Who is To Blame for giant phones?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, if they don't try catering to the low/mid range spectrum of phones, they might start hurting
I mean like 85% or something of phones run android and most phones are cheap phones

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

You're only looking at half the picture though. Volume isn't the most important thing to Apple. Look at their profit numbers. Look at their margins.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You're only looking at half the picture though. Volume isn't the most important thing to Apple. Look at their profit numbers. Look at their margins.

I wills at though, Apple can't survive in high end devices forever. They will have to cater to more markets soon, I mean there are still billions of people without smart phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wills at though, Apple can't survive in high end devices forever.

They'll be fine as long as they put out a decent product. Their more pressing problem is that they don't have Jobs to be their creative soul... They are now reacting, rather than leading. THAT won't work forever

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wills at though, Apple can't survive in high end devices forever. They will have to cater to more markets soon, I mean there are still billions of people without smart phones.

Maybe when they stop breaking their own sales records with each new iPhone release. Then maybe they'll expand "down market".

jjamain

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Its all about marketing strategy and increasing revenue.

I think, once apple entered big screen territory, others manufacturer will enter iphone small screen with high end spec. Wait n see....

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think, once apple entered big screen territory, others manufacturer will enter iphone small screen with high end spec. Wait n see....

I'd be surprise to see it cycle back to smaller phones soon.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe when they stop breaking their own sales records with each new iPhone release. Then maybe they'll expand "down market".

I am not talking now, but eventually maybe 5 years they will have to make some changes to their business strategy.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

In a way, it is though
Would you rather sell 1 iPhone for a profit of $200 or 7 android phones for a profit of $50? (Kinda just making up numbers but I think you get the idea)

But you guys are right, they will be fine for a number of years but they will eventually have to change

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
In a way, it is though
Would you rather sell 1 iPhone for a profit of $200 or 7 android phones for a profit of $50? (Kinda just making up numbers but I think you get the idea)

But you guys are right, they will be fine for a number of years but they will eventually have to change

Two ways to look at it. Apple has enjoyed hefty gross margins for a while. Investors like that a lot. They also like total revenue and profit.

Investors don't like when any of those slip even a little bit.

So, if Apple can sell a $200 phone that they built for $50 and have the kind of experience they know their users want they might do it.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
There have been bigger phones in the past like the Dell Streak, but I think the one that was a big success and popularize the phablet concept was original Galaxy Note, which I spent $850 to import when it was out. Today, it's still the most popular phablet.

Everyone who saw me with that Note comment how huge it is and ask "how can you use it"? Now all of them use these huge phones.

Last edited:

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
There are been bigger phones in the past like the Dell Streak, but I think the one that was a big success and popularize the phablet concept was original Galaxy Note, which I spent $850 to import when it was out. Today, it's still the most popular phablet.

Everyone who saw me with that Note comment how huge it is and ask "how can you use it"? Now all of them use these huge phones.

Yeah the Galaxy Notes are pretty big, too big for me, but they are very popular

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
There have been bigger phones in the past like the Dell Streak, but I think the one that was a big success and popularize the phablet concept was original Galaxy Note, which I spent $850 to import when it was out. Today, it's still the most popular phablet.

One of the only phablets I ever considers was a Note 3. And to be fair, it actually isn't unwieldy to me like the LG G3 is to me either. It is just way expensive.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I remember holding an S III, never mind the Note, and thinking how massive it was. But didn't take long before I realized that all that real estate was pretty nice.

Sight is our most important sense. I remember what the mobile internet looked like back when I had my old Razr flip... Now, every category, from productivity apps to games, everything has benefited from the increase. And that move to 5' and above was, pardon the pun, huge.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
That is not true, there are a lot of high specced 13 laptops. But there are not a lot of high specced phones in smaller form factor.

Well i see your point ;) you want a small phone with high end specs.
dont know why my old answer got deleted??? but yea get a nokia 3310 or something high end. or maybe an iphone 5s i mean it have high end specs not that big and thats what you want right?

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
dont know why my old answer got deleted??? but yea get a nokia 3310 or something high end. or maybe an iphone 5s i mean it have high end specs not that big and thats what you want right?

Edit my old post didn get deleted but i was a n00b and oversaw it ;)

egorre

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well first off it's Samsung. it started with their experimental line Samsung Galaxy Note. everybody hated the idea at first then it started selling. pretty much after that every android manufacturer increased screen sizes gradually up to today's standard 5" screens. I myself didn't think I'd get a galaxy note but when I saw the note II from the t-mobile store it was an instabuy for me day 1. it's a powerful device for multimedia consumption. netflix on a bigger screen = everything. I am back on a nexus 5 now since my note has been laggy lately. (touchwiz) there's a rumor that motorola is releasing 5.9in "shamu" phablet. that's probably my next phone.

I've read somewhere that having a bigger phone (most likely a galaxy) is also a status symbol in some countries.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Well first off it's Samsung. it started with their experimental line Samsung Galaxy Note. everybody hated the idea at first then it started selling. pretty much after that every android manufacturer increased screen sizes gradually up to today's standard 5" screens. I myself didn't think I'd get a galaxy note but when I saw the note II from the t-mobile store it was an instabuy for me day 1. it's a powerful device for multimedia consumption. netflix on a bigger screen = everything. I am back on a nexus 5 now since my note has been laggy lately. (touchwiz) there's a rumor that motorola is releasing 5.9in "shamu" phablet. that's probably my next phone.

I've read somewhere that having a bigger phone (most likely a galaxy) is also a status symbol in some countries.

You think you might get the Note 4? The rumored specs are pretty good

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

An indestructible 14 year old block of a phone nokia?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tharika1234