White bar above navigation buttons on home screen in Android 12

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi

I have a Samsung A52s 5G that has just updated to Android 12.

An annoying white bar now appears above the 3 navigation buttons (home, back etc.) at the bottom of the home screen.

How can I get rid of it?

It's not there on any other screens or when using apps, and it's not there initially after restart but then appears again after a few seconds.

I have tried switching off gesture options but the white bar remains.

I wouldn't mind so much if it performed a useful function, but I can't make it do anything at all, let alone anything useful. All it seems to do is unnecessarily clutter what was a clean simple home screen.

Any advice gratefully received, many thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

GenGi100

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
Many thanks for the reply, I've now signed up.

I've searched through every menu I can think of and can't immediately find anything that removes it 🤷

I've attached an image which shows what I'm talking about, circled in red. This white bar wasn't there on this phone with Android 11, so I'm at a bit of a loss about why it's there now and what it's for...

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220201-202458_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220201-202458_One UI Home.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

GenGi100

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for that. Tried those - changing wallpaper made no difference, but using safe mode did make it go away. Hmm. Daft question coming: what does that tell me? That it's being caused by one of my downloaded apps? If so, how do I work that through? Many thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Special Access>Appear On Top, then see if there are any 3rd party apps that have it turned on that might be culprits.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for that. Tried those - changing wallpaper made no difference, but using safe mode did make it go away. Hmm. Daft question coming: what does that tell me? That it's being caused by one of my downloaded apps? If so, how do I work that through? Many thanks again.
Yeah uninstall couple at a time , any recent ones ?

GenGi100

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. Tried the Access on Top approach, many had it switched on but turning them all off didn't seem to work. Tried uninstalling a few recent apps but again didn't make a difference. In the end I did a complete factory reset which cleared the bar, and am now reinstalling apps one by one with fingers crossed - so far so good.... Thanks again for all your help!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. Tried the Access on Top approach, many had it switched on but turning them all off didn't seem to work. Tried uninstalling a few recent apps but again didn't make a difference. In the end I did a complete factory reset which cleared the bar, and am now reinstalling apps one by one with fingers crossed - so far so good.... Thanks again for all your help!
Awesome glad to hear that

whyamihere22

Mar 17, 2022
Visit site
Solution!
Guys i had the same problem with S21+
At first i thought that is a software bug or that I by mistake did something in settings. After checking everything over and over I found the cause of that white bar.
Samsung Pay. That is the error. I was swipping over it and it opened that app. After setting up Samsung Pay that bar just vanished. Try it out and i hope this is usefull for you too.
I made this account just to reply to this. Good luck!