Whitestone Dome and poor Finger Print Sensitivity

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I finally received my Whitestone Dome screen protectors for 2 Note 10+ phones (I paid for 2-day shipping, and they shipped it slow-mail - it took 7 days to get here!).

After installing, it looks great, but I have to say that I'm less-than-happy with the finger-print sensitivity. I deleted my finger prints before installing and toggled the screen sensitivity to "high" per the instructions.

After installation, I couldn't at first register a fingerprint until I realized that I had to press real hard and hold it there. Registering fingerprints before the screen protector was really simple, and I barely had to touch my finger to the screen to recognize it.

Now, I have to press real hard, and the finger has to be exactly in the right place. Everything else seems to be working fine - the sPen works as before, as does normal screen touch-sensitivity.

I can't say that the fault is that of the Whitestone Dome screen protector - I suspect that any screen protector will be an issue.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I finally received my Whitestone Dome screen protectors for 2 Note 10+ phones (I paid for 2-day shipping, and they shipped it slow-mail - it took 7 days to get here!).

After installing, it looks great, but I have to say that I'm less-than-happy with the finger-print sensitivity. I deleted my finger prints before installing and toggled the screen sensitivity to "high" per the instructions.

After installation, I couldn't at first register a fingerprint until I realized that I had to press real hard and hold it there. Registering fingerprints before the screen protector was really simple, and I barely had to touch my finger to the screen to recognize it.

Now, I have to press real hard, and the finger has to be exactly in the right place. Everything else seems to be working fine - the sPen works as before, as does normal screen touch-sensitivity.

I can't say that the fault is that of the Whitestone Dome screen protector - I suspect that any screen protector will be an issue.
I'm using a different brand temporarily and the FPS is fine. I also have no issues with the WD on my S10+ and don't expect any difference on the Note

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I've just noticed a slight delay with the fingerprint but not much to make me not want the protection. I was one of those people who never used a screen protector ever before my last N9. Then somehow my screen got scratched in such a way it was the only thing I ever saw when I looked at it.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Same - I do agree that I do get an occasional error (but today I didn't really get many - maybe it gets better as it continues to cure?) but it seems temperamental. Sometimes it goes relatively fast and then sometimes I have to do it 3 times. Still not enough to bother me against the protection. I love how it feels and am very satisfied.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Same - I do agree that I do get an occasional error (but today I didn't really get many - maybe it gets better as it continues to cure?) but it seems temperamental. Sometimes it goes relatively fast and then sometimes I have to do it 3 times. Still not enough to bother me against the protection. I love how it feels and am very satisfied.

I'll wait a little longer. But I just tried to register 2 more fingerprints, and it took about 20 tries to get the first one to get accepted. Once the first one was ok, the remaining 10 tries (until it reaches 100%) went reasonably quick. But, testing with Samsung Pay and AMEX, it took about 5 or 6 tries to get it to accept the fingerprint - not something I want to have to deal with when paying at a store. Without the Whitestone Dome, it accepted the fingerprint after no more than 2 tries, mostly on the first try.

Hopefully it will get better, otherwise I'll have to remove it, which will be unfortunate, as I really like how it looks (somehow the display seems to look better w/the WSD).

MrPibb01

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree. I am also having FPS issues with the WSD on my Note 10+. I re-registered all my fingerprints and increased the sensitivity per WSD instructions. It is not nearly as reliable as with the stock Samsung screen protector. I have switched to the Smart Lock feature when wearing my Gear S3 to keep the phone unlocked. When I do use FPS with Samsung Pay, it often takes 3-4 attempts to recognize my fingerprint. Disappointed so far.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with the Whitestone Dome on my Note 10+. I've given up on the fingerprint sensor and gone to using a PIN because I want the protection of the tempered glass as I also ended up with a scratch on my Note 9. The fingerprint sensors must vary from phone to phone.

reinbeau

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Have you gone into Display/Touch sensitivity in Settings and turned it on? As it says, it increases the touch sensitivity of the screen for use with screen protectors.

Last edited:

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Have you gone into Display/Touch sensitivity in Settings and turned it on? As it says, it increases the touch sensitivity of the screen for use with screen protectors.

