what happens if i upgrade my DInc to a Charge on July 9th?

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Please no guesses or assumptions...just answer if you know the answer...
What happens if you upgrade from one smartphone with a 3G plan to a 4G phone after July 8th (let's say..on July 9th)?

I'm getting mixed answers... some websites make it sound like you are fine, as long as you already have a data package. Some are just way too vague... does anyone know?

Anderain

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Please no guesses or assumptions...just answer if you know the answer...
What happens if you upgrade from one smartphone with a 3G plan to a 4G phone after July 8th (let's say..on July 9th)?

I'm getting mixed answers... some websites make it sound like you are fine, as long as you already have a data package. Some are just way too vague... does anyone know?

Verizon confirms tiered data plans and hot-spot charge for July 7 | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

You should be grandfathered in with your unlimited for any upgrades. Third paragraph:
As expected, existing customers will be grandfathered in with the $30 unlimited plan, even with future handset upgrades...

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
still sounds risky to me... are they saying you can get a discounted price on a phone, and thus renew your contract, and still keep the unlimited?

Does "future handset upgrade" mean you have to upgrade by paying full retail price?

It's too vague for my liking...

Anderain

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I think people are reading too deep into this. Everybody (at least everyone that posted on these forums) thought that upgrades and contract renewals would not receive the unlimited data that package that we all currently have. It turns out, that for the time being, they will. Try this when you go to get your new phone after tomorrow:

You: Even though its after the 7th, I am still grandfathered in with the unlimited data right?
Rep: Yes.

anaphora68

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Seriously?
I'd trust people on these forums over a Verizon employee...let alone a rep from India with a book of common phrases to repeat.

Seriously? If you want 100% accurate information, you have to go straight to the source. That's all I'm saying. No need to get your knickers in a twist. Your first post says if you don't know, don't answer. Now you start asking for anyone and everyone to chime in. All anyone on these forums is working off of are posts on gadget blogs, or second hand information.

According to everything posted online, if you upgrade a device on a line that already has unlimited data, or otherwise add a device to a line that has unlimited data, you will still have unlimited data. That is according to every, single reputable source online. Past that, you're not going to get anything new.

Zumaone

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry for my paranoia... its just hard to trust anything Verizon says, ya know?
My question is why wait until the 9th? If your going to upgrade to a new phone and are close, they will usually allow you to do so early. Why risk it if you don't have to?

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm due today for my upgrade...
And now that I've waited this long, I'm tempted to just make due a little longer to see what comes out next, lol. :)

Daemonax

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm due today for my upgrade...
And now that I've waited this long, I'm tempted to just make due a little longer to see what comes out next, lol. :)
VZW will do what they have always done. They will honor your current plan indefinitely. However, if you change plans, like to take advantage of a feature like Friends & Family or to go to a family share plan, you will then be subject to the new restrictions. These are just examples, but that's how they do it. They add a feature that is only compatible/available with certain plans, thereby encouraging you to switch. They've done that with hardware as well, saying certain handsets are only compatible with certain plans.

fundragon

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
They've done that with hardware as well, saying certain handsets are only compatible with certain plans.

True. When the Thunderbolt first came out, it was listed as incompatible with my old Surewest voice plan. A month later, it was compatible (and available for me to upgrade while keeping the same voice plan). If memory serves, the Charge was compatible as soon as it was released.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej