Why can't I write/delete on external SD card with APPs (LG G3)?

CoxNigel

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
LG G3 Lollipop still can't write/delete on external SD card with APPs

I thought this was fixed in Lollipop, but QuickPic still cannot delete photo's on the external SD card, ES File Explorer cannot create folders.

Does anyone know if there is something I can do (without rooting my phone) to get this working. My assumption was that after upgrading to Lollipop these issues would go away.

Any help would be very appreciated.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: LG G3 Lollipop still can't write/delete on external SD card with APPs

Take the SD card out, pop it into a computer. Use that to create whatever folders you need, and then pop it back into your phone. Not the best solution but it should work for now - hopefully Google gets microSD card support back to where it used to be, before they messed with it!

CoxNigel

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the reply.

Tried that but still can't delete photo's even if they are in a folder crested when the card was put into my PC.

drhex

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site

No need to physically remove the SD card - if you connect the phone to your computer via the usb cable (and enter the knock code), there should pop up a file explorer window on the computer through which you can write freely on the SD card (via the MTP or PTP protocols).

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the reply.

Tried that but still can't delete photo's even if they are in a folder crested when the card was put into my PC.

The file manager app Xplore can now write to the sd card. You have to try it first and then it will send you through a small set up to allow writing to the sd card. So Google fixed it. Its just now the apps have to be reconfigured to be able to write to the sd card.

agenthack

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
i recently updated my d858hk 3gb version to lollipop. it worked ok. i can now write to sd card with 3rd party apps like quickpic, mx player pro and camera fv-5.. im so happy that i can move / delete and rename files with it.. but i noticed my phone gets hot and it also gets hotter when i charge my phone.. so what i did was i factory reset my phone and the heating issue is gone.. but unfortunately i lost the write permission to my external sd card... this is very frustrating..i thought lollipop can write to external sd card with 3rd party apps... well it worked after the update but after factory reset its gone..please help me fix this..

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
i recently updated my d858hk 3gb version to lollipop. it worked ok. i can now write to sd card with 3rd party apps like quickpic, mx player pro and camera fv-5.. im so happy that i can move / delete and rename files with it.. but i noticed my phone gets hot and it also gets hotter when i charge my phone.. so what i did was i factory reset my phone and the heating issue is gone.. but unfortunately i lost the write permission to my external sd card... this is very frustrating..i thought lollipop can write to external sd card with 3rd party apps... well it worked after the update but after factory reset its gone..please help me fix this..

Try going into recover and clearing the cache. If that doesnt work you may need to do a hard reset and clear the cache before the phone is setup.

agenthack

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Try going into recover and clearing the cache. If that doesnt work you may need to do a hard reset and clear the cache before the phone is setup.

How do i clear cache if im not rooted? I went to the recovery mode and it only gave me the option to reset. It asked me to reset and pressed yes. Went to factory setup.. Installed mx player pro and still wont allow me to delete files on my external sd card.

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
How do i clear cache if im not rooted? I went to the recovery mode and it only gave me the option to reset. It asked me to reset and pressed yes. Went to factory setup.. Installed mx player pro and still wont allow me to delete files on my external sd card.

I forgot that you can only reset on the boot screen.

Install the file manager app Xplore, then go and try to add somthing to your sd card. If thr "write to sd" permission is availible, then the app should send you through a set up to enable it for Xplore, if not, you may still go through the set up but you still will not have access through the Xplore app. If you still cant even move a file with the file manager, then your update may be corrupt. In which case, id recommend trying to get a replacment or take it to a store of your carrier. Hope this helps :)

agenthack

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I forgot that you can only reset on the boot screen.

Install the file manager app Xplore, then go and try to add somthing to your sd card. If thr "write to sd" permission is availible, then the app should send you through a set up to enable it for Xplore, if not, you may still go through the set up but you still will not have access through the Xplore app. If you still cant even move a file with the file manager, then your update may be corrupt. In which case, id recommend trying to get a replacment or take it to a store of your carrier. Hope this helps :)

I was able to delete a file from the xplorer app.. It gave me the option to modify sd card.. Just like in quickpic app.. When i try to delete a file it asked me to chose sd card option.. I never experienced this option with mx player pro though.. Its just so weird that it worked before when i updated to Lollipop.. And when i did a factory reset my mx player pro can no longer modify files to my external sd card.. Do you think its the app or my phone is acting up?

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I was able to delete a file from the xplorer app.. It gave me the option to modify sd card.. Just like in quickpic app.. When i try to delete a file it asked me to chose sd card option.. I never experienced this option with mx player pro though.. Its just so weird that it worked before when i updated to Lollipop.. And when i did a factory reset my mx player pro can no longer modify files to my external sd card.. Do you think its the app or my phone is acting up?

Im sad to say that your phone is now working properly. With lolliepop, the "write to sdcard" permission has to be requested. Meaning that apps that wish to write to the sdcard must have the request in themselvs. Android does not just give access to the sd anymore. So why you were able to do it on mx player before, it sounds like with it already being installed it bypassed the need for permission to access the sd. So. Bottom line. All android apps will not be freely given access to the sd card, but must be updated to request access. So... You gotta wait for an update, unless you go the root way.

agenthack

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Hopefully an mx player pro update will fix the issue.. I also have camera fv-5..i was able to save to external sd but then i lost the permission after the factory reset.. I just wish theres an option in the settings where you can just switch on to read/write to ad cards with 3rd party appz.. Oh well.. Waiting for 5.0.2.. Thanks

Solace Kane

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I found the permenant fix to this (if you are rooted):
basically find a kernel that corresponds to what rom build you are running and flash it in recovery.

What happened in my personal experience was that I went from a 4.0 custom rom to a 5.0 rom and then back to 4.0 and i was not able to write or delete files on my external.
I found a kernel on xda developers that corresponded to my rom build and it fixed the problem.

phissith

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH, nothing, spend hours. Finally!! Install ES Explorer, go to your extSD card, proceed to delete everything after you have copy your contents to PC. ES will prompt to go to "SHOW SD Card" then select your EXT SDCARD and proceed to deletes all files!!

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Scratching my head with QuickPic with my new LGG4 Lollipop. I brought over my external sd card from my old phone (Android 4.0) with all my pics on it. My LG G4 camera writes to the new camera location fine (stock and OpenCamera) on the old external sd card in a new folder. But quickpic only can delete a pic from the folder level page. If I open a single pic to edit it or delete it, nothing happens.. no edit.. no delete.. no error. But I can delete okay from the folder view (i.e. multi-thumbnails).

Just for curiosity, I copied a picture from the camera folder location to a newly created folder. Then inside that new folder, I could open the pic and edit it just fine.

Can't understand what the difference could be in the folders? Is it the camera app or the quick pic app? or the external sd card?

note my quick pic app is old. I would prefer not to update. It has modify/delete/write permissions. (and almost nothing else which is the way I like it!!!)

Any ideas?

Serg Yuzhin

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH, nothing, spend hours. Finally!! Install ES Explorer, go to your extSD card, proceed to delete everything after you have copy your contents to PC. ES will prompt to go to "SHOW SD Card" then select your EXT SDCARD and proceed to deletes all files!!

hello all im new
just did this ES explorer trick but it still show an error "no permission".
what else to suggest? device is teclast x98 air iii android 5.0 stock

niteshssingh

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site

The simple way is that just install es explorer on your phone then from your android inbuilt file manager copy this folder "com.estrongs.android.pop.pro" situated at Android>Data to your pendrive under Android>Data and after this its done now copy any files from phone storage and paste in ext sd card at Android>Data>com.estrongs.android.pop.pro remember you have to create android folder and under this data folder and paste es file folder then you can pase any data to extsd card from es file explorer

Jonathan Keeth

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I just did this and it worked on my G3. You need to reformat your SD card from exfat to fat32 with the fat32format program. Then make sure you give your drive a name (right click, Rename) in My Computer. After that, my file explorer programs can read and write no problem, but I still cannot get the Google Photos app to delete SD card pictures!

HoftHome

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site

I have a Galaxy S4 and had a similar issue with the QuickEdit Text Editor app v 1.2.2. I could read and write all day to the phone's internal storage & could read from my 64GB SD card, but the app could not write to it. Other text editors could also read & write to the SD card but for some strange reason QuickEdit could not write to it.

Uninstalling/re-installing the app did not help. QuickEdit continually popped up an error that read 'Please select [SD Card] to grant QuickEdit write permission to SD card'. So, I selected the folder I wanted to write to (e.g. TxtFiles) but still got the error.

After reading the Version 0.8.2 section approx. half-way down at this xda-developers.com link I selected the root of the SD card itself and now the app can read & write to the root and any folder on the SD card. No more error messages!

Hope this helps someone.

velabri

May 14, 2017
Visit site

I have a Galaxy S4 and had a similar issue with the QuickEdit Text Editor app v 1.2.2. I could read and write all day to the phone's internal storage & could read from my 64GB SD card, but the app could not write to it. Other text editors could also read & write to the SD card but for some strange reason QuickEdit could not write to it.

Uninstalling/re-installing the app did not help. QuickEdit continually popped up an error that read 'Please select [SD Card] to grant QuickEdit write permission to SD card'. So, I selected the folder I wanted to write to (e.g. TxtFiles) but still got the error.

After reading the Version 0.8.2 section approx. half-way down at this xda-developers.com link I selected the root of the SD card itself and now the app can read & write to the root and any folder on the SD card. No more error messages!

Hope this helps someone.

Hi, I had the same problem as above. Could write / save to device (Note 3), could read data from extSD Card, but could not save photos / music / apps or data to the SD card.

Simple solution - I unmounted and removed the SD card and then re-installed it - and it works fine !!! I can now save photos etc once again to the external SD Card. Yahoo !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rambo4id