WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

weboston

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
There is an app in the market called Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether.

I bought this when I had the Droid Charge and I was extremely pleased it works with my Nexus.

As some have asked, I am not rooted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The widget says USB tether. How I get laptop to connect to my galaxy nexus via USB? Thank you!

Reactions: DBVille

rollyfingaz

May 21, 2010
Visit site
There is a new app in the Market called "Fast Wi-Fi USB BT Tether" by Yangling Chen. It free and works with non rooted Galaxy Nexus'.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

garberfc

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm the developer of this app, so thanks to the OP and to Android Central for helping to publicize it, I really appreciate it!

I have never heard of any user incurring charges from the carrier for using this app.

On some phones, with some carriers, there is software that redirects all traffic to the carrier's home page, encouraging you to sign up for the hotspot plan, but if you don't choose to sign up, then they don't bill you.
From what I've been told, this app works fine with Galaxy Nexus (traffic is not redirected).
However, it is always possible that some time in the future, a carrier may block the app.

Happy Holidays,
Doug

Search Android Market for "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether" by SVTP or follow these links:

Paid Version $9.99 - 5 day money-back guarantee
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspot

Free Trial - 2 days
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspotdemo
Hi Doug,

I installed the app on my GN and it appears to be working fine. I'm just wondering why in the Settings -> Data Usage I'm seeing the data being counted against "Tethering & portable hotspot" with just a small amount of data being charged against "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether"??

TIA F

android_jedi123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile, I found, redirects webpages based on what they detect as the browser's user-agent.

My Phone's user-agent is ""Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1"

Thus, any web request, tethered or otherwise, shall pass if you use a user-agent switcher on your pc browser and manually set the string accordingly.

If it sees a user-agent like chrome, it redirects to the upsell page.

Muddyml

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
OK so I just noticed something weird. I had this installed and it was working perfectly. I just noticed that the shortcut on my home screen was missing this morning though. I checked my app drawer and it was not there either. I went into the market and it was there showing it installed and I can click open from inside the market and it's like nothing is wrong and the app opens. I restarted my phone thinking that maybe this was just a fluke but again it doesn't appear my app drawer and it doesn't appear on my home screen anymore. :confused:

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm curious to know if verizon somehow made it invisible or whatever on my phone. Since I've had it installed I've used it for maybe 10 minutes with a total download of only 50 MB.

EDIT: never mind I found it. Apparently there was an update on the 26th and it's been renamed to "svtp".

Last edited:

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
OK so i only read a few pages, but has anyone posted a free app/setting that lets you use the built-in MHS/tether when rooted? i dont mind using a new app if required but shouldnt there be a way to use the stock system when rooted?

Beef_Curtains

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded the free app, isn't working with my Moto Droid Bionic. It just goes into the Verizon provisioning screen and says that my order can't be processed. Has anyone with a Bionic confirmed this app to work?

snapperheadjoe

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been using this app consistently on the AT&T network? I just installed it today on my Galaxy S II (not Skyrocket) and it works perfectly. I was able to hit the hotspot from my Iconia Tablet and my Compaq Mini with no issue. I did get that annoying AT&T message "Your account doesn't have a tethering plan blah blah blah". However I restarted the phone and after that its been running perfectly. I just don't want to get surprise charges on my next bill. I only plan on using this when I need to get on the internet with a larger display and am not near a wifi hotspot. So my usage won't be much over the course of a month but I know that At&t is a hog and wants to take every penny. Since every post I've read either refers to Verizon or Sprint I want to verify that At&T users aren't in for a big SURPRISE from big BLue come their next bill. So any At&T users give a shout out with your experience with this app and how it impacted (or not) your bill. I have to say I am very happy with the performance, ease of use and that fact that it just WORKS. That alone says more than alot of the junk that is out there on the app market trying to masquarade as usefull apps.

UPDATE: I have used this app to connect my tablet and Mini for two days now. I haven't gotten and nasty emails from At&T nor has any strange data usage been logged, under "hotspot" usage, other that what i have actually used. So I am very happy with it. I think I'll wait a week or so after the free trial runs out and buy the pro version if nothing happens with the T.

Last edited:

snapperheadjoe

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
can someone answer this pls?
I can only tell you that I have been using this app occasionally for the last 4 weeks and I haven't gotten a single email or notice or addiontal charge on my statement. I only use it when I need to access a machine remotely RDP or VNC or I need to do a bit of research and there is no hotspot around. To put it in perspective I used 946MB of data last month out of that probably 100MB was through this app.

I don't know what would happen if I started to use it daily and racked up hundreds of megs of use, i'm sure that would throw a red flag with my carrier. Since i use it sparingly I believe they either ignore it or they simply can't differentiate it from my regular traffic.

Hope this helps.

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
so this afternoon, I tried using the tethering service on my phone, which used to work but now doesn't...

the widget i'm using is portable wifi hotspot (free).

can anyone else still confirm that this still work?

*I'm running stocked everything, no mod, no root and on 4.0.2

*** nevermind, I just had a scared there. First the Portable WiFi hotspot configure screen showed an error. I just power cycled my phone and ran an ipconfig/release and /renew and it is working.

Last edited:

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
The free one works on my bionic (not rooted). I plan to buy the pro version so I can keep using it.

You posted this a few days ago so I'm probably too late but you can get Elixir 2 - Widgets for free and install a hotspot toggle. Save yourself $10. Wish I knew about it before I bought this app. I like Elixir better because the widget is more responsive (to me at least) and the phone vibrates when you press it, but more importantly it's free. :p

JayBurry2011

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so as I have been using this on my Droid Charge for months. I think they can only tell how much data you are using and not what you are using it for.

And sudden jumps in data consumption are a red flag. I found a trick using pro switch, and use it very sparingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332