What would be a deal breaker for you in getting the Galaxy S6?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
in order of importance:

1 must still use Micro SIM cards (no other sizes)
2 must have MicroSDXC card slot
3 must have removable battery
4- must have bigger screen then current S5(even if slightly)
5 must run faster than iPhone 6
6 must have better camera than iPhone 6
7 must have cheaper price(I bought my Galaxy S5 three week after release for only $0... $49 minus Best Buy gift card)
My iPhone 6+ looks at this and is flattered.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I would like a 64gb internal, slicker design and finish while keeping all the buttons and a slightly bigger, high ppi screen.
I don't need an sd slot, and I think it leads to problems, but at this stage I'm sure it will have one (I haven't been looking).

I may not get the Note 4 before then, so this would be in the running.

Camera - meh, I'm not fussy; the Note 3 is fine.
Good landscape speakers would be nice.
They can at least put a 3200 battery in it now, the Edge has a small one.

Deal breakers for me: must have dark settings option by then, and a Touchwiz menu that I like. Note 3 was fine, S5 on 4.4 was new and exciting.
With a Moto G back up, close to vanilla android is not for me.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
For me no SD card support may be a deal breaker unless they offer 64 gig for the base model price. And I would love to see a quicker camera with less shutter time especially in poor lighting, I also would want to see less bezel as crazy as this sounds too much bezel may be a deal breaker lol

Posted via the Android Central App

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I've seen so many complaints about TouchWiz. What is TouchWiz? I've been using samsung phones for years and installed Nova Luncher immediately after I received the phone.
I still love my note 3. Tried note 4, not much improvement from note 3 so I went back to my die hard note 3.
Will see how the S6 turn out to be.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I've seen so many complaints about TouchWiz. What is TouchWiz? I've been using samsung phones for years and installed Nova Luncher immediately after I received the phone.
I still love my note 3. Tried note 4, not much improvement from note 3 so I went back to my die hard note 3.

same here... I really don't understand why people complain about TouchWiz.

I've never used it. Always installed Nova Launcher as soon as I receive new smartphones. (Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Note 3, and now S5) In fact, Nova makes all of my Samsung phones feel the same. :)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Same here, I immediately install Nova and its perfect...people act like they are forced to use Touchwiz

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
But Nova is just a launcher. TouchWiz is still all over the place in the top pull down panel, the messed up Settings area, and a bunch of other locations. Samsung forced their turquoise (and now light turquoise) color and icon scheme all over the place with TouchWiz. Using a different launcher does help a lot but it doesn't get rid of TouchWiz.

For me, there are two deal breakers:
1. It needs to have microSD card support. I will never, ever go back to a phone with a fixed storage capacity and no expansion options. We aren't stuck in 2006 anymore and the model of having fixed capacity phones (like what Motorola, Google, and Apple do) is nothing more than a way for them to squeeze more money out of consumers. Want a 64GB phone? Well, you could buy a $25 memory card or spend an extra $200 on the phone itself (twice as much as a 128GB microSD card).

2. TouchWiz being front and center. There are rumors that TouchWiz is going to be dialed back and even Samsung hinted at that being a possibility. I would buy another Samsung phone if TouchWiz was drastically scaled back. I almost picked up a Note Edge this past weekend but TouchWiz pretty much has to be used with that and the phone was stuttering. A flagship phone with 3GB of RAM shouldn't stutter when swiping from screen to screen. That's why I would never buy an S6 with a curved edge display. Either way, TouchWiz needs to be scaled back.

I will jump ship to LG (with the Flex 2) or HTC (hopefully with the rumored 5.5" One M9 Max) if Samsung backs out on either of those. I enjoy my S5 but it isn't perfect and Samsung didn't do that well of a job with Android 5.0. Sure, my phone runs faster but the battery life has taken a hit the last few days (I refuse to factory reset it, I shouldn't have to), the TouchWiz launcher is still a resource hog, and Verizon/Samsung still haven't fixed Bluetooth audio issues.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung phones perform quite well with Nova as the launcher and the disabling of Google and carrier bloat. Crap like Street View, Hangouts, and Drive affect performance too (One person's manna from heaven is another person's crap). I've had the S3, S4, S5, and all the Notes except the original. They've all worked smoothly with this approach. I've also had the Nexus 5 and 6 and they didn't seem any smoother than their Samsung contemporaries.

As far as the look of TW? Looks better than stock Android to me.

• from the 🍎 i6+ •

Senden

May 31, 2011
Visit site
After reading some of the replies here, I went and gave Nova a try and wow, I can't believe it's taken me this long.. on my S4 everything runs so much faster with that as the launcher.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
After reading some of the replies here, I went and gave Nova a try and wow, I can't believe it's taken me this long.. on my S4 everything runs so much faster with that as the launcher.