First thing I did, after deleting my existing fingerprint, was to set the increased sensitivity on. It didn't seem to make a difference.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've watched a few install videos in regards to the FPS, and some of them recommend a firm press where the FPS scanner is BEFORE the second curing. I'm still using the factory installed screen protector, but have a WSD here to install, and plan to try that step when I do. I installed one on my Note 8 and loved it. I had intended to install it the same day the phone arrived, but decided to rock the factory installed for right now.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to add to this old thread that after a week of having the Whitestone Dome on my Note 10+, I noticed that my fingerprint scanning has been getting spottier with more errors, so I decided to finally rescan my fingerprints. Let me tell you, the response is really snappy now - back to how it was originally even without the screen protector. I don't have to press as hard and it's pretty quick to come up. Now, I had rescanned right after curing and applying the Whitestone Dome, so I wonder if it took time to fully stabilize on it's own over a span of week or so and as a result, the fingerprints that I scanned right after curing were not being recognized as well because something was changing.

Anyway, it makes me believe either the scans of your fingerprints either degrade over time, or the Whitestone Dome's adhesive changes a bit before finally settling and that may affect your fingerprint scans. If the FPS remains as snappy as it is now, I'd have to believe that folks should rescan their prints at least a week after putting the Dome on.

Just a thought for those who have installed this and have noticed that they FPS performance has gotten poorer a few days after putting it on.

Or my experience could be isolated.

paul4747

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I also had a problem with the FPS with the Whitestone screen protector it doesn't register my fingers I had to press really hard soi left it alone and use the face recognition it works well.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to add to this old thread that after a week of having the Whitestone Dome on my Note 10+, I noticed that my fingerprint scanning has been getting spottier with more errors, so I decided to finally rescan my fingerprints. Let me tell you, the response is really snappy now - back to how it was originally even without the screen protector. I don't have to press as hard and it's pretty quick to come up. Now, I had rescanned right after curing and applying the Whitestone Dome, so I wonder if it took time to fully stabilize on it's own over a span of week or so and as a result, the fingerprints that I scanned right after curing were not being recognized as well because something was changing.

Anyway, it makes me believe either the scans of your fingerprints either degrade over time, or the Whitestone Dome's adhesive changes a bit before finally settling and that may affect your fingerprint scans. If the FPS remains as snappy as it is now, I'd have to believe that folks should rescan their prints at least a week after putting the Dome on.

Just a thought for those who have installed this and have noticed that they FPS performance has gotten poorer a few days after putting it on.

Or my experience could be isolated.

I tried it - deleted all fingerprints and re-added them. Unfortunately, no difference for me.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, sorry to hear that it's not working out as well. When you scan your prints, do you vary your scan each time? I try different angles of my finger and then also the edges of the finger too. Now, it reads my right thumb and finger very fast. My left thumb sometimes I have to do it a second time and adjust the angle since I hold the phone on my left hand.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, sorry to hear that it's not working out as well. When you scan your prints, do you vary your scan each time? I try different angles of my finger and then also the edges of the finger too. Now, it reads my right thumb and finger very fast. My left thumb sometimes I have to do it a second time and adjust the angle since I hold the phone on my left hand.

Yes, I did try to vary each scan - I even scanned each finger twice, as the Whitestone instructions indicated. It's getting really annoying to use Samsung Pay, as I fight to get a FPS to get accepted.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
When I set up my two same fingerprints i always set them up by holding the phone i would normally and also touch all four corners of the sensor and the middle, so if i do not hit the sensor centrally when unlocking it will still read my fingerprint.

Also when I fitted the Whitestone Dome after the 1st curing I gently pressed down where the fps is and then 2and cured using the uv light.

Both tips I picked up from YouTube tutorials.

Unlocking using these tips works 99% of the time I'd estimate.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I designate two scans for the same thing - I use both thumbs on both scans (two thumbs per "fingerprint") and do the moving around the FPS. It's fast to respond, even with a light touch, even though when I register, it asks me to press more firmly.

I do a third finger print scan for my right index finger for when the phone is sitting on my desk and I don't want/need to pick it up to look at an alert that may come in.

This is my first on screen FPS, so I have nothing else to compare it to, in regards to an in screen FPS, so to me, it's pretty fast to respond. I like it much better than the back of the phone FPS I had on my Note 8.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23