Will Allo replace your current messaging app?

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
They sure are - it's been going through beta testing for a while now. I wonder if they'll just hold off and release it with the next Nexus

This is what I read somewhere they were doing. Holding off till official release of Nougat.

Posted via the Android Central App

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I will only try it if providing phone numbers is optional. Otherwise, I'll keep using Hangouts.

What's the deal about about that?

This is what I read somewhere they were doing. Holding off till official release of Nougat.

Posted via the Android Central App

If that's the case and it requires 7.0 to run, forget about it. Only about 50 people will be able to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What's the deal about about that?

There are some people I need to communicate with but I don't wish to give my personal phone number to such as community groups and organization to which I belong. The people are acquaintances but not close enough to be friends and have my phone number.

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
There are some people I need to communicate with but I don't wish to give my personal phone number to such as community groups and organization to which I belong. The people are acquaintances but not close enough to be friends and have my phone number.

That's why we have email. :) Just saying.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
really hoping it does sms. If it doesn't I really won't be able to use it. Highly doubt I could convince friends and family that is this better than facebook messenger or imessage, both of which they're already using. Google needs to push this and push it hard if it wants to succeed unless they want it banished to the isle of misfit google products where Wave, Buzz, and Glass hangout amongst others.

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
really hoping it does sms. If it doesn't I really won't be able to use it. Highly doubt I could convince friends and family that is this better than facebook messenger or imessage, both of which they're already using. Google needs to push this and push it hard if it wants to succeed unless they want it banished to the isle of misfit google products where Wave, Buzz, and Glass hangout amongst others.

Those are my thoughts exactly. My friends and family only want to use SMS or Facebook Messenger. They have no desire nor care about anything other than that.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
If Allo is link to my phone number, it will replace the messaging app but I will continue using Hangout for my Google Voice number
If it can support more than 1 number it would become my default messaging app

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Those are my thoughts exactly. My friends and family only want to use SMS or Facebook Messenger. They have no desire nor care about anything other than that.

Exactly lol. The non nerd members of society are happy with what they have. This will be a tough sell. I probably won't get to use it without SMS. Which sucks because it looks like it could be a great app

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not jumping into the Allo/Duo bandwagon unless:

• I can have accounts on the same app (dual sim devices exist after all)
  • I can have them on my wifi only tablet
  • I can have the account on more than one phone at once (so I can still have it on my backup phone after the main one's battery goes flat)
  • I can have group chats and group video chats
  • I can have a desktop client
Until then, I'm remaining with Hangouts and Telegram...

Burnsj90

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
It seems like it's gonna be a great messaging app. With the feature and function they displayed at Google i/o. I can't wait for the release

VitaminA

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I recently switched from using Hangouts for SMS to Google Messenger, because I wasn't really liking how Hangouts worked for SMS. Messenger has been perfectly fine, so I can't say I'm needing Allo; but I am still looking forward to trying it out. Sounds like it will have some useful additions, and eventually, Messenger very well could be gone anyway.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

As of right now, it uses your number similar to WhatsApp.

And if it did SMS, you really wouldn't be getting the full feature set of Allo in those conversations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana