Visit site
Re: Informative review video

I'm a pretty Big Floss fan. His reviews are legit

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Poor user experience.
The market isn't interested in poor screen visibility, fast battery draining and routine overheating and screen dimming issues. It wants a overall trouble free mobile experience. No regular customer goes into the mobile store and asks the rep for the pixel count of the Samsung S5 or passes up a device because it has thick bezels. They're interested in looks, comfort and performance. You tell the average customer that a device heats up a lot or its battery drains fast and that customer is moving on to the next device. The average customer wants convenience from a device. She doesn't want to have to delay her video viewing while her expensive mobile device cools down. To her that's a defect. And she'll most likely return it for a different brand.
And therein lies LG's problem with the G3. It's selling at a good clip at this point. But will the mass market, once it begins to encounter the myriad performance issues hindering the G3, return the device? Or not pick it up if warned about potential problems? I think so. My wife bought the G3 at launch. She encountered some of the issues, especially the battery drain, over heating and dull, dimming screen. I offered some workarounds that did help the device perform a bit better but her feeling was that I shouldn't have to make all those adjustments and compromises in order to make a brand new device operate decently. She exchanged it for a G2. She's thrilled with it. She couldn't understand if the G3 is supposed to be the successor to the G2,why does it have so many problems.
My wife is the mass market. She doesn't know a pixel from a bezel. A benchmark from an MaH. Nor does she care.
But she certainly does care about the user experience. To that end, she's going to spend her hard earned money on a device that enhances her life. She's the mass market.
Inexplicably, LG crafted a gorgeous device, then crippled it with screen tech that the device's engine is not able to keep up with. And to what end? To one up Samsung, htc and Apple? User experience be damned?
Then incredibly, after testing the device, fully knowing the issues the device has, released it to the market as is.
The mass market does not chase specs. It has other priorities.
LG got it wrong this time out.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Not to imply your problems weren't real, but think about it:

How many G3s has LG sold so far? How many complaints have you seen on every forum on which you've looked? Statistically insignificant, and typical of any product...unless you're one of the unfortunate ones, of course.

Posted via Android Central App

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
It is obvious from the posts on this forum that bad experiences are much less than stellar performances. The G2 is a great phone. The G3 is mostly a G2 with the larger screen. Mine operates with no overheating, no lag, and battery life that last me throughout the day. Your wife got a bad example.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
A fair and well thought out post regarding your experiences.
Does it change my opinion of the G3, no. So far I have not been plagued with some of the issues that have arisen.
Good luck, my wife and your wife are very similar as far as phone needs. She went with the iPhone5...Arghhhhh.....hate that thing, LOL.

DroidFox

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
You're right, a typical customer that goes into a store doesn't care about pixel count. However, the typical online buyer/researcher does. Your argument doesn't make sense, because your wife isn't the typical G3 buyer. The typical G3 buyer is the tech savvy, numbers hungry, must have the latest and best gadget type of buyer. Why do you think its selling so well? Mainly for the specs.

eunesh

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
You're right, a typical customer that goes into a store doesn't care about pixel count. However, the typical online buyer/researcher does. Your argument doesn't make sense, because your wife isn't the typical G3 buyer. The typical G3 buyer is the tech savvy, numbers hungry, must have the latest and best gadget type of buyer. Why do you think its selling so well? Mainly for the specs.
True that. The market for the G3 is most likely not the average consumer. Thats what "that new Apple" or "the new Galaxy" is for. (And what they call it too.)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
True that. The market for the G3 is most likely not the average consumer. Thats what "that new Apple" or "the new Galaxy" is for. (And what they call it too.)

Well also people that aren't average consumers may enjoy Samsung phones. I've tried others but still like my Note. The G3 has my interest though.. :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I didn't even know of LG making phones for a long time, what got me interested in the G2 was actually the price. It offered so much for a much lower price than other phones. And it's still the same for the LG3!

The price in combination with that big screen on a phone of the size of the M8 led to my final decision. I think it's the price and the screen that gets people on board.

LOOMfreek

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have none of these issues. I'm sorry to hear of yours.

