What does "Device Management is running" mean?

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually I just looked under software information and apparently a download failed yesterday, so I restarted the phone and it's downloading a 600MB file which I'm assuming is KitKat? It's taking forever though.

congrats!

could very well be..

another thing just occurred to me.

if that update doesn't solve it, try clearing the cache/data of your google settings app. you will find it in settings > app

be sure to uncheck ADM beforehand.

jaspergretsch

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
congrats!

could very well be..

another thing just occurred to me.

if that update doesn't solve it, try clearing the cache/data of your google settings app. you will find it in settings > app

be sure to uncheck ADM beforehand.

I only see Google Play Services in Apps. Is that it? I don't see the Google Settings under apps.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
you are right... the app must be dependent on google play services.

ya try deleting the cache on that app if the update still presents that problem. don't worry, nothing bad can come from it.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
after all is said and done though, you really want to enable ADM on your htc one.

its the only way to track it if it gets misplaced or stolen... unless you use a third-party app of course.

jaspergretsch

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting annoyed.. The download keeps failing and I keep restarting it and it keeps failing. One time it was finished or so I thought and I got another prompt download the update. They say it will take 30 minutes, but it's CRAWLING and I'm on wifi.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Weird. All I can suggest is take your time be patient don't let your phone sleep preferably

It's tedious baby sitting it through an update but I've already read some horror stories from people who managed to screw up.

It's a huge and important update so give it due attention.

Posted via Android Central App

jaspergretsch

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Weird. All I can suggest is take your time be patient don't let your phone sleep preferably

It's tedious baby sitting it through an update but I've already read some horror stories from people who managed to screw up.

It's a huge and important update so give it due attention.

Yeah I've turned the screen timeout off.

I'm hoping the update fixes the pink tint issue with camera though I'm not holding my breath.

jaspergretsch

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
It failed again. It gets to the end, my screen shuts off even though I tell it not to, I restart my phone and it says that the download failed. Now I can't get the prompt to come back.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
It failed again. It gets to the end, my screen shuts off even though I tell it not to, I restart my phone and it says that the download failed. Now I can't get the prompt to come back.

At this point I would prepare myself for a factory reset.

Would have been a good idea to do it after the update anyway to remove any leftovers from JB so might as well do it now as you are having problems with the update.

I've read people having issues like yours before and they all occur because of one attempt that goes bad because the phone slept or they lost connection mid way etc.

You know what to do now.

jaspergretsch

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
It's updated. I went to restart the phone and it started the system update from the boot. The device management notification is finally gone.

The camera isn't fixed, which I suspected. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with that. I can't be without a phone for a week to exchange it.

Thanks for your help!

At this point I would prepare myself for a factory reset.

Would have been a good idea to do it after the update anyway to remove any leftovers from JB so might as well do it now as you are having problems with the update.

I've read people having issues like yours before and they all occur because of one attempt that goes bad because the phone slept or they lost connection mid way etc.

You know what to do now.

nkrdbl80

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the HTC One (M8) on 4.4.2 on AT&T and the "Device Management is r..." won't go away. I've hard reset and regular reset a few times. The icon goes away but then comes right back. I've tried the AT&T Software Update and it won't even register that I pressed it the screen. Is there an update coming or something? I've also Force Stopped the process and that did nothing. Any help would be appreciated!

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
My M8 just started doing this. It was downloading an AT&T system update in the background, and the only evidence of this was the device manager icon in the menu bar and the notification message "device manager is running" in the notification center. There isn't any way to disable the icon as far as I can tell; you just have to let the download happen at which point you'll be notified there is a new update available to install. It would have been nice if there was a better description of what was happening or a progress bar, but no. Just the icon and the "device manager is running" message.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Me as well. I have no idea what triggered it, a hard reboot (power off and boot up) did not help. I had to force stop it (really didn't want to do that) and am still trying to figure out why it happened. I had no update sent to me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Jim Murray 1234

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Greeting fellow Android and HTC users...

I have a HTC M8 and noticed that " Device Management is running" is displaying in my notification area beginning today (May 15, 2014). As of last evening when I plugged in for a charge, this message was not showing. I have read about this issue on several other forums and at this point there does not seem to be a fix. I've shut down, rebooted and tried to disable the Google Settings, with on impact. Apparently, there is a software issue with Google or some other App. While something is defiantly running, it does not seem to be effecting the battery. Hopefully Google will get a fix quickly....it's does not seem harmful, but a pain just the same.

jgmhunter

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Jim,

Mine did the same thing this morning. Make sure your WiFi is on and you are connected to a network. Once I got to my office it finally did a software update and now the notification is gone.

Jim Murray 1234

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I didn't read jgmhunter's post until late yesterday...by chance I was at my local AT&T Store to see what they knew about this issue. Needless to say, they didn't have a clue. They were helpful, but didn't know how to resolve the problem. However, taking jgmhunter's suggestion, when I arrived home I turned on my WiFi and connected. I did not see any software update, but Apps that must have gotten "stuck" during download/install began to download and install, I believe there was a total of three. One was Twitter (which I don't use...I don't even have a Twitter account). Once this happened, the icon in the notification area disappeared and has not returned. Thanks to everyone, especially jgmhunter. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali