Wierd charging issue?

ComfortNickel

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
So, I first noticed that it always said that it was charging. And then one day it went off by itself and wouldn't turn back on. I charged it that night, and called customer service. He walked me through the reset, and it worked but still said it was charging. It did freeze and shut off on a call once, but I reset the phone and it was ok.
Then, I did a couple of days work outside of the coverage area. Out there, I shut off my phone to keep the charge. But, I couldn't turn it on untill I hooked it up to the charger. Even with a full charge. And I couldn't do the reset either.
As a little background, the phone is three months old, and this happened at less than two months. I really like the phone, the worst thing is some of the programs are beyond idiotic. I am a contractor and use the phone almost constantly, for everything. I keep the gps and wireless on all day, and run lots of programs. The battery lasts all day even with heavy use. The only program that runs it down fast is Iheartradio, but I don't mind. I also baby it better than my daughter: I never hold it higher than 6" from a surface, never in my pocket, original charger, I even wash my hands before using it (my dirty fingers don't register?). I even have a special protected pouch for it on the jobsite.
That is still happening, but also, when the charge gets low, the "hooked to charger" beep goes off constantly- 10-50 times a minute.
Other problems that developed at the same time: now I cannot get to the reset menu, like the command doesn't work. Sometimes I have to remove and replace the SD card for it to read (old Windows logic there). The keyboard is real funky now too; I used to be ok with it, now it'll light up "y" but type "t", and other parts too. I don't drink enough for that to happen to me. And, sometimes the voice-to-text gets real bad. It takes my english, and switches it to spanish, but only by sounds. I say something in spanish, and I don't know what it says.
Anyone else had this problem?

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
So, I first noticed that it always said that it was charging. And then one day it went off by itself and wouldn't turn back on. I charged it that night, and called customer service. He walked me through the reset, and it worked but still said it was charging. It did freeze and shut off on a call once, but I reset the phone and it was ok.
Then, I did a couple of days work outside of the coverage area. Out there, I shut off my phone to keep the charge. But, I couldn't turn it on untill I hooked it up to the charger. Even with a full charge. And I couldn't do the reset either.
As a little background, the phone is three months old, and this happened at less than two months. I really like the phone, the worst thing is some of the programs are beyond idiotic. I am a contractor and use the phone almost constantly, for everything. I keep the gps and wireless on all day, and run lots of programs. The battery lasts all day even with heavy use. The only program that runs it down fast is Iheartradio, but I don't mind. I also baby it better than my daughter: I never hold it higher than 6" from a surface, never in my pocket, original charger, I even wash my hands before using it (my dirty fingers don't register?). I even have a special protected pouch for it on the jobsite.
That is still happening, but also, when the charge gets low, the "hooked to charger" beep goes off constantly- 10-50 times a minute.
Other problems that developed at the same time: now I cannot get to the reset menu, like the command doesn't work. Sometimes I have to remove and replace the SD card for it to read (old Windows logic there). The keyboard is real funky now too; I used to be ok with it, now it'll light up "y" but type "t", and other parts too. I don't drink enough for that to happen to me. And, sometimes the voice-to-text gets real bad. It takes my english, and switches it to spanish, but only by sounds. I say something in spanish, and I don't know what it says.
Anyone else had this problem?

Interesting.... I don't have a prevail myself but I know several people who do and I can't say I've heard of most of these issues; however I will attempt to answer each one as best as I can.

First off you said you cannot get to the reset menu: is that the menu accessed through settings > privacy? or are you referring to the samsung recovery screen? If it is the prior you are referring to you should also be aware a factory reset can be performed from recovery this can be accessed by turning the phone off than holding down camera, volume up and power simultaneously, letting off when you see the samsung splash screen.

System sounds: most of them are annoying in particular the low battery beep. One option if you are rooted is to replace the sound with a different one. I'm not certain about the path for the prevail but on the optimus s it would be located at </system/sounds/effects/LowBatteryM3.ogg> (withou the <> of course) you could either replace this with a similar length audio file of .ogg format or even rename it with .bak at the end (LowBatteryM3.ogg.bak) this would make it so the phone could no longer call that sound.

A word about stock SD cards: most are low end, generally class 4 at best. Failing SD cards can be known to cause boot issues as well as the obvious read errors that you are describing, you may consider swapping your SD card for a better one to see if this resolves some of your issues.

Typing: while dirt generally shouldn't effect the sensitivity to much it is possible that dirty hands could cause some issues. The reason for this is actually quite simple; you may have noticed that your phone does not react to a stylus or if you are wearing gloves, the reason is the same in all cases. Basically rather than sensing touch directly the screen is actually designed to sense the heat from your contact using the thermal signature to actually tell if it's your hand moving across the screen or something else that shouldn't be tracked, if the thermal signature is not present the action is not processed. As for letters showing up wrong I've had issues when typing in landscape on both my phone and my roommates prevail where the same thing happens on occasion, I usually just chalk it up to random gremlins that are known for haunting all my electronics but one possible cause is a screen protector; if you have a screen protector and it has any bubbles in it they may be part of the cause, I've also been told (though I have not noticed this myself) that screen protectors can impede precision.

Now that I have commented on the individual issues as best I can I have one final thought that you may consider... Return to stock via Odin backup, there are a few floating around a google search would do you good on that front, I don't have any links handy and I really don't like linking to outside forums anyway. If returning to stock does not resolve your issues than you can assume whatever is causing your issues is likely hardware related.

Wow that is a wall of freaking text; anyway, hope I helped and welcome to AC.

ComfortNickel

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I figured out the recovery menu, it is the down button instead of up. And I have to press them when the green charging battery shows, usually on the second or third try.
I like it having the "low charge" beep, but it starts within an hour of disconnecting, and I've seen it say that I have a 92% & charging which is dumb. What also bothers me is it will chime constantly. It was driving me crazy in traffic one day, and I had to stop counting it to keep my sanity. I had counted over thirty beeps in less than two minutes. I don't think I did keep my sanity...
I tried a better card, but the condition was the same. And so put the original one back in. And thank you for the tip on heat tracking. Now I just warm up my finger and it works great, but still have the misstyping. It is insanity, because I press the same spot the same way over and over and get different results (that's before the beer, it makes my hands cold).
I did return to stock, before gingerbread. The situation stayed the same and when it upgraded it was still the same. It still always says it's charging, the battery level sometimes randomly changes, the nagging beep, and can't turn it on normally- I thought those issues of my life left with the ex.
I did clean the connector, and I haven't downloaded any apps or anything. It sucks not having them.

c_emejia

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
My phone just started doing the exact same thing. It happened when I tried to download a game from a banner inside another game. I think it is a virus. It never did finish the download but I have the game icon on the corner of the screen whenever I am using the original game. I tried to use an antivirus app but it said I wasnt infected. If anyone else figures this out please post a solution. tnx

epiales38

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
My hubby has now had 2 galaxie prevails first one started doing the chargeing issue 36 days after her got it then it overheated and screen fried..(nothing was done about it had to wait till we could buy another ) he likes the phone and figured mayb it was a bug so I got him another one and now 5 months later charging issue has started again and yes I have to plug in phone to get it to turn back on he even had some call issues when he was talking to me iit kept sounding like he was muting out off and on and of course we know buying new diff phone a must he can't b walking into cusstomers houses beeping and vibing...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe1335