What happens if I update while rooted?

Eyedea28

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I came from WebOS and don't know much about Android rooting. Anyways, I rooted my phone last week and I like everything, but I kinda want to do the over the air update to see how the phone runs "stock". I don't mind if I lose my ability to root because I'm sure there will be a way pretty soon to root while having this new update applied. My question is, if I do the over the air update, will it just rewrite everything I did when I rooted? Will my phone still work or am I taking a chance that the phone might be bricked?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If the root hole was patched then you could loose root. It's generally advised that you don't update and wait for a ROM based on the new update.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Eyedea28

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so if I accept the update, my phone will lose root and "be like" everyone else's phones who haven't rooted? Is that the worst case scenario cause that is what I am trying to achieve.

Eyedea28

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Why not return to stock first and then update, if that's what you want?

I might just do that thank you. I was wondering if the update would do the same cause it would be easier. I don't have a computer so if i were to try that method i would have to write all the steps down. Had a long week and I'm lazy at the moment but I probably will man up tomorrow and try it out. Thanks to all that replied.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You could also just flash the rooted stock ROM if you are already rooted. That's what I did. Using TWRP, wiped davlik cache and flashed. Got the best of both worlds :D

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I might just do that thank you. I was wondering if the update would do the same cause it would be easier. I don't have a computer so if i were to try that method i would have to write all the steps down. Had a long week and I'm lazy at the moment but I probably will man up tomorrow and try it out. Thanks to all that replied.

The worst that can happen by accepting the update is a stock, non-rooted phone. That's if HTC patched the exploit -- in most cases they do.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I did this method and it worked like a charm. I used the android-info.txt file from TWR zip and the recovery-signed.img from the stock rom. I packed them up and followed the instructions and everything worked. Now, I am still rooted, s-off (weird thing is that it says ***locked*** at the top of my bootloader instead of revolutionary but I still got root access so I don't think it matters since I still have s-off. I guess when it updated the bootloader to 1.50 this was the result), with the most up to date stuff. The only hiccup that I had was that it took about 4-5 times to install the su zip once I had flashed TWR and was trying to install if through recovery mode. It eventually took and once I rebooted my phone, I still had root access and all my root programs worked just fine. Just my two cents and I would attempt at your own risk.

GORILLA77047

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Please Help

I have an HTC evo3d that i rooted with revolutionary s-off. I havent touched anything else i just have root. Can I do the OTA update of 2.08.651.2 and not mess up my phone I am new to this android community and I was wanting to know if this is possible. Thanks for any assistance.

SirWill

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Please Help

I have an HTC evo3d that i rooted with revolutionary s-off. I havent touched anything else i just have root. Can I do the OTA update of 2.08.651.2 and not mess up my phone I am new to this android community and I was wanting to know if this is possible. Thanks for any assistance.

First flash a recovery ROM. Preferably Team Win Recovery

Then install this pre-rooted ROM.

This will take care of you, allowing you to keep your S-Off how it is. Of course, you could also choose to install the Cleanrom 2.2 It will update you to the latest and is a nice great rom with sense 3.0 still on it.

casiouser

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Not sure revolution supports the new update. When i try to root is says i have hboot 1.5 and won't let me do it.

Sent from my EVO 3D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac