Why can't I turn the phone on (Charged and plugged in)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've got a Galaxy S7 Edge, I bought it second hand from CEX and It was one of their top tear models without issues or scratches. I take it home and it works fine, after connecting to the internet it asks me to do a systems update, update finished, phone works fine for a bit then goes black. Can't do anything with it, done all the "Press the vol up/down and power whilst sacrificing a goat" Ect. It worked once and came up asking about the system update, me figuring that it still needed it and that's why is isn't working, pressed accept and it started the blue screen with the robot and the spiny thing around it, then went black again. Now whenever I plug it in, it goes to the start up screen with the title of the phone then jumps straight to the blue robot screen then goes black. An now it's been like that for about a month. I've tried to do the "Press vol up and home and power...." For a factory reset but nothing. It doesn't work, it either stays off or does the boot up cycle loop again.

So, What am I supposed to do? I've read loads online about people having similar issues but not the same and they always seem to fix it but those fixes tend to be the same and haven't worked for me so far.

I Don't wanna take it into a store unless I have to, one, because I already did and he said it would cost £30 and Id rather not if I didn't have to. An two, because I've moved since then and the nearest store is like 15-20 miles away and I can't drive right now.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow... Usually to do a factory reset it is just the vol button and the power button, I can't remember what happens when you throw the home button in the mix but I remember it doing something. For now though let's try to get you started up. What happens when you just plug in the phone? Do you get a battery percentage display, like you would if the phone was off or do you get nothing? What about the LED, I'm assuming I don't know this device but I'll assume that it somehow indicates that it is charging. At first glance it sounds like the battery may be dead or not charging but most devices that I've encountered will not allow you to do a system update if the battery level is low so again we'll have to assume that this is not the case but some verification would be helpful. You seem to have tried a lot from the internet but have you simply held the power button for like a minute. The power will cycle several times during this process if the device is starting. Usually holding the vol button down while you hold the power button for about a minute is said to recalibrate the battery. Here are the directions for factory resetting the S7, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=BxJis11Ze3U&usg=AOvVaw2CwbwtJQCf4kRanw7VeNzD, once you're sure that the battery is charged I would probably try that again. The thing that would scare me would be that it is asking about the update again. Which sounds like it either never started, preferable, or it never completed, worst case. Incomplete updates can really screw up a device, but you said it worked for awhile afterwards so I'm kind of not sure where that stands.

Become a member so that we can have a two way conversation. It will greatly help us help you. In the meantime I will request that this be moved to the S7 threads where other S7 users might have a bit more insight.

B. Diddy can you move this to the S7 threads, please.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved.

And VidJunky, Samsung uses the "3 finger reboot" - Volume (up for recovery, down for download) + Home + Power.

To answer the original question, you're probably going to have to bring it to the shop. It could be a hardware or software problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali