WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried FoxFi? Gf is using it on her unrooted Charge without any issues. Free app.

Yes, just as good if not better than this app specifically because its free. I think this app has compatibility with more phones than foxfi right now, but as long as you have a supported phone (ie GNex) theres no difference.

dukerok12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
right now i am using foxfi on my galaxy nexus and it will cap my speed at 5mb but i know my local 4g network can get up to 20mbps. is there any way to change the max speed in foxfi? if not can this app exceed 5mbps since i hear both app are almost identical

sin2live

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been using this for about two months now. I think as long as you don't don't overdue the tethering you'll be fine. I have the unlimited data and I try not to do more than 4GB a month. I also heard that customers who over did their unlimited data plans had them taken away and turned into the basic data plan. Not sure if that is true but I'm just going to keep playing it safe.

john_dale

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I have this app and it works great...EXCEPT...

When I'm on my bluetooth headset on a phone call. Then the hotspot goes dead and I have no internet connection on my laptop.

ANYONE ELSE having this problem too?

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Verizon came out a month or so ago and confirm that wifi tethering is free on their network now. The people who need to watch out for throttling, are the ones who use too much 4 g over 5 gigabytes. Just a little info. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

john_dale

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
sorry. I should have said that the issue of no hotspot when on my bluetooth happens when I'm on 4G. It's not at "voice kills data on 3G" problem because a) I'm in 4G territory and b) it doesn't happen when I'm either on the handset or a wired headset.

Thanks!

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon came out a month or so ago and confirm that wifi tethering is free on their network now. The people who need to watch out for throttling, are the ones who use too much 4 g over 5 gigabytes. Just a little info. :)

wuch u talkin bout Willis?

john_dale

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I saw something where VZW is not charging for tethering to an iPad 3 4G, so maybe there is some confusion between that offer from Verizon and tethering from our phones?

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
No. no confusion call Verizon and verify for yourself. I by no means know the details to everybody's contract. I know my contract I don't have to pay for wifi tethering or hotspot. I do not own ipad3. I'll look for the thread I got the information from. I'm sure you can google it. I believe verizon found out there's no way they can stop it. :)

john_dale

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Well that's super cool. Thanks I'd love to see the thread where you got the information. Please pass it on if you can find it and thank you!

SleepyTheDon

Q&A Team
Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I hate to be the bad news bringer but i had to call VZW and i called 6 times to make sure my answer was consistent and YES THEY CHARGE FOR WiFi TETHERING AKA MOBILE HOTSPOT

:-$

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow, can't believe I never saw this before! A flat $15 beats $30 a month 10 days a week. I'm actually very surprised these guys haven't been shut down (or are at least more popular).

Suuriously though, any risk of this app getting taken away if the big boys complain about it loud enough?

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I hate to be the bad news bringer but i had to call VZW and i called 6 times to make sure my answer was consistent and YES THEY CHARGE FOR WiFi TETHERING AKA MOBILE HOTSPOT

:-$

the apps and methods discussed in this thread are explicitly ways to get around paying verizon for tethering, since the phones support the ability natively. these are legit and without any monthly fees.

Cherylgrrl

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok ....bare with me on this. I am NOT tech at all.

Why would you need this or WIFI when you have 4G?

Especially the person that is going to Vegas. Wouldn't it be perfect 4G there?

I'm here to learn so take it easy on me. :p

I am sympathetic... most of the people here are pretty advanced! You use a hotspot to create a wifi signal with your phone that you can pick up with other devices. I use it for work while traveling to get Internet on my laptop. I was lucky enough to get in on the old offer of $30/month unlimited in late March -- so glad I did. On my old Droid I had one of the hotspot apps but Verizon figured it out. One day I went to turn it on and I got a screen from Verizon inviting me to sign up for hotspot service! Hopefully this won't happen to all the folks using this app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174