Will Allo replace your current messaging app?

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
If it has seamless SMS integration, absolutely. Otherwise it's pointless. I already switch between apps for chat (FB Messenger) and SMS (Textra).

Then it's going to be work trying to get others I know to use it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If it has seamless SMS integration, absolutely. Otherwise it's pointless. I already switch between apps for chat (FB Messenger) and SMS (Textra).

Then it's going to be work trying to get others I know to use it.

Doesn't Facebook Messenger do SMS/MMS?

Queen Kong1

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
DOA. No way am I spamming people with a message to install a new app. All they had to do was mimic iMessage sms fallback, use our own number also not some relay! oh well fix it i might install it

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I would like to point out that Allo allows you to send full size video (including 4k) and it really doesn't compress it. It might be one of Allo's saving grace.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would like to point out that Allo allows you to send full size video (including 4k) and it really doesn't compress it. It might be one of Allo's saving grace.
And you'll never be able to do that with MMS.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but it doesn't do it seamlessly/merge conversations... so I still have separate conversations for SMS and Chat. I hate that.

Curious, is there an Android messaging app that does merge conversations?

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Curious, is there an Android messaging app that does merge conversations?

I'm not sure if there is, because I can't quite try/test them all - because requesting friends to download another app becomes tiresome (to me) and bothersome (to them).

Though, I think Hangouts does?

cweb69

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Been a hangouts user for a few years now, and wish i could replace it completely with Allo, but I don't see it happening. Honestly, the only people that I know using Hangouts are my wife and son. I use SMS for everyone else. So unless Allo picks up true SMS support, which I don't see it doing, I'll have to use another text app. I am going to give up Hangouts though and start using Messenger for SMS.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I installed it and then almost immediately deleted it. Without proper sms support I would be like the kid with only one walkie talkie.

Posted via the Android Central App

swish_08

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
would love to try this app but i heard it doesn't support SMS messaging.</3 will have to wait for a few updates and see if they will add that feature in the future.

LyricalNonsense

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
I do enjoy the concept of it, and the overall look and polish is the Google standard, top notch, quality. However, it is overly lacking in critical components, such as no option to set it as the default messenger. I feel that if Google merged Allo and Hangouts together it would create a very powerful and usable solution.