Why can't I open an apk file I downloaded?

Shynes_Bright

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am extremely new to this...this is my first apk file actually. I downloaded the file, followed the instructions exactly (don't laugh) as they basically just said "type this link into your browser". The file downloaded with no problems but when I tapped it to continue to the next step of installation an error came up saying "Can't open file". I have also transferred the file to the phone from laptop to see if that would help...still can't open the file. I have a Droid Turbo 2 running Andriod 6.0 Marshmallow.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You got to start somewhere:) Welcome to Android Central. APK files are compressed files like zip or rar files and used to install apps. By default, Android only allows installation of apps from Google. This is to protect you from downloading apps that could compromise your device. Google Play apps install automatically but a file manager is required to install apks from other sites.
Go to Google Play and get Astro File Manager or ES File Explorer and install.
Go to Settings, security, and allow installation of unknown apps.
I'm not sure if there is a file manager on your device. Skip the first step if there is

Srimaharshi manchem

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
You got to start somewhere:) Welcome to Android Central. APK files are compressed files like zip or rar files and used to install apps. By default, Android only allows installation of apps from Google. This is to protect you from downloading apps that could compromise your device. Google Play apps install automatically but a file manager is required to install apks from other sites.
I'm not sure if there is a file manager on your device. Skip the first step if there is

I'm facing this issue only after updating android studio to 2.3. Is there any connection to that ?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Some apps simply won't work on some phones. However before you give up try a couple things, reboot the phone. Try going to settings, apps, google services, and clear cache in there.

Mike909090

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site

I am trying to use a file I downloaded from internet (I know it's safe, don't worry) and I got that message so I got Astro File Manager. In what folder can I find it?
Also I noticed this thread was from 2 years ago.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Well ... they can be opened in Windows, but they can't be used to install an app. They're just .zip files with the extension renamed, so they can be opened in any zip program (or renamed to .zip). But you'll just see some files and some folders - they're not useful in Windows. (Except to modify them, if you know what you're doing.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! APK files by definition will run and install themselves by simply opening them. You shouldn't need a separate app to open an APK file.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky