Why must I be this way?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT IF ANYTHING.

I do this all the time. Bear with me as I work through this. I get the more-than-good-enough model but can't be satisfied. I got the 8/256 S23U but that little devil is telling me I should take it back and order the 12/512GB from AT&T. ...my obvious and wasteful lack of discipline is disturbing and strikes again.

This phone is, by far, the smoothest Android phone to ever touch my hands and, sheesh, I've had A LOT. I don't want to really like/love it...but I do. It is what it is. What if if I had the slightly better model? It wouldn't be that much more $$$...but it would be some.

The device will NOT be my daily driver.

I've turned to the Dark Side for that (iPhones (iMessage (friends and family yatta, yatta)). So as a tertiary device, the 8/256 should be more than enough. Let's be honest, if history is any indicator, I will not have this phone in a year ()...so future-proofing is not really an excuse.

...but 12GB of RAM and 512 GB of (unnecessary) storage for less than $5 more-a-month is compelling for some reason...

My name is Tadpoles...and perhaps I have a problem.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
[Puts on Dad Hat]... ...Why are you wasting so much money financing such an expensive consumer electronics device that you won't even use that frequently, or keep that long?

I genuinely encourage you to think about curbing your impulses and directing more towards your future.

[removed link]

Last edited by a moderator:

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
[Puts on Dad Hat]... ...Why are you wasting so much money financing such an expensive consumer electronics device that you won't even use that frequently, or keep that long?

I genuinely encourage you to think about curbing your impulses and directing more towards your future.
[Puts Dad Hat on] Your Dad has a point.

[Takes Dad Hat off] Yeah, if it's not your daily driver I can't see a reason for it and you clearly like what you have. Just keep it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, 8GB is weak. May be ok today but if you hold on to the phone 2-3 years with two/three OS updates and how newer updates tax older phones more and more, that extra memory may come out handy. That's why I decided not to wait a few months to see if any deals and just upgrade through AT&T. 512GB free upgrade plus $1000 trade-in... they may offer that in a few months if sales gets slow... but it won't get better than that.

Did I help you with your problem Tadpole? :D

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My brother is going thru this exact delimma. You're not my brother yacking in the forums are you??

I think he is going to live with it. It would be more work then it's worth. Having to deal with Samsung return, financing, and ratuken. He said it was enough of a PITA dealing with ratuken the first time and the first time hasn't even come thru yet. He's on like 3 or 4 emails to them now. I think ratuken might be worse then Samsung.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

h2ofun

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
SO glad I did the verizon deal. 512gig at the 256gig price. I really wanted the 1TB, but no way was I going to not take all the Verizon trade in deals.
But, I am stuck for 3 years. :(

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Tadpoles,

You are not alone. When the S22 came out I had the base model twice, the S22 Ultra and the S22 plus all before the Fold 4 and Flip 4 came out. Of which i had both of those phones as well. So that is 6 Samsung phones in a year. I still ended the year with the Pixel 7 Pro.
This was all possible cause I will waste money on phones.
I'm hoping the S23 Ultra quills my desire to buy new phones.
The one thing I always looks for is battery life. All of the previous phones had really good battery life. This one here is the best of every Android phone i have ever owned and it has top tier specs.

Sent from my SM-S918U using AC Forums mobile app

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, 8GB is weak. May be ok today but if you hold on to the phone 2-3 years with two/three OS updates and how newer updates tax older phones more and more, that extra memory may come out handy. That's why I decided not to wait a few months to see if any deals and just upgrade through AT&T. 512GB free upgrade plus $1000 trade-in... they may offer that in a few months if sales gets slow... but it won't get better than that.

Did I help you with your problem Tadpole? :D

Lol. Absolutely!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Just curious, but why does someone need more than one smartphone?

I don't like to carry my larger phone when i am doing my runs, running in races or on my mountain bike so I carry an iPhone 12 when outdoors. Carries smaller in my running belt or cargo pockets and feel they are more durable in a spill and honestly not worried if it breaks because i have access to more spares. My S22U/S23U is my daily and I don't want to bang it up.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't like to carry my larger phone when i am doing my runs, running in races or on my mountain bike so I carry an iPhone 12 when outdoors. Carries smaller in my running belt or cargo pockets and feel they are more durable in a spill and honestly not worried if it breaks because i have access to more spares. My S22U/S23U is my daily and I don't want to bang it up.

Almost seems like it would be cheaper in the rare, if not, ever occurrence of breaking a phone than owning multiple phones. What can I say, I currently have a S22U and S23U and kept the S22U for a backup so maybe I should ask myself that question. :p

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, but why does someone need more than one smartphone?
For me it's nice to have a couple back ups as I have 10 lines I manage for family. I also like to switch it up just because it's nice to change it around a little. Have a fold 4 and a S23U. I like to change format here and there just to have different experiences. I also use the S23U when out and about on my time off, mainly weekends as the battery lasts longer, screen is bigger I don't need to open the fold when doing things besides quick replies.

The fold is great in my truck as I have it mounted on the windshield in the opened position so I can see the screen better and Google maps is displayed better. Not to mentioned its great to have that nice big screen without a real noticable camera notch

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk