Why does my LG G3 screen flicker and fades to darkness?

Zorineau

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
You know what, I backed it two weeks ago.
It's a damne thing but it's now working like day 1.
I even droped the paper

however I start having the fading issue again, but least that once a day so for now it's still good to me.

chaicoughski

May 24, 2016
Visit site
My phone has just started exhibiting the same symptoms as those mentioned elsewhere in this thread. It refuses to turn on, but when it does, the screen flickers blue during the LG bootup and it will either manage to boot into android (or not) before it starts the reboot-loop before it finally gives up and turns off and stops attempting to boot again. This is a completely stock phone, not tampered with in anyway. Immaculately cared for, never dropped onto the ground. Now just fractionally outside the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Very annoying. I'll not buy LG again.

ClaraB

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
After the fading problem, now my lg g3 does not torn on at all .. When I try it, it keeps restarting all the time .. It appears the lg logo for like 10 seg and then it comes back dark and restart ...

aimulianto

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem with my G3 yesterday that has been used since 2014. Today I brought the phone to the LG Service Center. The technician told me that the problem was with the power management chip and unfortunately for this kind of problem, requires mainboard replacement. And unfortunately again for me, the phone is out of warranty. The replacement board costs around USD160 but he said that there is also alternative board that is produced in Thailand that costs around USD110. I took the offer and now the phone seems to be without problem. Fingers crossed.

AgentJohnson1

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I just started having this issue this morning. I was going to try the trick with the paper but as I started taking the cover off I noticed the screen start flickering. At this point I started thinking this is definitely a hardware issue. I started flexing the phone some back and forth and sure enough the screen started flickering and flashing as I was twisting. I'm assuming this is being caused by the same components on everyone's phone and is most certainly a hardware issue and NOT software. My phone has been flashed with the same ROM for a while now and the flickering literally happened out of the blue so it's safe to say it is completely unrelated to software changes. The amount of people that are having this problem is pretty astounding and it's clear this is no isolated defect. I'm yet another G3 owner with this problem.

Last edited:

the Core

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
I started flexing the phone some back and forth and sure enough the screen started flickering and flashing as I was twisting.
I agree. It's a hardware issue. The flickering can be stopped by pushing with your finger against the spot below the black infrared sensor and left of the power button. If you would 'unpress' or lift this place of the phone's cover, the flickering starts. Another way to stop the flickering is to bend the phone right upper corner (when looking at the front) towards the front.
Anyway, the paper trick is based on this and frees your fingers :p I'm glad you're able to describe the same symptons. The amount of people suffering from this is astounding indeed.

it keeps restarting all the time
Boot loop? Here's your solution: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...oot-loop-how-can-i-get-out-2.html#post5177159

@aimulianto: a new mobo is probably the best solution, though it's still really expensive.

kreip

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I have the same symptoms since about one month. I've tried the paper trick . It works for a time but the problems continue. I don't know what to do. I find that it's totally abnormal to have problem with a FlagShip afer one year and a half. I consider it's planned obsolescence.

what are you thinking ?

greenbackz

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Exact same problem here.. it's almost unusable most of the time screen just blank or will flicker when its on and just fade out.. paper trick or finger trick don't work for me it just randomly decides when it wants to work. all of these going bad around the same time 1.5 years.. it can' t be coincidence. 100% manufacturing defect this should be a recall with this many users affected!

minajeju

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm this works. I was using the paper method at first and then I changed the software to cloudy 2.5 and removed the paper and it works. I definitely believe its a software issue.

kreip

May 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it's a software issue. I have android Marshmallow and many other people have Lolipop. However, everybody have the same problems.
It's possible to do an online petition with the aim of making things happen.

william-coelho

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm from Brazil and I am following the forum to find a solution to the problem with my LG G3.

I do not believe the problem is the software because my phone sometimes works perfectly, but when I hold the extremities of my cell and twist slightly, the mobile screen fades instantly.

I'm sure it's a component of bad plate attached.

Excuse me for my bad English.

LGG3Defect

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I am now using the paper method with two layers of carton, so far so good.
Only problem I'm having is that the phone starts overheating around the camera and the buttons, will this damage the phone?
I don't know why I'm having so many issues with this phone, other problems I've had are the LED notification light blinking with no notifications and the gallery not showing my internal memory pictures.

Last edited:

Juiceycow

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Canadian LG G3 owner here... I've just started getting the dreaded fading black screen of death :'(
I can randomly get the screen to turn on, but only lasts a few seconds.
It's approx 17 months old, bought in Jan 2015.

How things go with tech support with dictate if I just get a new phone eg Nexus or S7.

Juiceycow

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I tried the paper trick, and seems to be working ok for now.
My Live Chat with Rogers this morning was brutal.
Conclusion, out of warranty, so have to send it in for repair. Im shopping around instead.

greenbackz

May 30, 2016
Visit site
I tried the paper trick, and seems to be working ok for now.
My Live Chat with Rogers this morning was brutal.
Conclusion, out of warranty, so have to send it in for repair. Im shopping around instead.

yup, exactly same as me. i even contacted LG and they said it's only covered if it is related to a software update. but i never did any software updates lately. its 100% hardware related, caused by bad solder from the factory obviously. got 6 months left on my contract not sure if i wanna get another LG even tho they are offering the G4 for free if i pay off my $150 flextab lol