You can really do a lot or just a little with Nova. I Iove that you can create a complete configuration with icon packs and arrangements and save that and then completely change things up and easily restore your original if you want. You can have totally different look every hour or every day once you do the initial config. Nova really is sliq.

• from the 🍎 i6+ •

pwaikon

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
One thing and one thing only: nano SIM

I'm a mobile phone hobbyist and so like to own and use many different phones. ALL my phones that I currently own have Micro SIM and so my upcoming phones has to have Micro SIM. I'm NOT gonna start playing with SIM-card adapters when I feel like I wanna switch phones ya know?

I had iPhone 4 and I thought about getting a new iPhone but now that the new iPhone 6's have nano sim I'm not gonna get one. Simple as that. So, if the SGS6 has Micro SIM I may buy it (depends on the other specs too). I think my choice is between SGS6 or Note 4 as my next phone :)

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
You (and many others it seems) are not clear on what Nova is or isn't . It is NOT a replacement for TW, it's just another skin over it. It does not take TW out of the loop, it just refines the end user experience in certain graphics/layout areas. The entire phone's OS is still TW even after you've installed Nova. TW is and will remain the cause of Samsung phone's horrible lagging problems until they (e.g. Samsung) strip it down or completely eliminate it. BTW, I use Nova as well but PLEASE, be under no illussions, it most certainly does not take TW out of the system. In fact, because it's really just another layer on top of it, it probably slows the phone even more.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
You're deluding yourself. See my post above.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You (and many others it seems) are not clear on what Nova is or isn't . It is NOT a replacement for TW, it's just another skin over it. It does not take TW out of the loop, it just refines the end user experience in certain graphics/layout areas. The entire phone's OS is still TW even after you've installed Nova. TW is and will remain the cause of Samsung phone's horrible lagging problems until they (e.g. Samsung) strip it down or completely eliminate it. BTW, I use Nova as well but PLEASE, be under no illussions, it most certainly does not take TW out of the system. In fact, because it's really just another layer on top of it, it probably slows the phone even more.
In my thinking it must be the TouchWiz launcher that causes the TouchWiz performance issues that some speak of. I've replaced that launcher with Nova Prime and I have no performance issues. At all, at least not compared to a Nexus 6 and Nexus 5, IME.

from the 🔪 Edge📱

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
It is the TouchWiz launcher that causes performance issues. Even now, with Android 5.0, it stutters when swiping from screen to screen. I had to widgets up and running two: a large Google Play Music widget and a smaller Google Calendar widget. It stutters when going from different home screens, pauses before it pulls up all of my apps, etc. I switched to the Google Now launcher and it is much, much faster. No stutters when switching between home screens (and I have even more active widgets), it instantly pulls up all of my apps, etc. PsychDoc is a little off with their assessment of what a launcher does. Launchers run independently of one another so Nova just isn't a skin applied over the TouchWiz launcher, it is a launcher all in its own. That's why the performance of Samsung devices often drastically improves whenever a new launcher is installed. Things would be much worse if launchers were just skins on top of the TouchWiz launcher.

As for disabling Google's "bloatware," I can disable some content but not others. I have to use either Messages or Hangouts for texting (those are the only two that push texts to my Moto 360 while allowing me to directly reply in them), Samsung's e-mail app is a bigger resource hog than Gmail so I'm not getting rid of that (and it looks like a mobile version of Lotus Notes from 1999), and everything else Google related isn't taxing my battery.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Samsung makes great hardware. Their flagship devices feature the latest tech (for their time), are solidly built, and can offer great performance. The S5 was truly a beast when it came out and can still keep up with more modern phones (in some areas) like the iPhone 6 Plus. It really is a testament that a phone released almost a year ago can keep up with one released a couple of months back. But their software is atrocious, to say the least. It's the same with my Samsung plasma. It produces stellar picture quality rivaled only by high end sets that cost $3000+ (it only cost me $750), the 3D picture quality is great, gaming on it has been a treat, but the software that the TV runs is buggy, slow, and has recently caused issues like making my TV randomly restart itself or randomly showing a popup saying that Smart Hub was upgraded. Spectacular hardware that holds up almost 3 years after I purchased it but the software is terrible.

Senden

May 31, 2011
Visit site
You're deluding yourself. See my post above.

Well when my applications load up noticeably faster, how is that deluding myself? Almost everything I've tried so far has loaded up faster since moving to Nova Launcher. It's hardly turned it into a new phone but it has certainly improved the performance by a fair bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201