Where's the notification light on this thing?

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I had light flow installed and made my customization. Worked good. I uninstalled and all my changes still applied. I have a feeling that Google will add this option in future builds. Why? Because I thought that it would have reverted to just white but I still get multicolored notifications.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a quick question about Light Flow. Does it hijack full control of the LED? I have a few apps (go sms, K-9 mail, etc) that have their own color LED options. Will those app notifications still flash their colors?

For example, I have different colors assigned in K9 based on which email account has new mail. If I use LightFlow for gmail (since there's no color option in the gmail app), and there's new email from one of the accounts of which K9 handles, will the LED sequence through so that I see both colors? I am aware that I could just use LightFlow for K9 notifications (don't know if it supports separate email accts though), but I'm just using it as an example.

[edit]Better example... Just installed it, and see that GoSMS isn't supported. So in the above question, I'd like to ensure my GoSMS LED notifications will still function.

Last edited:

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I need to get LightFlow - i heard it drains battery/ runs in the background a lot?

They must have set something up wrong. It doesn't drain my battery any faster than it did without the phone. I made sure to use the phone normally for a few weeks before I downloaded Lightflow. Then I only used the free version for 2 days to test the battery drain before I purchased the full version. Been using it for around 2 weeks now and it works like a charm.

I have like 10 different notification types set up. Some (like G+ and GTalk notifications) are the same color, but pulse at a different frequency so that I know which is which), and others are just different colors (lime, green, orange, cyan, blue, red, white, etc).

Brandon

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a quick question about Light Flow. Does it hijack full control of the LED? I have a few apps (go sms, K-9 mail, etc) that have their own color LED options. Will those app notifications still flash their colors?

For example, I have different colors assigned in K9 based on which email account has new mail. If I use LightFlow for gmail (since there's no color option in the gmail app), and there's new email from one of the accounts of which K9 handles, will the LED sequence through so that I see both colors? I am aware that I could just use LightFlow for K9 notifications (don't know if it supports separate email accts though), but I'm just using it as an example.

[edit]Better example... Just installed it, and see that GoSMS isn't supported. So in the above question, I'd like to ensure my GoSMS LED notifications will still function.

I do believe it takes full control of the LED. There is a setting to make Lightflow control the LED. I have it checked off, and because of that I think it hijacks full control. So what I've done is set up Handcent (which used to control the LED) to only control the audio notifications, and Lightflow only controls the LED notifications.

There may be a way to change the way Lightflow is set up so that some apps can still have default control of the LED, but I haven't taken the time to test that part of it out.

Lastly, in my Lightflow App, it says that GoSMS is supported.

Brandon

mds54

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
....I found the settings in Light Flow bit complicated. It works well w/most alerts, not well with battery charging and status......

Okay....how are you guys getting Light Flow to work???
I've had Light Flow Lite for a few days now. I can't get it to work properly at all. I've seen one LED for a low battery, and one LED for a missed call. No LEDs at all for Gmails, texts, calendars, etc. All I get are tones, even at night, when I have it on sleep. Yes, I have the Settings Accessibility set to Light Flow ON.
Any help, please?

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay....how are you guys getting Light Flow to work???
I've had Light Flow Lite for a few days now. I can't get it to work properly at all. I've seen one LED for a low battery, and one LED for a missed call. No LEDs at all for Gmails, texts, calendars, etc. All I get are tones, even at night, when I have it on sleep. Yes, I have the Settings Accessibility set to Light Flow ON.
Any help, please?

Okay, you have Accessibility set up. Next is to make sure Light Flow is "enabled" under general settings. Next step is to go into each individual application type (Gmail, Facebook, Calendar, etc) and enable the LED Notification on each of them. You have to "enable notification" for each one as well as "enable light" for each one, and then set up the other parameters.

Brandon

Reactions: mds54

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
mds-

I know this will sound simple, but have you turned off and rebooted your phone? Lightflow can occasionally act a little funny with me and a reboot solves it.

All-

Also, could the battery issue come from the LED notifications blinking for long periods at a time and not from Lightflow? I know with BB that the LED would drain battery if left blinking for long periods of time.

mds54

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for my ignorance, but is a reboot on these phones anything more than a complete power off/on again?
If not, then I've done that too. I've yet to see a LED over the past few days, with several gmails, texts, and calls coming in.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for my ignorance, but is a reboot on these phones anything more than a complete power off/on again?
If not, then I've done that too. I've yet to see a LED over the past few days, with several gmails, texts, and calls coming in.

Can you download a LED light tester to make sure it's not defective? Wish I could help more but I can't really think of anything else it could be if it has accessibility. Did you download an update to the app or purchase the full version after using the lite version? The full version requires separate accessibility access over the lite version.

Brandon

mds54

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a light once, several days ago, so I know the LED works. I still have the Lite version since it doesn't seem to work. I've read every forum thread and review that I know of, and nothing has fixed the problem. I sit here sending myself gmail messages from a PC, and nothing at all happens with the phone while the screen is closed.

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a light once, several days ago, so I know the LED works. I still have the Lite version since it doesn't seem to work. I've read every forum thread and review that I know of, and nothing has fixed the problem. I sit here sending myself gmail messages from a PC, and nothing at all happens with the phone while the screen is closed.

The screen needs to be off for the LED to work. Do you leave your screen on when sending yourself gmails? There is also a test option at the end of each notification in lightflow. Have you tried testing the notifications you've set up in lightflow? When testing in light flow you will need to press the test button then quickly press the power button on the phone in order for the LED to come on.

mds54

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
^^^^^
The audible tests have always worked, but I didn't know about pushing test/power button at the same time to see the LED, so thanks for that!
Now I can see it in test mode for the first time.

Screen mode: Is there a difference between screen closed and screen off? (Is that as stupid as it sounds?)

UPDATE: Okay, screen off means power button pushed quickly (black screen), but not enough to power down phone, right?

Last edited:

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Totally drained the battery on mine. It was keeping the phone awake all the time. I uninstalled it and, oddly, the notification colors that I set in Lightflow have persisted. They don't stay on as long, but the colors at least distinguish the kind of notification for me. That was a pleasant surprise. :)

Same here. Ate a lot if battery, kept the system awake and when I uninstalled it kept my settings. Unless Facebook now uses a blue light.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
^^^^^
The audible tests have always worked, but I didn't know about pushing test/power button at the same time to see the LED, so thanks for that!
Now I can see it in test mode for the first time.

Screen mode: Is there a difference between screen closed and screen off? (Is that as stupid as it sounds?)

UPDATE: Okay, screen off means power button pushed quickly (black screen), but not enough to power down phone, right?

The screen being off and the screen being closed i think would be the same thing. pushing the power button just turns off the screen and locks the device (if you have a lock set) without turning the power off

morskie

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone this might be a silly question, but are there any common apps that flash green? I saw my Nex flashing green after a work meeting and there was an Evernote notification in the bar. Maybe I'm being a little obsessive, but I couldn't find anything on the internet confirming this.

Bears

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It lights up below the home button. Use an app like "light flow" to configure what colors you want to correspond to certain notifications. Its free and works great. Mine rarely lit up before using it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe