What's all the hullabaloo?

RonShosti

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm trying to decide between the Galaxy Note, the SIII and the upcoming Xperia Ion. To me, the SIII seems like a smaller Galaxy Note. I don't quite understand what has everyone so excited about it. The SIII has lots of nice software features, but if you look at the HW it is pretty much on par with the Xperia Ion which costs half as much and has a nicer camera.

Everyone seems to poo poo the Xperia and I'm not sure why... can someone explain? Sure it ships with gingerbread, but ICS is slated to be released for it.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
galaxy s 3
4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display (1280 x 720)
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Dimensions: 5.38 x 2.78 x 0.34 inches
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 1.5 GHz dual core CPU
Weight: 4.73 ounces
2GB RAM
16GB Internal storage
Up to 64GB expandable memory (microSD)
2100mAh battery
Bluetooth 4.0
MicroUSB
4G LTE / HSPA+
8MP Camera w/ LED Flash (4x zoom)
1.9MP Front-facing camera
S Beam capable

Xperia Ion
1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S3 CPU
4.6" 720p HD Reality Display
12MP camera 1080p HD video recording,
1 MP 720p HD front-facing camera
16GB internal memory with microSD™
expansion slot supports up to 32GB
Android 2.3 gingerbread OS
1GB of RAM

galaxy s3 = newer more robust tech with the exception of possibly the camera

Reactions: RonShosti

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Sony's Android history is pretty crummy. I wouldn't buy a Sony phone for another generation to make sure they actually know what they're doing.

cruiserandmax

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
12MP camera 1080p HD video recording,

galaxy s3 = newer more robust tech with the exception of possibly the camera

Is this assumption just based in higher MP on he Sony? You know if it is just higher pixel density with the same overal physical sensor size, then the Sony is going to be a lot worse shooting in low light.. Not a benefit at all IMO.

[edit] woops, didn't read to the last post. +1 to AZSALUKI!

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Is this assumption just based in higher MP on he Sony? You know if it is just higher pixel density with the same overal physical sensor size, then the Sony is going to be a lot worse shooting in low light.. Not a benefit at all IMO.

[edit] woops, didn't read to the last post. +1 to AZSALUKI!

I know this,...that's why I said "possibly" the camera. But no one has tested the cameras against each other that I know of...

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
You do have choices sir.. that's for sure. :) It's not what's the right phone for us, it's what's the right phone for "you"...After you get use to the "Parlor Tricks" and its just another phone what are your needs?

RonShosti

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Right, these phones have plenty of parlor tricks. But when you get down to it (ignoring Gingerbread and ICS and the camera), they are pretty similar spec-wise.

I still don't get why the SIII is generating so much attention. The OneX, Xperia and the Note and even the skyrocket are very similar specwise. My only guess is that Samsung has just been successful in marketing an incrementally better phone in the same way Apple was able to push the 4S over the 4.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the Xperia ion, although I'm sure the Galaxy S III will be real nice. And yeah, Samsung has gotten alot better with their marketing.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
You will see what all the Hellabaloo is in a couple months when all the accessories are out on the market for the S3. It's going to be crazy what will be available for this phone with it being Internationally all the same.

That Ion won't have any accessories available for it.

That would be my biggest game changer...and that is why alot of people buy the iPhone!

astoriacub

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You will see what all the Hellabaloo is in a couple months when all the accessories are out on the market for the S3. It's going to be crazy what will be available for this phone with it being Internationally all the same.

That Ion won't have any accessories available for it.

That would be my biggest game changer...and that is why alot of people buy the iPhone!

not to mention the amount of ROM's that will be available because there are only two types of SoC's being used. The rooting community will go nuts on these devices.

astoriacub

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The fact that the phone is launching with gingerbread, announced over 18 months ago,and a last gen SoC, should tell you all you need to know. I personally wouldn't consider the Ion. Sounds like a hot mess to me. Since you are probably going to be locking yourself into a 2 year contract I would look for a phone that is as future proof as possible and I don't see that in the Ion. If you're on AT&T consider the HOX or SG3.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's the next big thing. Specs be damned--that's why there's this frenzy. In 2 months another device will have the same frenzy and we'll be at this again :).

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

This is a very good point and something I haven't really even thought about....until now.

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think part of the reason there is so much hype is because it is being offered on 5 networks. Its not like any androids in the past. The same model on 5 networks. It will come closer to iPhone type volume of sales than any other android has. This happens to be the way I think a phone should be done. Offer every customer, regardless of network, and sales will soar.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claudio1986saavedra