Who is To Blame for giant phones?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am no fan of those really big screen phones either.A phone with a 4.7 inch screen is really all I need.
I understand others prefer large screen phones.I might could accept a 5 inch screen if the bezel is trimmed down like the bezel on the Moto X is.
I'd say the old "supply and demand" is what is to blame so that would reflect back to what the consumers want.There is a point where the big phones will probably max out .Seems like trends come and go with everything.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There were quite a few high end smalls devices that weren't 4.5-5 inches.

Lets name then shall we?:

GS2

Evo 4G

Evo 3D

Samsung Galaxy S

Droid RAZR

Sony Xperia Arc S

HTC Rezoud (First phone with a 720p screen in the U.S.)

Droid X

Motorola Droid line

More recent:

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Moto X

Droid RAZR M

Droid RAZR Maxx

HTC One S

Posted via the Android Central App

I'll admit to forgetting a few of those but a lot of what you mentioned were huge for their time or do exceed that 4.5 mark which you started earlier in the post yourself. The evo 4g was absolutely massive for it's time as were many others and with the work on breaks, most phones listed could likely accommodate a 5 inch screen with ease.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'll admit to forgetting a few of those but a lot of what you mentioned were huge for their time or do exceed that 4.5 mark which you started earlier in the post yourself. The evo 4g was absolutely massive for it's time as were many others and with the work on breaks, most phones listed could likely accommodate a 5 inch screen with ease.

All the phones I mentioned all had less than 4.5 inch screens.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is a point where the big phones will probably max out .Seems like trends come and go with everything.

I agree, and I think we are reaching that currently. Way I see it, OEMs are feeling around, trying to find the form factors that make the most consumers happy. We basically have 3 basic size categories to pick from; small (Moto X, Xperia Compact), medium (Nexus 5, HTC One, G3, S5) and friggin' HUGE (Note 3, Z Ultra).

I think that we are already seeing some 'small' premium devices... The Moto X was the vanguard, it showed that higher end phones need not be monsters (or expensive). Yes, spec-heads might not put the X in that premium category, but the phone performed in such a manner in most every way. Samsung's new Alpha is going to be one of many new models at this lower end. And hopefully Sony gets the Xperia Compact line into mobile stores... the whole "direct to consumer" thing ain't going to work, at least in the US.

I think the mid-sized sedan class will fall somewhere between a Nexus 5 and LG G3/Z2.... Now, I know that many kind of howl at the G3, saying it's just too damn big... but in terms of overall size, it's right there with the others. The M8 is the same height and it is only 2mm wider than the S5... and it's nearly identical to the Z2. Still, the G3 and Z2 are the top end I think, with the S5's size as kind of the reference device in terms of size. And about the iPhone 6... yes, it's all rumors and speculation, but there is strong evidence out there that it'll drop with overall dimensions that are similar in size as the Nexus 5.

The 'phablets'.... I think there is a lot going on there since it has the most to play with. I get a kick out out articles that say how the 'phablet' is killing small tablets, as if they were two different styles of devices. The success of the Note series shows that there is a strong market for people who want the larger, tablet style form factor but, well, still want to use it as a phone. Data-only tablets might just throw in the towel and bump a little higher, as evidence the rumored Nexus 8 (8.9' screen).... but that 6'+ by 3'+ will be strong as well.

So if you can't find the right phone for you in those three categories .... a) too bad, so sad and b) it's not the phones' problem.

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think you can blame apple. Samsung wanted to differentiate from iPhone and figured why not make it bigger. Guess what, people liked it! I'm sure apple lost a good chunk by refusing to cave in to phablet trend (till now)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think you can blame apple. Samsung wanted to differentiate from iPhone and figured why not make it bigger. Guess what, people liked it! I'm sure apple lost a good chunk by refusing to cave in to phablet trend (till now)

In marketshare, yes.

But in profits? Probably not.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion, if they don't try catering to the low/mid range spectrum of phones, they might start hurting
I mean like 85% or something of phones run android and most phones are cheap phones

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024