Why is my S5 stuck on the logo screen after clearing cache?

AndroidNoob99

Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
After clearing the cache on my galaxy S5 (via the Settings app), my phone never boots past the "MetroPCS" logo, it is just stuck there indefinitely.

I went into "Recovery/Manual Mode", and did the "Wipe cache partition" there too. Cache wipe completed successfully. But still, my phone still never advances past the logo screen!

On the recovery/manual mode screen my phone is listed as
6.0.1/MMB29M/G900T1UVU1GQC2

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi , welcome!
Power it off force off by holding power button until phone turns off then see if it goes through if not factory reset through recovery

AndroidNoob99

Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi , welcome!
Power it off force off by holding power button until phone turns off then see if it goes through if not factory reset through recovery

Thank you! Holding the power button does not turn off the phone while it is stuck on the logo screen. The only thing that could turn the phone off at that point is physically removing the battery : (

Short of doing a factory reset, would somehow flashing my phone with the stock rom (if available/possible) instead perhaps resolve the issue?

Also, I've read in several places that clearing the cache is supposed to be a "safe" operation, at least on a stock rom. But, does that mostly apply to the "Recovery Mode" option to "Wipe cache partition" ? Because prior to that I used the phone's "Settings" App to clear the cache...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you! Holding the power button does not turn off the phone while it is stuck on the logo screen. The only thing that could turn the phone off at that point is physically removing the battery : (

Short of doing a factory reset, would somehow flashing my phone with the stock rom (if available/possible) instead perhaps resolve the issue?

Also, I've read in several places that clearing the cache is supposed to be a "safe" operation, at least on a stock rom. But, does that mostly apply to the "Recovery Mode" option to "Wipe cache partition" ? Because prior to that I used the phone's "Settings" App to clear the cache...

Yeah trying flash with stock firmware will factory rest it also not sure on the older Samsung phones if you could save user data .

Clearing cache is usually safe , but your talking about doing this on a aging phone and on a very old Andriod version .

Once your able get out if this , recommend clearing cache in settings instead of recovery just for the fact it's a older phone .

AndroidNoob99

Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
why were you clearing the cache? was there a problem you were trying to fix because it could be related.
It was just to clear up some space for some apps I wanted to update from the play store

Yeah trying flash with stock firmware will factory rest it also not sure on the older Samsung phones if you could save user data .
Ahhh, so I guess factory reset is the only way to go :(

I have most of my data saved on an external SD card, but it looks like I'll still lose my text messages, and probably a few new contacts or so (haven't backed up my contacts in a while).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It was just to clear up some space for some apps I wanted to update from the play store

Ahhh, so I guess factory reset is the only way to go :(

I have most of my data saved on an external SD card, but it looks like I'll still lose my text messages, and probably a few new contacts or so (haven't backed up my contacts in a while).
Yeah :( unfortunately that's the way you going have to go with factory reset

AndroidNoob99

Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys! I ended up visiting a samsung service center, and they had the home binary ("home_csc" firmware image) that can preserve user data after reflash. So, my phone now works and I got to keep all of my data!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys! I ended up visiting a samsung service center, and they had the home binary ("home_csc" firmware image) that can preserve user data after reflash. So, my phone now works and I got to keep all of my data!
That's great to hear thanks for updating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332