What is eating up so much storage?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

In shortcut. Something is taking too much space. How can i get information about what could it be?

Well i have Samsung A20e with Android 9.
Which has 16 GB internal storage.
I have additional 16 GB SD card. Everything is stored in this SD card except apps that cannot be moved to SD card.

Storage information says:
System/ user data: 15.7 GB
Available space: 358 MB

And now, what is interesting, the so called "user data":
Documents: 266 KB
Videos: 224 MB
Audio: 26 MB
Applications: 1.8 GB
Installation files: 222 MB
Other: 15.17 GB???

What is that other? Well, obviously it's the system, but i don't think system is so big.

How can i get more information on this "Other" data?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

XYZT

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try DiskUsage to get a better idea of what's taking up storage.

Do you use Kik Messenger? A forum member recently discovered that it can build up an enormous cache.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Thanks for reply. I downloaded DiskUsage and tried that, root folder was ok and eve emulated/0 storage was ok. Only thing i found was a lot of linked files, which is just linked files, not real storage eating files.

So i think this needs to be software issue, so i am just gonna backup my files and with really happy face i am just gonna do a factory reset.
I will then do a compare of folder structure before and after factory reset and i will see what was the problem.

System uses about 7 to 8 gb then rest is you with apps, picture, video,files ..16gb can be used up pretty fast , go over your apps and stuff you download.

Thanks for reply, but i need to ask if you read it completely. Everything i download and apps that can be moved to SD card is stored in external SD card. No connection to internal storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Everything i download and apps that can be moved to SD card is stored in external SD card

That may be the case, but since Samsung doesn't support Adoptable Storage, moving an app to SD only moves a portion of the app (and sometimes only a very small portion), so apps can fill up Internal Storage pretty quickly. That being said, your issue is somewhat common on this forum, and the explanation isn't always clear. You could try clearing the dumpstate logcat: https://www.technobezz.com/insufficient-storage-available-error-on-android/

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for reply. I downloaded DiskUsage and tried that, root folder was ok and eve emulated/0 storage was ok. Only thing i found was a lot of linked files, which is just linked files, not real storage eating files.

So i think this needs to be software issue, so i am just gonna backup my files and with really happy face i am just gonna do a factory reset.
I will then do a compare of folder structure before and after factory reset and i will see what was the problem.

Thanks for reply, but i need to ask if you read it completely. Everything i download and apps that can be moved to SD card is stored in external SD card. No connection to internal storage.
Hi, welcome !

Yes I did read everything, and not all app data can be stored to sd card , how many apps you downloaded to the phone?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
About 38. In most cases app are lightweight. Like IDEs (python, js), file managers etc. only one big app is Messeger, but i know that it's demanding app.
Yeah not lot of apps , the only thing I can say since you made it adoptable storage either that sd card causing system confusion as its known to do that and why its highly against using as internal storage .

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Try clearing the system cache first; this causes no damage and can solve knurly issues sometimes.

For unrooted phones I'd give SD Maid a shot at it.
Free version, nothing to lose.
It's removed stubborn remnants I couldn't (as well as other cleaning apps) remove without a laptop.
Never had this app damage data or OS but watch your settings...

McNuttyNorwood2016

Oct 9, 2021
Visit site
I have the same issue! My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A20. I've had it for about 10 months now. And for about 6 months of that time, I have "other" in storage taking up three quarters of my storage. I cant upload anything on my phone because it says I have no room. There is nothing to disable or uninstall on my phone. No videos, no pictures, no saved audio, no files, no down loads. Not even any downloaded apps.and the SD card I have is also empty. I used to save apps and everything else on the SD card.but since the files app has been notifying me everyday, I've removed and backed up and transferred everything off of it also. So now I'm trying to download SDMaid to help and unable too. I literally will go thru every single app, system and all, and clear cache, and go to download SDmaid from google play store, and already it's full again. Going from having a little over 1GB of storage free to being at 31.8 out of 32 GB. Right now it says I have 2% of storage and I'm at critical. Sometimes I wont be able to use my email due to storage so full. Also any file or picture and sometimes plain text messages on phones message app wont go through. Calls don't come in. Every once in awhile I'm unable to make call for a minute. And things I've set in settings are randomly going back to the previous setting. I'm terrified of doing a factory reset! Last phone I did that with, even though I backed up everything and added extra security by transferring everything and unmointing my SD.. i lost everything and my last phone got worse and worse. I've searched everything on this! Called samsung support (they dont care if you have a problem). I cant find anything on this issue! I really cant afford to buy a new phone. Especially with this pandemic and unemployed crap happening. Yet I NEED this phone to find a job, keep in contact with family, and everything else. I never downloaded too many apps. At most I had a total of like 10 apps I downloadad from google play. And barely any files, audio, pics, or videos. So what do I do? I would really appreciate if someone has an answer for me. And if there is a way to fix this... please dumb it down for me and put it in a step by step format. Lol. I can be good at this tech stuff, but still a dummy too. Thank you for helping in advance. Dee

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using any social media apps or 3rd party messaging apps (like Telegram or kik)? Those apps can sometimes build up an enormous amount of data.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000