamble.

Sony makes a respectable smartwatch, compatible with with other Android devices, but without the resources and marketing power of Samsung the product has never, and never will, gain mainstream acceptance.

If the other OEM's could do what Samsung is doing I believe they would try it also.

Manufacturers make products, not out of the goodness of their heart, but what they believe will sell and increase their market share.

I dislike that my other devices have been rendered useless as of this point, but unless an OEM makes a smartwatch better than the Gear then I'm sticking, at least for now, with what I have.

You are absolutely correct, Samsung has no incentive to make their accessories work with a competitors product and honestly I don't see why they should. If it was my company I would want my customers buying my higher profit products and get the lower profit accessories along with it. They make $400-500 on a SMARTphone and what maybe $150 or so on the smartwatch. So really where is the incentive for them.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it makes sense from a business perspective on Samsung's part. As an OEM that's in direct competition with Motorola, LG, Sony, or HTC they have no incentive to make a product that enables people to buy anything other than a Samsung product.

Like you I wish they would have considered making it compatible with other OEM's so people like me wouldn't be so limited in our device choices. But Samsung is banking that their smartwatch is such a superior value over the other alternatives that people will buy into their ecosystem and thus not just sell watches, but more and more smartphones along the way.

It's a gamble on Samsung's part for sure, but with their resources they are probably the only OEM that could afford such a gamble.

Sony makes a respectable smartwatch, compatible with with other Android devices, but without the resources and marketing power of Samsung the product has never, and never will, gain mainstream acceptance.

If the other OEM's could do what Samsung is doing I believe they would try it also.

Manufacturers make products, not out of the goodness of their heart, but what they believe will sell and increase their market share.

I dislike that my other devices have been rendered useless as of this point, but unless an OEM makes a smartwatch better than the Gear then I'm sticking, at least for now, with what I have.

You are absolutely correct, Samsung has no incentive to make their accessories work with a competitors product and honestly I don't see why they should. If it was my company I would want my customers buying my higher profit products and get the lower profit accessories along with it. They make $400-500 on a SMARTphone and what maybe $150 or so on the smartwatch. So really where is the incentive for them.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Me either but I see no reason why those same features in as yet to be announced Gear 2 could not be brought to this Gear via software update. Happy with my purchase.

I'm waiting for the Gear 2 mainly because of potential improvements to it's battery life.

That said, if you're happy with your purchase, I can't stop you from enjoying it. ;)

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
So today I was busying myself around the kitchen fixing lunch for my kiddos. My wife had left earlier and was out running errands. She called to let me know she forgot something and needed to come back the house. Without any need to run and grab to pick up my phone when it rang, which was located in the living room, I was able to take her call and never stop what I was doing.

The GG continues to be the ultimate companion device for my GN3. 💃

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
So today I was busying myself around the kitchen fixing lunch for my kiddos. My wife had left earlier and was out running errands. She called to let me know she forgot something and needed to come back the house. Without any need to run and grab to pick up my phone when it rang, which was located in the living room, I was able to take her call and never stop what I was doing.

Received mine yesterday and I have to agree with everything DAS has been saying regarding the GG. So far.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Received mine yesterday and I have to agree with everything DAS has been saying regarding the GG. So far.

If you feel the same way after a week or two then it's a winner for you. It's very novel at first but that wears off for some.

from my '14 Note 10.1

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
If you feel the same way after a week or two then it's a winner for you. It's very novel at first but that wears off for some.

from my '14 Note 10.1

Yea, you're right. But after reading all the posts from people that really like their Galaxy Gear, I would safely say it's a winner. :thumbup::cool:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

DAS, I know you already know it, but I just want to say, that you are super cool!! (in a manly way) :D

When I grow up(I am 73), I wanna be just like you... :D

Enjoying my Note 3 and GG greatly, even though I am just fumbling around with them, they are super cool.. :) The way I look at it, the "cool" is worth the price.. :D:cool:

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow with all this reviews I want to buy mine, but im really dont want to spend 300$ what a decision I have to make wow !!!!!

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app