Same here. But I think it's all relative. I just picked up my G3 3 days ago, coming off an old Droid Bionic. The differences are staggering. My Droid Bionic never carried me through the whole day. Getting a mophie as a gift last year was a god send.

My G3 has been pretty consistent, taking me from 7am to 11pm to full drain. That's all I really need. Get up for work, then plug in at night. I figure too, if I get another batter and battery charger I will have the perfect setup. My daily use looks like: few phone calls, some surfing, visiting and posting to my favorite forums here and there, pics & maybe a family movie, couple of post to facebook, some gameplaying, and some text messages.

Experience wise, It has been super fast, no lag, no crashes, pic quality for a mobile phone has been fantastic that I've been taking more family pics while on the go, games have been amazing (especially riptide gp2), no "the app is not responding" message that I used to get all the time from my Bionic. The larger size also suits my hands better. No more cramping or hitting the wrong keys while typing. So I'm pretty happy.

And yeh...screen is about 1000x better than my old Bionic. Brightness is fine set at 70% auto all day long inside or outside. And on top of all that, the dang thing is pretty sweet looking with removable battery and micro SD. Way better looking than the S5 IMO (I was considering getting an S5).

I guess my post explains why I think LG got it right and apparently a ton of other customers think that too based on sales and very minimal marketing compared to Samsung.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't experienced any of those issues in my week of ownership.

The mass market may not know a pixel from a bezel, but they know a phone phone with a big, sharp, display that's lightweight and easy to hold.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The market isn't interested in poor screen visibility, fast battery draining and routine overheating and screen dimming issues.

The market is interested in inexpensive phones that do basic functions. No company makes a flagship device like this and expect it to take off. This device is for people that want a user, and something that they can play with. It's a niche product, because it's at the top of their line.

Having said all of that, it is still a very good device that, when configured properly (not talking about obvious hardware defects), performs great. Battery life, screen, and performance. Just compare to other flagships and it is on par. It's not rocket science.

oyeyemi808

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
2 weeks in and I love my LG g3 super phone, nor have I experienced any of the OP's issues. I think it is possible that there may have been a bad batch of phones that some buyers got. MO

sent from my LG G3

bongaroo

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Poor user experience.
The market isn't interested in poor screen visibility, fast battery draining and routine overheating and screen dimming issues. It wants a overall trouble free mobile experience. No regular customer goes into the mobile store and asks the rep for the pixel count of the Samsung S5 or passes up a device because it has thick bezels. They're interested in looks, comfort and performance. You tell the average customer that a device heats up a lot or its battery drains fast and that customer is moving on to the next device. The average customer wants convenience from a device. She doesn't want to have to delay her video viewing while her expensive mobile device cools down. To her that's a defect. And she'll most likely return it for a different brand.
And therein lies LG's problem with the G3. It's selling at a good clip at this point. But will the mass market, once it begins to encounter the myriad performance issues hindering the G3, return the device? Or not pick it up if warned about potential problems? I think so. My wife bought the G3 at launch. She encountered some of the issues, especially the battery drain, over heating and dull, dimming screen. I offered some workarounds that did help the device perform a bit better but her feeling was that I shouldn't have to make all those adjustments and compromises in order to make a brand new device operate decently. She exchanged it for a G2. She's thrilled with it. She couldn't understand if the G3 is supposed to be the successor to the G2,why does it have so many problems.
My wife is the mass market. She doesn't know a pixel from a bezel. A benchmark from an MaH. Nor does she care.
But she certainly does care about the user experience. To that end, she's going to spend her hard earned money on a device that enhances her life. She's the mass market.
Inexplicably, LG crafted a gorgeous device, then crippled it with screen tech that the device's engine is not able to keep up with. And to what end? To one up Samsung, htc and Apple? User experience be damned?
Then incredibly, after testing the device, fully knowing the issues the device has, released it to the market as is.
The mass market does not chase specs. It has other priorities.
LG got it wrong this time out.

Personal opinions will vary....

In response I have had no issues with my LG G3. Screen looks great, the ui is smooth, and the size is perfect.

LG G3 has set a high bar for others to attempt to reach.

Posted via my LG G3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PDP