When sending a text, how can I see if a contact's number is a mobile or work #?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just upgraded from an ancient S6 to an S9 & now when I search for a contact to set up a text itll show all the #s but not the category it was stored under (ie; mobile/work/home). In my old S6 you saw the category & this helped avoid sending texts to landlines accidently. How do I get this fixed on my new phone Ive already accidently sent to the wrong # multiple times & seems insane that this feature would be removed...Any help would be awesome - thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You could always save the numbers as 2 contacts - HJohn and WJohn. Then you'd be able to find which one you wanted. Or use a text app that open the contacts app to let you choose a particular number from a contact. Google Messages lists all the numbers for a contact.

noonan94

Dec 6, 2019
Visit site
This was my orig question & I just registered, thanks for the rec....

I do see when I open my contacts that the #s are saved under different categories...my issue is that when Im in the text app & tap to start a new text & then I put in a name, if that contact has 3 #s associated w it, it doesnt tell me which one is which. On my old S6, when Id search the text app for a contact, the results would show the name AND the category as to which #s were work/mobile/home so I wouldnt be sending texts to land lines by accident.

Is this a setting somewhere that I can switch back on? I cant imagine Im the only person who hasnt memorized whether or not a contact # is home or work or cell....Thanks in advance!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This was my orig question & I just registered, thanks for the rec....

I do see when I open my contacts that the #s are saved under different categories...my issue is that when Im in the text app & tap to start a new text & then I put in a name, if that contact has 3 #s associated w it, it doesnt tell me which one is which. On my old S6, when Id search the text app for a contact, the results would show the name AND the category as to which #s were work/mobile/home so I wouldnt be sending texts to land lines by accident.

Is this a setting somewhere that I can switch back on? I cant imagine Im the only person who hasnt memorized whether or not a contact # is home or work or cell....Thanks in advance!
I have multi numbers for Bob
When I try to send new message it list all numbers under Bob.

noonan94

Dec 6, 2019
Visit site
In that example, I agree that it will show all the #s stored under Bobs contact when I type in his name as the recipient.

My question is - how do I get it to tell me which # is stored as a mobile #, which is stored as a work #, etc?. These descriptions used to appear on my old device & you knew exactly which #s were mobile or landlines. Now I have no idea which is which & have unknowingly sent several txts to ppls work # by accident. I cannot imagine why this helpful info would be removed, theres got to be a way to see that from the text app screen right?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In that example, I agree that it will show all the #s stored under Bobs contact when I type in his name as the recipient.

My question is - how do I get it to tell me which # is stored as a mobile #, which is stored as a work #, etc?. These descriptions used to appear on my old device & you knew exactly which #s were mobile or landlines. Now I have no idea which is which & have unknowingly sent several txts to ppls work # by accident. I cannot imagine why this helpful info would be removed, theres got to be a way to see that from the text app screen right?
On mine using example bob , 3 numbers come up 1. Mobile
2.mobile
3.work

This has to be all set up through contact app next to each number what you choose for it . Now you saying it doesn't show up I would long press the message app tap info and clear data,cache and force stop it see if it corrects it if not try another message app like Google android message see if same thing .

noonan94

Dec 6, 2019
Visit site
According to the thread below from the Samsung forums, this issue has been talked about since last March - has anyone found a workaround in that time? The data cache clear didnt work unfortunately & it seems crazy that any "update", theoretically done for the greater good, would remove such helpful info that effects anyone that youd want to txt that happens to have more than 1 phone # saved on their contact...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...one-number-categories-when/td-p/533678/page/2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz